Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How coolant level affected my range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm writing this post to help those owners who witness similar issues that I had with my range.

The car:
2020 M3LRAB bought used from Tesla with 38K miles on it.

Symptoms:
3%-5% charge drop while parked.
Dramatic range drop while driving.
AC not blowing cold enough.
Fan running for a long time after supercharging.

The story:
The best miles traveled was about 180 with average of 150 which is half the advertised. Given the age of the car, I would have been happy to get 250.

One day I saw the low coolant alert in the service mode. I opened a service ticket and Tesla found a leak and replaced the coolant reservoir along with complete flush and fill.

Now my range has increased dramatically. Infact, every time I park after driving, my range goes up.

Reasons:
It is strange that the low coolant level alert did not show outside of Service mode despite that they was a leak. Because the coolant system connected with AC, battery and other electrical/ electronics components all in series, the coolant level becomes very important for thermal sensitivity and efficiency.

20231025_120340.jpg

Thanks for this info!

I'm writing this post to help those owners who witness similar issues that I had with my range.

The car:
2020 M3LRAB bought used from Tesla with 38K miles on it.

Symptoms:
3%-5% charge drop while parked.
Dramatic range drop while driving.
AC not blowing cold enough.
Fan running for a long time after supercharging.

The story:
The best miles traveled was about 180 with average of 150 which is half the advertised. Given the age of the car, I would have been happy to get 250.

One day I saw the low coolant alert in the service mode. I opened a service ticket and Tesla found a leak and replaced the coolant reservoir along with complete flush and fill.

Now my range has increased dramatically. Infact, every time I park after driving, my range goes up.

Reasons:
It is strange that the low coolant level alert did not show outside of Service mode despite that they was a leak. Because the coolant system connected with AC, battery and other electrical/ electronics components all in series, the coolant level becomes very important for thermal sensitivity and efficiency.

View attachment 990721

Thanks for this.

What did this mean:

>One day I saw the low coolant alert in the service mode.