Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early 2019 Model 3 Performance - Coolant Top Up Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I searched (maybe not well enough, just yell at me).

My coolant level was below the line on the bottle when I bought the car years ago. Foolish me, I didn't bug the service center about it in the few visits I had with them.

The level has not changed over years and I've not been able to find any evidence of a leak, so I'm just planning to top up myself. 75K miles so I'm past the bumper to bumper.

So my questions:

Standard G-48 coolant, right? Is there a preferred brand? 50/50 mix?

Just remove the cap and top up to the line on the bottle?

Thanks.

Yes, I searched (maybe not well enough, just yell at me).

My coolant level was below the line on the bottle when I bought the car years ago. Foolish me, I didn't bug the service center about it in the few visits I had with them.

The level has not changed over years and I've not been able to find any evidence of a leak, so I'm just planning to top up myself. 75K miles so I'm past the bumper to bumper.

So my questions:

Standard G-48 coolant, right? Is there a preferred brand? 50/50 mix?

Just remove the cap and top up to the line on the bottle?

Thanks.
Yes, I used Valvoline Zerex G48 Low Silicate/Phosphate Free 50/50 Ready-to-Use Antifreeze.

If your coolant doesn’t continue to leak you should be good. There is a tread on early model 3 with a bad valve on the superbottle which causes coolant to leak out slowly and not passing the thermal performance test under service mode. It cost me around $700 to have a new superbottle replaced, coolant topped off and freon recharged.

• Informative
Reactions: S&B's M3
Yes, I used Valvoline Zerex G48 Low Silicate/Phosphate Free 50/50 Ready-to-Use Antifreeze.

If your coolant doesn’t continue to leak you should be good. There is a tread on early model 3 with a bad valve on the superbottle which causes coolant to leak out slowly and not passing the thermal performance test under service mode. It cost me around $700 to have a new superbottle replaced, coolant topped off and freon recharged.
Thanks!

Reactions: K3vin11