Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can get a P90DL to the strip this week, but not really excited to do it, I know it won't run 10's..... someone already ran one, 11.6 @ 116 MPH, but I don't know the details, SOC, etc...

Teslatap got the P90D​ down at an average 11.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

So it sounds like both of you are saying that as many of us feared, the P90D with Ludicrous is not yet meeting the specs Tesla promised. (In other threads some had guessed it wouldn't because the kW didn't seem to be high enough to generate the required HP.)

I also wonder if slipstart would have better acceleration too. 85% to 90% charge would be ideal as well with the lower impedance.

Tesla Racing Channel commented on one of my videos and said he got the best times at 85%. He races his P85D a lot so I trust his word. Also the best 0-60 I got was just under 85%. Others were good, but not as good.

no difference with slip start, tried it, also tried different charge levels, 11.3 is where the car is at.... so 3/10's and 3 MPH pickup in the 1/4 mile going from insane to ludicrous as of right now...

I also wonder if slipstart would have better acceleration too. 85% to 90% charge would be ideal as well with the lower impedance.

- - - Updated - - -

no difference with slip start, tried it, also tried different charge levels, 11.3 is where the car is at.... so 3/10's and 3 MPH pickup in the 1/4 mile going from insane to ludicrous as of right now...

Andy,

Do not forget to point the media this way too......

Unless, of course, you would like to leave us to have a sane discussion of the PDL's current performance and proper way to achieve best results.

That was completely uncalled for.

I never directed the media anywhere, and I believe you know that. We're having a factual discussion of what the P90D with Ludicrous has done in the real world. I just was pointing out that thus far, those results are not what Tesla promised.

Why do you seem so intent on both trying to make me look bad and also sweeping under the rug the fact that Tesla may have overstated the capabilities of the P90D with Ludicrous?

Fair question but I'll leave it at one response only.
We are discussing what the PD and PDL does. Fiks has a ton of experience in 1/4 mile performance and his gut is usually spot on. Others are looking closely at the cars performance numbers as well in an attempt to understand exactly what Tesla has accomplished. If there is a difference when all the dust settles, I am certain someone (likely me and others) will ask Tesla where they got their 10.9 1/4 but only after exhaustive examination of the car and a consensus of its actual performance.

Your "go to it" contribution on this thread and others is Tesla is not delivering what they said. Say that long enough, in enough threads with enough super long overly wordy posts and somebody in the media will cherry pick your posts for just the quotes they need for click bait. I would just hate to see you start that here. That being said, it is only my opinion and you are free to post as much as you like anywhere you like.

Fair question but I'll leave it at one response only.
We are discussing what the PD and PDL does. Fiks has a ton of experience in 1/4 mile performance and his gut is usually spot on. Others are looking closely at the cars performance numbers as well in an attempt to understand exactly what Tesla has accomplished. If there is a difference when all the dust settles, I am certain someone (likely me and others) will ask Tesla where they got their 10.9 1/4 but only after exhaustive examination of the car and a consensus of its actual performance.

Your "go to it" contribution on this thread and others is Tesla is not delivering what they said. Say that long enough, in enough threads with enough super long overly wordy posts and somebody in the media will cherry pick your posts for just the quotes they need for click bait. I would just hate to see you start that here. That being said, it is only my opinion and you are free to post as much as you like anywhere you like.

I can appreciate that.

I'll actually add that disclaimer that others use to my sig file, so my posts can't be used outside of here without my permission.

Also if you were to look back through the history of what I've written about the P90D with Ludicrous, and the first numbers, etc., I've been optimistic (more so a month ago, but I remain optimistic) that perhaps Tesla hasn't unleashed the full capability of the cars yet, and that they will soon, via a software update. That's why even in my post in this thread, I qualified my statement with "yet."

I'll go back and see if I can find at least one of the other posts I'm referring to, and will edit this post with it when I find it.

Edit: I found a couple of the posts--

So...one question, and then one possible explanation. (A grasping at straws explanation.)

The question is where did you get the shot of the power meter? I didn't see any shots of the dash during the launch in that video that you included in the post.

Correction: After watching it again, I realize there are shots of the power meter, presumably during full-out launches.

The grasping at straws possible explanation is that perhaps the hardware is in place, but Tesla hasn't enabled the full power output yet, and will do so later via software. Obviously I wouldn't be defending this position, but it's not as if Tesla hasn't done stuff like this before. Our early P85Ds, as most reading this thread will recall, were released completely lacking the torque sleep software that would eventually get them close to the efficiency expected, meaning they were very far from it when they were released, yet there wasn't so much as a whisper about this from Tesla for many weeks. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the full capabilities of the P90D were not yet software enabled.

Well, I'm not going to throw the towel in on this one yet. When the very first video of a P90D with Ludicrous surfaced, and wk057 pointed out that based on the power meter, he doubted the horsepower claims would be met, I pointed out that it was possible Tesla just hadn't fully enabled Ludicrous mode yet. So perhaps that really is what we're seeing.

