Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in RANGE MODE all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Terminology issue. The "Range" mode being talked about there is really the Trip level (near 100%) charge setting on the charge slider in the battery charging screen or in the mobile app. Charging to that level on a frequent basis is not that desirable.

The "Range Mode" in the Driving screen is different; it throttles HVAC and uses torque sleep more aggressively in D models in order to stretch driving range. It's quite ok to use this.

You are confusing the terminology. Range Mode is a setting that limits the energy that the climate control uses and is very useful for long trips to conserve range. Range Charge is doing a 100% charge. They are two different things.

I think Tesla dropped the ball on this one. Even when you select Range Mode from the options screen, it says "Eco" (instead of "Range") on the a/c controls panel. They should have simply called it Eco or Economy Mode and left Range Mode for the 100% charge setting.

I think Tesla dropped the ball on this one. Even when you select Range Mode from the options screen, it says "Eco" (instead of "Range") on the a/c controls panel. They should have simply called it Eco or Economy Mode and left Range Mode for the 100% charge setting.
Yes, I think the UI designer (or developer) overlooked human tendencies. Eco is commonly understood without thinking about 'mode' vs 'range' which sound subtle. Range is clear but mode could mean 'range' as well in peoples minds... case in point.

Plus if they used eco the transition from Volt owners would be easier <grin>

356353074046387200ec42e082800612.jpg

Yes, I think the UI designer (or developer) overlooked human tendencies. Eco is commonly understood without thinking about 'mode' vs 'range' which sound subtle. Range is clear but mode could mean 'range' as well in peoples minds... case in point.

View attachment 87562

Sorry for being off topic, but how do the are the two top icons for the seat heater ? If so, how can they be automatic ? (=> how can they know just how much heat I want, and when to dial back ?)

I've never seen or heard about automatic seat heaters before, in any car.

The only thing I wish is that it wouldn't limit the cabin fan to 8. I can't imagine the difference between 8 and 11 on the cabin fan makes that much of a difference.

There's a workaround for this. If you want a higher fan speed but also want the other benefits of Range Mode, you can briefly turn off Range mode, manually adjust the fan speed to 11, then turn Range Mode back on. The fan speed will stay at 11 until you change it, or until you select Auto Eco on the climate control screen.

There's a workaround for this. If you want a higher fan speed but also want the other benefits of Range Mode, you can briefly turn off Range mode, manually adjust the fan speed to 11, then turn Range Mode back on. The fan speed will stay at 11 until you change it, or until you select Auto Eco on the climate control screen.

I'd heard about that, but it always sounded like a lot of tapping and clicking while I'm trying to drive.

I haven't tried this, but someone else told me if you dial the temp all the way down to LO, it will also let you move the fan speed up higher than 8.

I don't own a Tesla (yet) but wonder if it has auto seat warmers as well. A quick google search did not tell me.

Sorry for being off topic, but how do the are the two top icons for the seat heater ? If so, how can they be automatic ? (=> how can they know just how much heat I want, and when to dial back ?)
I've never seen or heard about automatic seat heaters before, in any car.

Volt Off-topic aside: Depending on how cold it is outside/inside your car ... then it assumes the human is cold as well. It starts off hot and then goes lower as time passes (ie. you warm up). It has worked well for me in my 2011.
http://i.imgur.com/VyRRaE4.png
VyRRaE4.png

I don't own a Tesla (yet) but wonder if it has auto seat warmers as well. A quick google search did not tell me.

Volt Off-topic aside: Depending on how cold it is outside/inside your car ... then it assumes the human is cold as well. It starts off hot and then goes lower as time passes (ie. you warm up). It has worked well for me in my 2011.
http://i.imgur.com/VyRRaE4.png
View attachment 87574
(emphasis mine)

Tesla's heated seat have 3 power levels (+ off) AFAIK, and I'm sure they are manual. (I do not have a MS either.)

The part I have put in bold is the greatest compliment one can make for an automatism. :) I'm really curious about the algorithm behind it…*I'll do some research !

</offtopic> (sorry)

View attachment 87562

Off topic but I can't resist. That's actually a pretty weird UI.

• In a good UI, the affordances and status information easiest to notice and easiest to (in this case) touch should be the largest -- and most obvious -- in the display. In other words, they should be the first things you notice. On this display, the most obvious things are the four fan direction settings in the center of the screen. But think about it: how often do you change those? I mean really? I rarely if ever touch such settings in my S. If you're like me, then you might consider such an arrangement out of place in this car's UI, and if so, then the whole display's layout collapses and we have to start over.
• As for the seat heater icons, are they highest in importance? Do they deserve to be at the top?
• What is difference between FAN ONLY and ECO?
• What is difference between ECO and Comfort?
• What does the "AUTO" label mean on the seat heater icons and the recirc icon?
• What does "Climate Power" mean?
• Can you press the 20% green ball next to "Climate Power"
• What does the snowflake ON mean, and the heat icon OFF mean?
• One thing this display has over Tesla's -- in terms of climate controls -- Tesla's are small and reaching to touch various settings often results in error. At least stuff is bigger and more touch-friendly on this other car's screen though the layout leaves much to be desired.

And (back to being on topic) I drive in RANGE MODE all the time, like always.

I've found that in summer there's no real advantage to using range mode.

I used to use Range Mode only in the summer, but it was to keep the a/c noises down to a dull roar. Now that I've had the retrofits to the a/c compressor done, it's less of an issue so I don't bother with it any more.

I also find it does nothing for me in the winter. But I think that's because I typically do more long trips with the car. I think it might help if you're inclined to do multiple short trips in the cold.