Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New [used] Car!! - 2022 Model 3 Long Range + Questions and info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

This is my first post! I’m excited to be on here to learn about my new tesla and gather good information and practices so I can take care of it. Hopefully I can provide some useful info as well.

Here’s the deal:

I bought a used Tesla Model 3 Long Range from Hertz. It had 97K miles on it and was only $19K. Car runs fast and smooth. Body was mainly clean (some small dings and some small chips), nothing that bothered me at all condition-wise inside or out. It has the 19” wheels.

I received the 4K tax rebate off at purchase, so $15K out of pocket (before taxes, etc.).

Here are my questions/concerns: Battery Range/Capacity

I have downloaded “Tessie” to hopefully help me understand how good my battery is. Here are some of the details:

Battery Health: 90.1-89.9% (it has been in the range for 2 weeks). First charge it said 89.9, went up from there, then back to 89.9

Capacity: 70.1-69.9kWh (same as above, capacity has followed the health number up and down)

“Max Range”: 321.5-314.6 (similar to above)

My Wh/mi average is around 260-280

I know that the displayed range (where I can change it to percentage, and have done that) is a very optimistic number (I don’t think I could ever attain that number no matter how I drive). It also seems that a good chunk of my range get’s eaten up by using “Sentry Mode” when I’m parked (which is active most of the day, but NOT overnight when it’s parked in a garage).

So here is my question: What actual range “should” a 2022 model 3 long range have? I think if I drove from 100% to 0% I would get around 240 miles. Is that normal for the average owner after the 1-year/10% typical battery degradation? So when I’m driving between 80%-20% (Daily charge limits) I really only have about 140 miles of range?

Will calibrating the BMS help?

Is it worth running the Battey Diagnostic (which does a full battery cycle), when I have the info from the app?

Should I switch to 18” wheels (I’m actually very interested in doing this for range & comfort)?

Thank you for reading!! If you have any question, please feel free to send a reply!

90% seems about right given it's 2 years old.
18" wheels will help with range and possibly comfort.
240 total range seems low, but folks don't usually drive it to 0 miles range left.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, 240 didn't feel amazing, but if battery capacity is ~70kWh, then I guess cruising at highway speeds using ~300wh/mi, it seems pretty accurate. I guess time will truly tell...

Do you have a Model 3 LR ? if so, what is your "real world" expected range? Also, what is your typical wh/mi usage?

From the perspective of a 2018 LR RWD owner (310 miles max range when new), I would say that:
  • your "actual range" depends upon the type of driving you mainly do; city vs. highway, in this case. City driving, where you are often slowing down and letting regen put some energy back into the battery, is better for getting the most range, whereas driving on the highway and thus very minimal slowing down, is worse for range. Having a lead foot obviously is bad. I live in San Jose and don't drive much anymore but on long trips I've easily gotten 220 miles on the highway, once starting at 95% and charging at 20% (Williams to Mt. Shasta in June 2022).
  • as far as what your 2022 "should" have as a maximum range, I agree with @whydontwe that 240 might be a little low, given we're talking city driving. Out on the highway is another matter. If you hold a constant 75+mph, the road has elevation changes, it's cold and you have the heater on, then 240 might be correct. But you shouldn't be getting the battery down to 0% either. Your profile says you are in CA, but if you are in a location which is constantly cold (<45F), then the range will suffer. My 2018 currently has an estimated range of 303 miles, based upon my last charge to 90% which said I had 273 miles.
  • Calibrating the battery probably won't lead to much difference, but I've never done one so I could be wrong.
  • I'm using the factory 18" Aero wheels which I believe is supposed to be better for range. My lifetime Wh/mi is 237 which was mainly on the factory Michelin MXM4s. I recently switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ where I've been getting 265Wh/mi.
1710786888050.png

edit: I should also note that for the last 4.5 years I've been DC Fast charging my car (don't have home charging). I usually use a CHAdeMO adapter, which is limited to a maximum power of 50kW, or rarely an Urban Supercharger (max 72kW). The only time I use a Supercharger >150kW is on trips, which has been rare for the last couple of years. DC charging is harder on the battery but with the power less than 70kW, or less than a 1C charging rate with a ~75kW battery, my degradation isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Range will vary on vehicles over a few year old, not much the driver can do to even impact it.

The BEST place to look at your current range is on the Energy Graph page, everything else is irrelevant.

You don't need to do anything, Tesla does it all for you. Stop worrying about it, and you will all be happier about it.

From the perspective of a 2018 LR RWD owner (310 miles max range when new), I would say that:
  • your "actual range" depends upon the type of driving you mainly do; city vs. highway, in this case. City driving, where you are often slowing down and letting regen put some energy back into the battery, is better for getting the most range, whereas driving on the highway and thus very minimal slowing down, is worse for range. Having a lead foot obviously is bad. I live in San Jose and don't drive much anymore but on long trips I've easily gotten 220 miles on the highway, once starting at 95% and charging at 20% (Williams to Mt. Shasta in June 2022).
  • as far as what your 2022 "should" have as a maximum range, I agree with @whydontwe that 240 might be a little low, given we're talking city driving. Out on the highway is another matter. If you hold a constant 75+mph, the road has elevation changes, it's cold and you have the heater on, then 240 might be correct. But you shouldn't be getting the battery down to 0% either. Your profile says you are in CA, but if you are in a location which is constantly cold (<45F), then the range will suffer. My 2018 currently has an estimated range of 303 miles, based upon my last charge to 90% which said I had 273 miles.
  • Calibrating the battery probably won't lead to much difference, but I've never done one so I could be wrong.
  • I'm using the factory 18" Aero wheels which I believe is supposed to be better for range. My lifetime Wh/mi is 237 which was mainly on the factory Michelin MXM4s. I recently switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ where I've been getting 265Wh/mi.

