Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unable to transfer FSD due to firmware compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Model Y LR on order with delivery date scheduled for Monday, and a 2018 Model 3 with FSD trade-in to Tesla.

My main motivators for buying now are the FSD transfer and the 7500 tax credit.

I signed and submitted the FSD transfer doc this morning.

I just got this notice from the Tesla rep working the delivery:
"The firmware is not compatible and we are not able to transfer the FSD."

I thought this was a license transfer. Are new Model Y's not eligible for FSD? I searched but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere,
hopefully this is some internal Tesla misunderstanding.

The firmware on the current vehicle theoretically should not matter, but people have reported the same thing:
There is some sort of glitch on Tesla’s back end that has our 2018 cars listed as incompatible with FSD.

The sales guy last night was adamant that my car had HW2.0 (with which a model 3 never shipped) and was visibly confused when he looked through my Tesla app to show me that my car didn’t have FSD. Naturally my car does have FSD and HW3 and it just didn’t compute. Reality doesn’t match what their computer is saying.

At a high level, the transfer should involve making the vehicle software screen no longer show "Full Self Driving Capability Included package" but "Autopilot Included package" instead. It should not matter what firmware or hardware you currently have or are buying as the FSD Capability purchase is a software option associated to your vehicle on Tesla's servers. Presumably that same server data for your purchase is also reflected in both the Tesla Account webpage as well as Tesla App > Upgrades > Manage Upgrades > Active view.

Maybe sending photo of the vehicle software screen and/or screenshot of the upgrades view to the Tesla rep will help clarify? Hopefully whatever back end confusion that's currently happening gets resolved before even more people encounter it towards the end of Q3.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have an Model Y LR on order with delivery date scheduled for Monday, and a 2018 Model 3 with FSD trade-in to Tesla.

My main motivators for buying now are the FSD transfer and the 7500 tax credit.

I signed and submitted the FSD transfer doc this morning.

I just got this notice from the Tesla rep working the delivery:
"The firmware is not compatible and we are not able to transfer the FSD."

I thought this was a license transfer. Are new Model Y's not eligible for FSD? I searched but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere,
hopefully this is some internal Tesla misunderstanding.
My delivery is set for Monday. It’s been two days since I requested FSD transfer and haven’t seen any update. How long did it take you to be notified of this issue? FYI I have a 2018 model 3 as well.

I was told the same thing initially about my 2018 Model 3, but other advisors at Tesla have confirmed that we are eligible for the transfer. The person who told me our car wasn't eligible said it was because we added FSD after delivery, but in 2018 that was the only way you could get FSD. Keep pushing back.

Reactions: Pricedm
I placed my order a week ago. I had to keep asking (via replying to the text messages about my order) for things like my trade-in and the documents to transfer FSD. I submitted the FSD transfer document this morning and got the "sorry we can't do that" email this afternoon. I have had two exchanges with the person at Tesla and they insist this can't be done. I have asked twice for escalation but so far no luck. They just told me that they understand if I want to cancel! I have a voicemail into the local delivery team. I'll keep pushing and hopefully this will get fixed before the end of Q3. I'm not taking delivery without the Elon promised FSD transfer. And I can't imagine this is what Elon would want to be happening.

I was told the same thing initially about my 2018 Model 3, but other advisors at Tesla have confirmed that we are eligible for the transfer. The person who told me our car wasn't eligible said it was because we added FSD after delivery, but in 2018 that was the only way you could get FSD. Keep pushing back.
Not a big deal, but just to nit pick: we did include FSD Capability package in our original 2018 Model 3 order placed in March 2018. We didn't purchase after delivery.

Reactions: brkaus
The latest reply from the Tesla associate:
"I understand; however, there are still certain requirements that have to be met. Your 2018 Model 3 does not meet the requirements. There is nothing being missed as there is not a way to approve this"

I've asked "what requirements are there besides it has FSD?" and sent a screen shot of my Tesla.com account that shows FSD on the car. Waiting for a reply.