Last edited:
The interesting thing here is not so much 0-60 or HP but more reaching 1/4 mile in 10,9 secs. As far as I am informed by racing community people from 11,5 secs and down every 0,1 sec will cost 2K USD at least to achieve, so right now 11,3 is 8K USD from that target. curious to see what tomorrow brings...:biggrin:

Tesla just added this text to the P85D Ludicrous upgrade, not good at all... can't take a $500 deposit then add this major disclaimer...

Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents an estimate 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D, provides for a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time, from your current vehicle performance. (The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D.)

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-ludicrous-mode-pre-order

Tesla just added this text to the P85D Ludicrous upgrade, not good at all... can't take a $500 deposit then add this major disclaimer...

Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents an estimate 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D, provides for a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time, from your current vehicle performance. (The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D.)

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-ludicrous-mode-pre-order

With the crap they are catching lately, I suspect they are unwilling to commit to anything at all. We really need to see how the system performs in the wild but it sounds like your gut reaction was spot on.
If these actually are real-world numbers wouldn't this imply that any increase in performance will be more or less only in the 0-60mph area?

edit: @fiksegts : would a 0,2second improvement in 1/4-mile performance even be noticable for a newbie non-racer?

no, it would not be noticeable to most people without another car to compare it to... or race against...

If these actually are real-world numbers wouldn't this imply that any increase in performance will be more or less only in the 0-60mph area?

edit: @fiksegts : would a 0,2second improvement in 1/4-mile performance even be noticable for a newbie non-racer?

Last edited:
So if the car is only 0.3 sec faster on the 1/4 mile that is only because of the 0.3 sec improvement from 0-60 so the car is not faster from 60- ?

Maybe a software update will be released for the P90D that improves the high speed acceleration like they did for the P85D. Or wait a sec that one we have no yet seen :tongue:

P85D Top Speed Limited 2014-12-26.jpg

yea, I don't think I'm willing to fork over $8k to get the real world numbers....

My problem here is that Tesla stated there would be a free speed upgrade for the P85D for highway puliling power, and that never happened, it's now a $8k cost, which as per their new stated numbers isn't much of a gain...

back in April:

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

I have tested every release, and there has not been an increase in highway performance, except for top speed, which BTW is questionable, as my car usually limits to 134 MPH, the conditions for the 155MPH must be pretty strict.

With the crap they are catching lately, I suspect they are unwilling to commit to anything at all. We really need to see how the system performs in the wild but it sounds like your gut reaction was spot on.

Last edited:
I think lolachampcar may be correct here, and what we are really seeing is a combination of Tesla being overly cautious in what they promise, possibly due to the P85D horsepower issues, and also possibly just bad communication, which we know Tesla excels at.

I am almost certain that in one thread or another I had read at one point that there was just something on the website, recently added, that mentioned the point 2 second increase, but didn't explain it. They have been adding information to that page in piecemeal fashion. I think it's likely that in trying to clarify what the point 2 seconds referred to, someone somewhere just decided to list both the 0-60 and the quarter mile times as the ones that the point 2 second improvement applies to. It just doesn't seem likely to me that 100% of the improvement would be in 0-60. Oddly, I think they are just being conservative this time and/or someone is confused.

I'm not suggesting anyone put down a deposit based on my conjecture. I'm just making a prediction that in reality, upgraded P85Ds will improve more than point 2 seconds in the quarter mile.

I think lolachampcar may be correct here, and what we are really seeing is a combination of Tesla being overly cautious in what they promise, possibly due to the P85D horsepower issues, and also possibly just bad communication, which we know Tesla excels at.

I am almost certain that in one thread or another I had read at one point that there was just something on the website, recently added, that mentioned the point 2 second increase, but didn't explain it. They have been adding information to that page in piecemeal fashion. I think it's likely that in trying to clarify what the point 2 seconds referred to, someone somewhere just decided to list both the 0-60 and the quarter mile times as the ones that the point 2 second improvement applies to. It just doesn't seem likely to me that 100% of the improvement would be in 0-60. Oddly, I think they are just being conservative this time and/or someone is confused.

I'm not suggesting anyone put down a deposit based on my conjecture. I'm just making a prediction that in reality, upgraded P85Ds will improve more than point 2 seconds in the quarter mile.
Well, according to fiksegts 1/4-mile times with the P90D the new numbers for the P85D-upgrade actually add up quite nicely dont they!?..

Around 0.3second improvement in the 1/4-mile with the P90D vs the P85D. And Tesla has from the start said that the upgrade wont make the P85D 100% as fast... that doesnt leave a whole lot of wigglerooom...

I honestly hope I am wrong on this though:)

I hope this means Tesla PR department are learning and coming back around to the under promise - over deliver attitude they used in 2012-2013, that was very successful as opposed to the opposite, which they've engaged a lot in in the last year.