Thank you for the reply! I do think that most of this is affecting my range. I definitely think that the tires (along with the 19" wheels) are affecting range, and I am driving bit aggressively (city and freeway) since this car is so much fun. You're wh/mi LIFETIME number look great!

Funny thing. I just checked these numbers (my wife just drove the car) and the "current drive"/"since last trip" numbers are like 210/240 (mostly highway - and she uses "Chill mode"). I guess I'm causing my own problem by being a bit of a lead foot.. lol

Range will vary on vehicles over a few year old, not much the driver can do to even impact it.

The BEST place to look at your current range is on the Energy Graph page, everything else is irrelevant.

You don't need to do anything, Tesla does it all for you. Stop worrying about it, and you will all be happier about it.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about it... I just wanted to see if there was anything I was doing, or something that was affecting it within my control. I think possibly my wheels/tires and having a lead foot are the culprits. I just can't trade off driving/accelerating slow for the range.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about it... I just wanted to see if there was anything I was doing, or something that was affecting it within my control. I think possibly my wheels/tires and having a lead foot are the culprits. I just can't trade off driving/accelerating slow for the range.

Do you charge at home? If so, do you run out or range? If not, it doesn't matter.

If you don't charge at home, How often do you charge? Would saving 10% make a difference? If not, it doesn't matter.

Get my point, it really doesn't matter. Even when doing highway driving, it takes more than a 50 mile decrease to even slightly make a difference, which is why Tesla sells the RWD standard battery versions.

About the only thing that range matters is those few times that you go a LONG way off of the Interstate. But even then, your range will increase, because you are probably going slower.

Model 3 range record is over 600 miles.

Hello,

This is my first post! I’m excited to be on here to learn about my new tesla and gather good information and practices so I can take care of it. Hopefully I can provide some useful info as well.

Here’s the deal:

I bought a used Tesla Model 3 Long Range from Hertz. It had 97K miles on it and was only $19K. Car runs fast and smooth. Body was mainly clean (some small dings and some small chips), nothing that bothered me at all condition-wise inside or out. It has the 19” wheels.

I received the 4K tax rebate off at purchase, so $15K out of pocket (before taxes, etc.).

Here are my questions/concerns: Battery Range/Capacity

I have downloaded “Tessie” to hopefully help me understand how good my battery is. Here are some of the details:

Battery Health: 90.1-89.9% (it has been in the range for 2 weeks). First charge it said 89.9, went up from there, then back to 89.9

Capacity: 70.1-69.9kWh (same as above, capacity has followed the health number up and down)

“Max Range”: 321.5-314.6 (similar to above)

My Wh/mi average is around 260-280

I know that the displayed range (where I can change it to percentage, and have done that) is a very optimistic number (I don’t think I could ever attain that number no matter how I drive). It also seems that a good chunk of my range get’s eaten up by using “Sentry Mode” when I’m parked (which is active most of the day, but NOT overnight when it’s parked in a garage).

So here is my question: What actual range “should” a 2022 model 3 long range have? I think if I drove from 100% to 0% I would get around 240 miles. Is that normal for the average owner after the 1-year/10% typical battery degradation? So when I’m driving between 80%-20% (Daily charge limits) I really only have about 140 miles of range?

Will calibrating the BMS help?

Is it worth running the Battey Diagnostic (which does a full battery cycle), when I have the info from the app?

Should I switch to 18” wheels (I’m actually very interested in doing this for range & comfort)?

Thank you for reading!! If you have any question, please feel free to send a reply!
Congratulations on getting one of the best deals from Hertz! How long ago did you buy the car?

If you are concerned about range, know that you could always drive less aggressively. I usually get right around the rated range in actual range.

Congratulations on getting one of the best deals from Hertz! How long ago did you buy the car?

If you are concerned about range, know that you could always drive less aggressively. I usually get right around the rated range in actual range.

I bought the car about 2-3 weeks ago. I've been driving it like crazy (added almost 2K miles already!!)!!! I love this car! I'm certain that when the time comes, I'll either fix the issues with this car, or I will definitely be buying another EV, most likely a Tesla (unless someone else can make something with the speed, acceleration, handling and features this offers).

• Love
Reactions: Hiline
Only downside I see is they have just 20,000 miles left of the powertrain warranty on a car that is maximum 15 months old. Granted, most problems would have surfaced by now over 100k miles.

Great buy, Doc.

Thanks! Yeah, that was my main concern obviously, the battery health. I would have figured that any other issues would have popped-up by now (and been taken care of by hertz).