The latest reply from the Tesla associate:
"I understand; however, there are still certain requirements that have to be met. Your 2018 Model 3 does not meet the requirements. There is nothing being missed as there is not a way to approve this"

I've asked "what requirements are there besides it has FSD?" and sent a screen shot of my Tesla.com account that shows FSD on the car. Waiting for a reply.
Incorrect info and WRONG. You need to politely escalate. The requirements are "Be the legal and registered owner of a vehicle that currently has FSD Capability...". As long as you meet this you are eligible to have FSD Capability transferred.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 6.59.01 AM.png

Incorrect info and WRONG. You need to politely escalate. The requirements are "Be the legal and registered owner of a vehicle that currently has FSD Capability...". As long as you meet this you are eligible to have FSD Capability transferred.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here successfully managed to break through this firewall after asking to escalate the matter and get all the way through the delivery process and then take posession? I've seen a number of posters say they were able to get approval after escalating the matter...but have they actually gotten the final MVPA corrected and taken delivery or just "assurance" from a delivery agent?

I'm in sort of the same boat as the OP. First, I was told last Friday on the online chat that I could definitely transfer. On Saturday I wanted to confirm before ordering, and this time the online chat agent said my Vin did not qualify (note: I have a 2018 Model 3, purchased FSD after delivery in early 2019, had new computer installed, and have been of FSD-beta since Oct 2021). After perusing these forums I decided to give it a second try and just contact a service center directly. I contacted a dealership in Kansas City about an inventory vehicle. They assured me the FSD would transfer to the new vehicle, gave me the transfer terms, and told me how to place the order (i.e., add FSD). After placing the order I reached out to them to schedule the pickup and re-confirm the FSD transfer. Initially they said I would not qualify for transfer because their system said I only had enhanced autopilot...but then they confirmed with someone in their service department who could see I had FSD-beta on my vehicle and found the 2019 order for FSD. So they again assured me the FSD transfer would proceed. I signed the FSD transfer document 2 days ago, they said they were "escalating" the transfer, and that the MVPA would have a 15K credit adjustment within 72 hours of purchase.

The problem is my scheduled pickup is tomorrow morning in Kansas City and my MVPA has still not been updated...and every time I call the dealership they assure me everything is fine and it will be adjusted prior to pickup. However, I'm not super thrilled to drive 5 hours to KC just to be told "oh you don't have the correct firmware."

On the plus side, I have an entire string of emails and text messages instructing me how to place an order by adding FSD and assuring me I can transfer...so I'm pretty confident I can still get my deposit back by just filing a fraud dispute with my credit card company.

Reactions: Steph614
Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here successfully managed to break through this firewall after asking to escalate the matter and get all the way through the delivery process and then take posession? I've seen a number of posters say they were able to get approval after escalating the matter...but have they actually gotten the final MVPA corrected and taken delivery or just "assurance" from a delivery agent?

I'm in sort of the same boat as the OP. First, I was told last Friday on the online chat that I could definitely transfer. On Saturday I wanted to confirm before ordering, and this time the online chat agent said my Vin did not qualify (note: I have a 2018 Model 3, purchased FSD after delivery in early 2019, had new computer installed, and have been of FSD-beta since Oct 2021). After perusing these forums I decided to give it a second try and just contact a service center directly. I contacted a dealership in Kansas City about an inventory vehicle. They assured me the FSD would transfer to the new vehicle, gave me the transfer terms, and told me how to place the order (i.e., add FSD). After placing the order I reached out to them to schedule the pickup and re-confirm the FSD transfer. Initially they said I would not qualify for transfer because their system said I only had enhanced autopilot...but then they confirmed with someone in their service department who could see I had FSD-beta on my vehicle and found the 2019 order for FSD. So they again assured me the FSD transfer would proceed. I signed the FSD transfer document 2 days ago, they said they were "escalating" the transfer, and that the MVPA would have a 15K credit adjustment within 72 hours of purchase.

The problem is my scheduled pickup is tomorrow morning in Kansas City and my MVPA has still not been updated...and every time I call the dealership they assure me everything is fine and it will be adjusted prior to pickup. However, I'm not super thrilled to drive 5 hours to KC just to be told "oh you don't have the correct firmware."

On the plus side, I have an entire string of emails and text messages instructing me how to place an order by adding FSD and assuring me I can transfer...so I'm pretty confident I can still get my deposit back by just filing a fraud dispute with my credit card company.
Just a follow up to this last post. Literally 30 minutes after posting this I got the adjustment to my MVPA. 24 hours before pickup is a bit close...but at least it worked out.

Just a follow up to this last post. Literally 30 minutes after posting this I got the adjustment to my MVPA. 24 hours before pickup is a bit close...but at least it worked out.
Congrats and this gives me hope! I am also tryinig to work this through the local delivery team. How did you escalate with the Tesla associate at corporate? Just ask to escalate? And did it have to go up more than one level before you got resolved? I have pictures of the car's screen, the Tesla app, and the Tesla.com account page all showing my car has FSD. I did not add FSD to my Model Y order yet, I don't want to do that until someone tells me in writing that I am able to transfer.

