Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this means Tesla PR department are learning and coming back around to the under promise - over deliver attitude they used in 2012-2013, that was very successful as opposed to the opposite, which they've engaged a lot in in the last year.
Yes, lets hope so. At least I wont be betting my own money on this:)

Hope I get to regret the decision!

I took our new P90DL (800 miles on it) to the drag strip last weekend and thought I would share the results here. The track is located about 20 minutes from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and I charged at the supercharger early in the morning before I went to the track. The weather was slightly cool in the morning but started to heat up in the afternoon to about 75 degrees. There was very little wind and I was the only person in the car for the times shown below. The car was obviously in ludicrous mode for all the runs and battery preconditioned. Below are pictures of our car where we had it opti-coated, tinted, etc. a day after taking delivery of the car.
Tesla Rear Side C.jpg
Tesla Side Profile.JPG
Tesla Drag 1.JPG
Tesla Drag 2-3.jpeg
Tesla Drag 4-5.jpeg
Tesla Drag 6-7.jpeg

the P90D is no where near 10.9. Looks like the first run was the fastest at 11.384. That's gotta be one heck of a software upgrade to drop .4 seconds off the 1/4.

Where / how did Tesla manage a 10.9 and if they did why don't they release the software to do so???

I see some nails in the L coffin if someone does not start laying down some tens. The motor power brew ha ha does not register on my scope. Saying a car will do 10.9 and having it run 11.4 at best will be a problem.

For clarity, did you have any MS drag racing experience prior to this were you were able to match Tesla's numbers (or other owner's numbers)? Say, for instance, getting some 11.7 second runs out of a P85D as some owners have done.

I just checked my notes and see that P85Ds were routinely putting down 1.6 to 1.7 second sixty foot times so launch and grip for your PDL does not seem to be an issue.

I've stayed out of the whole 691HP thread as tesla's been pretty accurate with the performance numbers until now. I care less about the horsepower, but if they state the car will do 10.9, the I expect some people to be hitting 10's in 1/4.

this is right in line with what I saw on the VBOX, 11.4 @ 117.9 MPH....

thanks for posting J-P90DL, your times are good, nothing more you could have done... the P90DL has a slightly better 60' time than the best P85D time and a little more MPH in the 1/8, but on the top end still dies out...

what was your state of charge at the track? how many miles of range?

this P90DL will not run 10's in current form, it needs another 5 MPH in the trap speed to have a chance.... 10.9x @ 122-123 MPH is where it needs to be...

any videos?

Last edited:
I would wait for dragtimes to do a 1/4 mile run (they have enough experience with the P85D to know how to get the best times). However, the traps speeds are not encouraging. This is looking like another software update thing.

I had calculated the top speed run time for the P85D in a post previously, will have to dig it up. That will be the other claim to verify (getting to top speed 20% faster).

Edit, found the link here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...91HP/page136?p=1129120&viewfull=1#post1129120

Last edited:
this is right in line with what I saw on the VBOX, 11.4 @ 117.9 MPH....

thanks for posting J-P90DL, your times are good, nothing more you could have done... the P90DL has a slightly better 60' time than the best P85D time and a little more MPH in the 1/8, but on the top end still dies out...

what was your state of charge at the track? how many miles of range?

this P90DL will not run 10's in current form, it needs another 5 MPH in the trap speed to have a chance.... 10.9x @ 122-123 MPH is where it needs to be...

any videos?

What was your SOC?

Did you compare previous 0-X times to times in the 1/4 mi?

It took me a number of tries to get 2.81s and I'm 215lb.

I know there's a lot of commentary about Tesla stating incorrect numbers, but you beat the advertised P85D time, and I've hit the advertised lateral Gs, acceleration Gs, and you and I have both hit 2.8Xs 0-60. I feel like it's hard to believe they never hit 10.9 or at least just broke 11s.

Chipping away at this. 85% SOC was where I was at with the best 0-60, I was near sea level, I weigh 215lb. They say they use a medium size driver, and maybe they did their tests at altitude with an optimized SOC. I don't know how the times would change, but I've read 0.1s per 100lb. I have a pano roof and air suspension, which I would assume adds weight, and I'm heavier than a medium weight driver and 19s will probably be a little faster because of rotational weight.

So 11.4, might get down to 11.36 given the difference in our 0-60, if 100lb did reduce time by .1s then I'm sure between pano, air, and me that's 200lb of extra weight so that might get it down to 11.16, then throw in rotational weight differences, and altitude. I'm thinking they could break 11s.

I left the supercharger with 244 miles of range and the track is probably 15 miles from the supercharger. So I think I was around 230 miles roughly when I started the first race. I went to the track with a new friend and his girlfriend apparently filmed the race so I'll see if I can get some videos from him.

