Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S Long Range plus - RANGE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to wait and test it in summer but the warranty expires in May. Hence the rush.

SMT is the best way to determine capacity. Teslafi is close, but only give range numbers.

My old car had the best range in the fleet. Then, after it was sold, died suddenly. Corrosion of BMB's and moisture in the pack due to AC condensate drain are major causes of pack failure on pre 2016 cars.

If you can't afford to replace the pack, I would sell it, and get a new M3 or MY.

The battery seems to be ok. Only the consumption is what was bothering me. But then I saw this pic below. It seems that the consumption is indeed less than what I see now. So must be related to winter/cold weather. Still, will check with Tesla in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I ran Tesla’s range analysis. It seems I’m actually driving very gently :) But then everything else is eating up my range. And I have nothing but a phone charger connected.
The everything else in my opinion is the dc/dc operation causing excessive charging on the 12 v battery or the defrost heater on the front camera stays on with sentry off here is an example of my 2020 x that’s with no third party apps ..when it wakes up it charges for at least one hr

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 23
2020 Model S with 21' rims / 26K miles.
From the beginning, I consistently get 150 - 200 miles using 80 KWH on my 2020 Model S LR+. I charge to 90% SOC and charge again when it drops to 10% SOC.
I am no longer an aggressive driver. However, I work from home for the past 4 years and my avg round trip is less than 5 miles. Occasionally, I do one or two 100+ mile roundtrips, in that case I get 230 - 260 miles. Still nowhere close to the 404 miles EPA estimate.
I have reported to Tesla Service, several times. Every time they come back to say that the HV battery is just fine, and my driving habits are to be blamed.
Just for kicks, I exchanged my car with my buddy who has the 2016 Model S D75 for a couple weeks. With similar driving practices, I consistently got 200+ miles.
My consumption average is 330 Wh/mi. The "Since Last Charge" stat on Trips, shows 330 Wh/mi, but the funny thing is that it calculates that based on 50-55 KWH, and not the 80% = 80 KWH that was actually depleted.

Not sure what gives. Please help.

I charge to 90% SOC and charge again when it drops to 10% SOC.
My car and driving habits are roughly similar to yours. I suggest that you leave your car plugged in whenever it's convenient, set charge limit to 60% for normal usage, and then charge it up to 90% before you go on a road trip. It helps main battery for car to be plugged in to reduce the amount times main battery is used for low voltage needs. It also helps to keep charge level closer to 50%.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Temperature effects EV range similar to how altitude effects power in ICE vehicles.

Most every vehicle has an optimum operating condition. Go outside those, and your performance will suffer.

Tires do poorly when it rains, and even worse on snow/ice/sand. Brakes work better when warm, etc.

Interesting discussion. I have a '19 M3P and my 50K ownership is showing about 260 whr/mi. Of course, when screaming on the freeway at 80+ mph it's considerably higher consumption.

I've been thinking about getting the longest range version of the MS available, IIRC, that's around 400 miles, hoping I can drive it 80 on the freeway and have a safe 300 mile range. This discussion is making me think that might not be reliably achievable.

I'm looking forward to the day that an affordable EV can go 400 miles easily at 33F in heavy rain with a headwind. I'm about to turn 62 ... might not happen within my remaining driving years.

2020 Model S with 21' rims / 26K miles.
From the beginning, I consistently get 150 - 200 miles using 80 KWH on my 2020 Model S LR+. I charge to 90% SOC and charge again when it drops to 10% SOC.
I am no longer an aggressive driver. However, I work from home for the past 4 years and my avg round trip is less than 5 miles. Occasionally, I do one or two 100+ mile roundtrips, in that case I get 230 - 260 miles. Still nowhere close to the 404 miles EPA estimate.
I have reported to Tesla Service, several times. Every time they come back to say that the HV battery is just fine, and my driving habits are to be blamed.
Just for kicks, I exchanged my car with my buddy who has the 2016 Model S D75 for a couple weeks. With similar driving practices, I consistently got 200+ miles.
My consumption average is 330 Wh/mi. The "Since Last Charge" stat on Trips, shows 330 Wh/mi, but the funny thing is that it calculates that based on 50-55 KWH, and not the 80% = 80 KWH that was actually depleted.

Not sure what gives. Please help.
Actually, I don't think your range numbers sound that bad if you consider everything. Did the 2020 also come with 19" rims? Usually the rating of 402 would be with the smaller wheels, so with the 21" you would expect less than that.

And if you average efficiency is 330 Wh/mi, you are doing pretty well to get 250 miles at 80% of your battery. 250 miles x .33 Wh/mi = 82.5 kWh.
Even if you had 100 kWh available (and you probably have less than that), then 100 kWh/.33 Wh/mi = 303 miles using 100% of your battery. So you have to drive well under 330 Wh/mi to get anywhere near 400 miles. You would need to drive at 100 kWh/400 miles = 250 Wh/mile to get 400 miles.

I like that experiment you did with trading cars to see the difference. What was your Wh/mile when driving your friends car? And how did he do in driving efficiency in your car compared to his own?