Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

corrupted firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new Model S (80 miles and 3-days old) became undrivable when I attempted to do my first OTA update. Has anyone experienced the problem I have or do you have any other thoughts?

1) I have very weak wifi signal strength in my building's garage even when driving the car close to the router. My 2015 MS had much stronger signal strength and my cellphone sees a weak signal when the new MS doesn't see the network or sees it momentarily with one bar.

2) I then tried downloading the update via my cellphone hotspot but got to 83% before it shut down due to having reached my cellphone data limit.

3) I was unable to connect to the Starbucks network due to a known issue with some public hotspots that Tesla identified. Eventually, I could connect at another public spot with signal-strength bars fluctuating between two and three. After two disconnects, the update was downloaded.

4) When I installed the downloaded update, the process stalled at 10% for 1.5 hours, and then again at 30%. [there were no intermediate progress % noted aside from 10% & 30%.] Tesla Service worked with me over the phone to reboot or try over-the-air corrections from their side. Nothing worked, and eventually, they sent a tow truck.

5) The service center verified that my wifi antenna and other hardware was OK. They said that the interrupted download process resulted in a firmware corruption which they had to manually restore.

Everything is now working fine, but I am wary about the next OTA update.

Any thoughts or good ideas?

Get a good, reliable WiFi connection for the next update. Drive to McDonald's or other good WiFi near you to update. Buy a cheap WiFi network extender for the garage, maybe. The 2.4Ghz signal goes a farther distance than the faster 5Ghz signal, so maybe select that. Corruption doesn't happen all that often.

Reactions: Yelobird