Congrats and this gives me hope! I am also tryinig to work this through the local delivery team. How did you escalate with the Tesla associate at corporate? Just ask to escalate? And did it have to go up more than one level before you got resolved? I have pictures of the car's screen, the Tesla app, and the Tesla.com account page all showing my car has FSD. I did not add FSD to my Model Y order yet, I don't want to do that until someone tells me in writing that I am able to transfer.
I didn't really have to ask specifically to escalate the situation...they did that for me (at the dealership) when they were able to see I had FSD on my current model.

Before I placed my order I was texting with a sales advisor at the dealership. He gave me the terms and told me to add FSD to the order at checkout and that it would be adjusted in the final MVPA. It wasn't until I called to confirm the delivery date that they then said their system listed my vin as only having enhanced autopilot. But apparently someone in their service department was able to confirm FSD was on my car, and at that point they said they would file an escalation.

I wonder if the dealerships are able to escalate these things easier than their online sales teams because they have service centers that can see the exact software on your car?

I didn't really have to ask specifically to escalate the situation...they did that for me (at the dealership) when they were able to see I had FSD on my current model.

Before I placed my order I was texting with a sales advisor at the dealership. He gave me the terms and told me to add FSD to the order at checkout and that it would be adjusted in the final MVPA. It wasn't until I called to confirm the delivery date that they then said their system listed my vin as only having enhanced autopilot. But apparently someone in their service department was able to confirm FSD was on my car, and at that point they said they would file an escalation.

I wonder if the dealerships are able to escalate these things easier than their online sales teams because they have service centers that can see the exact software on your car?
Thanks, that helps. I have not had any texts from the dealership yet - at least I'm pretty sure the texts and emails with documentation are coming from corporate?? Sounds like I may need to make a field trip to the service center tomorrow so they can see for themselves that the car has FSD.
I get the feeling the company wasn't 100% prepared for the "FSD amnesty" announcement they made on the earnings call and are scrambling to plug the holes in the process.

Thanks, that helps. I have not had any texts from the dealership yet - at least I'm pretty sure the texts and emails with documentation are coming from corporate?? Sounds like I may need to make a field trip to the service center tomorrow so they can see for themselves that the car has FSD.
I get the feeling the company wasn't 100% prepared for the "FSD amnesty" announcement they made on the earnings call and are scrambling to plug the holes in the process.
Tell you advise that you want them to get a copy of the Terms and Conditions and underline exactly what is in them that excludes your car and email to you. That of course will be impossible. For reference here is copy. This is the older version and #4 has been changed to allow you to sell FSD with your car to a 3ed party but that is unrelated.

FSD.png

Tell you advise that you want them to get a copy of the Terms and Conditions and underline exactly what is in them that excludes your car and email to you. That of course will be impossible. For reference here is copy. This is the older version and #4 has been changed to allow you to sell FSD with your car to a 3ed party but that is unrelated.

View attachment 960376

Thanks, that's great advice. Weird that three of Tesla's systems all show my car with FSD (app, Tesla.com and the software in the car) but apparently the one used to qualify transfers was likely not updated with my FSD upgrade back in 2019.

Still crickets from the local delivery team. When I took delivery of my Model S in 2016 it was like going into a high end hotel and getting personal attention. Now I feel like I'm waving my arms in the middle of the crowd hoping to be noticed :) .

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and TresLA
The official support page for Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers doesn't mention anything about firmware compatibility.
Yes, I think this was the Tesla agent's attempt to communicate that in their system, my Model 3 appeared to be ineligible, probably due to the fact that I added FSD as an upgrade and the system they use wasn't updated to show that. Or maybe that's the lingo that the system reports back to the agent when they attempt the transfer. Who knows?

Yes, I think this was the Tesla agent's attempt to communicate that in their system, my Model 3 appeared to be ineligible, probably due to the fact that I added FSD as an upgrade and the system they use wasn't updated to show that. Or maybe that's the lingo that the system reports back to the agent when they attempt the transfer. Who knows?
I'm going to quote what I said in another tread.

This is what happens when you CEO pulls policy out of their a$$ on an earnings call leaving everyone scrabbling to implement it. Chaos ensues