Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S Long Range plus - RANGE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a Model 2 2020, long-range plus with some 45k miles on it. I love the car but have one concern that I want to get your opinion on. I used to have Model 3 in 2021, and I know that the range Tesla advertises is not the real world range, but what I see with this Model S is making me question that even further.

When I charge it to 100%, I get some 369 miles; when I compare that with 402 miles, it is 91%, so some 9% battery degradation. It is very close to what I get from Tessie states based on charging data (7% degradation). I suppose this is normal for a 45k-mile car. Right?

But then the problem is when I drive it at some 32-45F, my average freeway consumption (55-66 Miles/Hour) is around 500 Wh/mile. This would then lead to the fact that for 36 miles, I use 20% of the battery (80% goes to 60%). Further down, this would mean that I can have a real-world range of only 180 miles. Is this normal and expected?

I see people getting over 300 miles at 60 miles/hour speeds, so it got me thinking.

Thanks!

Yeah, those are short trips from home to work and back, so 18 miles each way. I am still to do a longer road trip to see if consumption will get better. The thing is that the car is still under warranty, so I am wondering if I should get it checked for this.

20-30% for how many miles?
From VA the central KY. I had to stop often to recharge. It was freezing and I was driving near 75 mph, lights and heaters on. That trip I received an update using LTE only.
Also, in local driving when it is freezing I notice severe degradation in actual range. I notice the heater pumps come on in the garage in cold weather often when I am in the garage or going out.

I’m taking of losing 20% battery charge as I mentioned 80% charge goes to 60% charge for 36 miles trip.

Talking about efficiency if my full charge is 369 miles for 36 miles trip I should lose ~10% but I’m losing 20%. So 100% more.

Hope this clarifies % :)

Here was my local driving yesterday, 2 short trips across town:
4.69 Miles Driven

7.91 Rated Miles Used

27,054.75 - 27,059.44
1.87 kWh

399 Wh/Miles

59.3% Efficiency

5.2 Miles Driven

3.89 Rated Miles Used

27,049.55 - 27,054.75
0.92 kWh

177 Wh/Miles

133.7% Efficiency

The first trip was without preconditioning and the car was cold inside as well. Return trip car was pretty much preconditioned.
My charge last night says it added 31 miles range from these two drives totaling 9.89 miles. I have 7.11% battery degredation from new

Last edited:
I’m taking of losing 20% battery charge as I mentioned 80% charge goes to 60% charge for 36 miles trip.

Talking about efficiency if my full charge is 369 miles for 36 miles trip I should lose ~10% but I’m losing 20%. So 100% more.

Hope this clarifies % :)
there's a big diff between one 36mi trip n 2x18mi trip per ur above post
plus the car probably sat between two 18mi trips so totally possible to lose double of what it should be...

Agreed. But still is 500 Wh/mile not too high even for 1 x 18mile trío with preconditioned car?
not sure...
yest i was driving in 40F n was watching my wh/mi
started at like 1000 for few miles, then dropped to 500 around 10mi, then to 400 at 15mi n finally to like 370 at 25mi...

it does sound too high for S, esp for avg of 18mi
if its always high, warm or cold weather then u might have issue with dragging brakes or toe alignment (usually this is harshest on wh/mi)
if its only due to cold then its just the heating of cabin/battery
try Range mode, see if u get any difference...

SMT or other can bus reader will be able to show you if there is an anomaly with the battery heater or climate, also, if power to the motors is high due to dragging brakes or the like.

For my '22LR:

I find that there is negligible increase in battery temps by preconditioning the car at temps above 50. Charging overnight can easily add 10-25 deg to pack temp however.

I ran Tesla’s range analysis. It seems I’m actually driving very gently :) But then everything else is eating up my range. And I have nothing but a phone charger connected.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.png
    IMG_0743.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0744.png
    IMG_0744.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 37
I ran Tesla’s range analysis. It seems I’m actually driving very gently :) But then everything else is eating up my range. And I have nothing but a phone charger connected.
I get that same result. I also have a phone charger and 2 MicroSD USB installed. I just concluded the Other stuff was a buggy analysis of things that were not really Other, but something routine that isn't being considered properly.

Its for the cars that don't have that on center screen, its in the app under service