Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in RANGE MODE all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not routinely use range mode as it DOES shorten battery life at least for the Roadster. Lithium batteries degrade faster at a full charge. It will take 10's of thousands of miles to see the result as the damage is slight. If like the Roadster you will normally get better watts/mile as the power in the Roadster is cut in half. So fewer spirited launches saves on power usage.

I would not routinely use range mode as it DOES shorten battery life at least for the Roadster. Lithium batteries degrade faster at a full charge. It will take 10's of thousands of miles to see the result as the damage is slight. If like the Roadster you will normally get better watts/mile as the power in the Roadster is cut in half. So fewer spirited launches saves on power usage.
This thread discusses Range Mode for the HVAC, not the battery charging level.

OT: My better half likes range mode for HVAC (because of the lower noise), but I find it can't keep up with August weather.

This thread discusses Range Mode for the HVAC, not the battery charging level.

OT: My better half likes range mode for HVAC (because of the lower noise), but I find it can't keep up with August weather.

I switched to range mode HVAC after 6 months to see how it would affect mileage and indeed, my total average since I got the car has dropped from 340 kW to 327 and on short daily commutes/errands to as low as 290. Neither my wife or I have suffered any lack of comfort even here in FL although NE FL is probably a few degrees cooler than S/SW FL or TX. Of course it could also be due to the fact that we both were born and grew up in the tropics and can probably tolerate heat a little better than most. :rolleyes:

It seems that in hot climate supercharging and rangemode is a problem, but that is perhaps not because of range mode itself, but rather the AC-limit range mode-makes.

Based on what?

There was one report of someone receiving a reduced charge rate at a supercharger in Arizona on a hot day, but I was also told by Tesla Service that situation occurred because of the sensitivity of Tesla's coolant pumps. In hot climates, they send out data which causes the charge current to be lowered. A number of coolant pumps have been swapped for ones with updated software, but service told me that a new firmware version (perhaps 6) will address this issue via software for the entire fleet. My pump threw an error and service is waiting for the software solution instead of replacing the pump. Engineering turned off the warning so I don't have to look at it.

There is absolutely no evidence that I can find that would implicate range mode in supercharging problems. The car will cool its systems as needed and according to its own logic, not impacted by your climate control settings.

Because of this thread I tried driving with the AC in range mode today. Liked it a lot. Not only is the unit a lot quieter outside, but I liked the reduced noise and reduced fan blast inside as well, and didn't feel any less comfortable during the drive.

Now I don't see why I would not leave it in range mode all the time.

I think you're confusing "Trip Charge" with "Range Driving Mode". I'm glad they renamed the former, in part because it assists in dispelling this confusion.

I've been in range mode since I took delivery. Havent seen a reason to change it. AC is great and summer is pretty much over in New England. Perhaps its needed for hotter places like CA or AZ?
I go the other way. I like having knobs to turn to get improved range in a pinch. So I leave range mode off so that my "human calibration" is aligned with "normal" range.

If I owned something signficantly less range (i.e. a non-Tesla), I would probably use it differently.

I'm the opposite. I don't find Range Mode makes any difference whatsoever in the winter, so I just leave it in Normal. In the summer, I prefer the quieter operation of Range with the a/c.

Range mode in winter doesn't do much for you because you have a long commute (IIRC). Mine is 25 miles each way. Range mode really helps (as long as you can remember to charge with range mode off).

In the summer by starting with a higher than normal setting on auto (25 to 26 degrees with outside temperatures of 35 to 40) the noise doesn't get particularly loud, then I adjust it lower as the cabin cools. No loud sounds and better range than range mode.

Range mode in winter doesn't do much for you because you have a long commute (IIRC). Mine is 25 miles each way. Range mode really helps (as long as you can remember to charge with range mode off).

I do. About 40 miles each way and I think that this is why Range Mode doesn't help in my circumstances. I do keep it off in the winter, but why do you recommend it? Is it because the pack heating may not be as effective?

In the summer by starting with a higher than normal setting on auto (25 to 26 degrees with outside temperatures of 35 to 40) the noise doesn't get particularly loud, then I adjust it lower as the cabin cools. No loud sounds and better range than range mode.

I have had the a/c noise TSB applied and that has helped. It is much quieter from the outside, but I still hear and feel vibration on the inside. I see how your trick would work, but I've been happy just keeping it in Range in the summer. The only thing I wish is that it wouldn't limit the cabin fan to 8. I can't imagine the difference between 8 and 11 on the cabin fan makes that much of a difference.

Based on what?

There was one report of someone receiving a reduced charge rate at a supercharger in Arizona on a hot day, but I was also told by Tesla Service that situation occurred because of the sensitivity of Tesla's coolant pumps. In hot climates, they send out data which causes the charge current to be lowered. A number of coolant pumps have been swapped for ones with updated software, but service told me that a new firmware version (perhaps 6) will address this issue via software for the entire fleet. My pump threw an error and service is waiting for the software solution instead of replacing the pump. Engineering turned off the warning so I don't have to look at it.

There is absolutely no evidence that I can find that would implicate range mode in supercharging problems. The car will cool its systems as needed and according to its own logic, not impacted by your climate control settings.
But range mode restricts AC-output, unlrss Tesla has a mechanism that overrides this when using a SC I would say that it is a problem if chargespeed is significantly lower.

I do. About 40 miles each way and I think that this is why Range Mode doesn't help in my circumstances. I do keep it off in the winter, but why do you recommend it? Is it because the pack heating may not be as effective?

I've found that the pack warms up while charging if you charge in standard mode, and doesn't, or at least doesn't warm more than a minimum amount, if you charge in range mode (assumes you time the charging so that it ends about the time you start driving). Charging and pre-heating in standard mode results in the battery not having to do as much heating after you start driving, and also the heat exchanger is used more than the resistive heating elements. Note that my car sits outside, this might not be an issue if it was in a heated garage.

My wish is that range mode would be automatically disabled when plugged in and then reenabled when the plug was removed (assuming it was in range mode before plugging in).

On really hot summer days, I have found that Range Mode does not provide enough cooling for short around-town drives. When in standard mode, you can slow the fan and A/C unit down by raising the interior temp a couple of degrees: 72F to 74F. In the winter, the correct temp setting seems to be in the 66F to 68F range.

My wish is that range mode would be automatically disabled when plugged in and then reenabled when the plug was removed (assuming it was in range mode before plugging in).

You're right and to be honest, I just assumed it would work that way. In other words, when on shore power, use the shore power to the maximum insofar as cabin and battery heating goes so that when you unplug, you are starting out as warmed up as you can be.

Is this true? It is not recommended to keep range mode on?

RANGE CHARGE IS ‘STICKY': Selecting a Range-mode charge is an option that will not go back to “standard” after the charge. Repeatedly charging in “Range” mode is not good for the batteries and Tesla cautions against frequent use, so user needs to remember to set this setting back to normal after a range charge.
Read more at Tesla Model S Hidden Features, Tips, Tricks Tidbits - TESLARATI.com