I would wait for dragtimes to do a 1/4 mile run (they have enough experience with the P85D to know how to get the best times). However, the traps speeds are not encouraging. This is looking like another software update thing.

I had calculated the top speed run time for the P85D in a post previously, will have to dig it up. That will be the other claim to verify (getting to top speed 20% faster).

It's the same trap speed as P85D insane was getting, which can only mean that this P90DL made less power after 60mph since the time was ~.3s less

- - - Updated - - -

I have a pano roof and air suspension, which I would assume adds weight, and I'm heavier than a medium weight driver and 19s will probably be a little faster because of rotational weight.
How much does pano roof add? I would assume air suspension is lighter. Coil springs are very heavy.

I left the supercharger with 244 miles of range and the track is probably 15 miles from the supercharger. So I think I was around 230 miles roughly when I started the first race. I went to the track with a new friend and his girlfriend apparently filmed the race so I'll see if I can get some videos from him.

That's a little above 85% so that's probably why the time went up from there

- - - Updated - - -

How much does pano roof add? I would assume air suspension is lighter. Coil springs are very heavy.

It might be lighter I honestly have no idea. I just figured the baffles, compressor, gear from compressor to baffle, etc would add some weight.

Not sure about the pano, but glass will be heavier than aluminum and from what I read a little more support has to be added at the top of the car because of glass shattering and not providing structural support.

I know some of you will be shocked to find me arguing on what could be seen as the Tesla side of this, but I think it is entirely possible Tesla just hasn't released the full capabilities of Ludicrous Mode on the P90D's with Ludicrous yet. (I'm not defending that action--just suggesting it as a possibility.)

Tesla kind of has a history of doing stuff like this.

All the P85Ds were released with torque sleep completely not yet enabled. Everyone was wondering what the heck was wrong with the cars' efficiency, because it wasn't close to what was promised. There was a lot of discussion, and wk057 was out doing a side by side video comparison with a P85 when the blog post explaining that torque sleep wasn't enabled yet was published. That was roughly three weeks after deliveries started. It was terrible communication and terrible customer service, for no good reason. A simple explanation at delivery time like, "Oh, just so you know, torque sleep isn't enabled yet, so you won't get the efficiency that you may be expecting, but it's coming soon.", would have completely eliminated the issue. Tesla had to know people would notice. It was just a bad, bad decision on how to handle the engineering delay on Tesla's part.

We know Tesla is lousy at this kind of communication. Lousy is an understatement. They're terrible at it!

I believe many people think Tesla also likes to test things in small batches, and in small increments when pushing the limits. It would be reasonable, then, to think that perhaps a few cars are fully enabled with Ludicrous capabilities, while most are not. Or maybe none are yet. But it would be completely consistent with how Tesla operates to deliver Ludicrous cars that aren't really fully Ludicrous yet, and not say a word about it.

I am optimistic that P90Ds with Ludicrous will get into the 10s in the quarter mile eventually, as a result of software updates.

I also wonder how much of a difference battery temperature would have on the times. I had launched many times before I hit my best time so it's possible this number might go down some if you started at 95%+ and after a few runs did one at 85%. I know when I've turned on the max battery option after launching many times it has cut off, which tells me that the option is really just to speed up the heating of the battery and nothing else really and that changing to "Ready" has taken 15+ minutes of driving before so I don't think driving to the track from the SC would have the temperature in the right zone for maximum power.

- - - Updated - - -

But it would be completely consistent with how Tesla operates to deliver Ludicrous cars that aren't really fully Ludicrous yet, and not say a word about it.

I am optimistic that P90Ds with Ludicrous will get into the 10s in the quarter mile eventually, as a result of software updates.

I've noticed my car hasn't been updating as quickly as others too. I'm still not at the latest update.

In some ways it is smart for Tesla to do things in increments because it backs their view of the car improving over time. I'd say dropping 0-60 to 2.8s and noticeable 30+ performance would be what most people check/notice. Most people don't go to the track or drive over 100mph so it's easier for them to delay that.

Does anyone know what the history of the P85D 1/4 miles times were? was the advertised time the same as what people were getting? or did it take the 3.1s update to get it in range of advertised times?

I agree with you Andyw2100. To me it feels like Tesla rushed the ludicrous mode into production and the software hasn't caught up to the hardware. This may sound crazy but I thought my car was in ludicrous mode always until I saw a post on this forum that said you have to precondition the battery. So the next morning I hit the button and the car never stopped "preparing" it just stayed in the "preparing" mode and never went to "ready." So I had probably 200 miles on the car and had not even experienced ludicrous mode yet and the first time I tried it.....it didn't work!!! I took the car to the Tesla dealership and the service manager held down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel to reset the computer and it immediately went from "preparing" to "ready." Huge difference in my opinion but why didn't it work?? I tried it yesterday and it never switched out of "preparing" so I think they need to get the ludicrous situation ironed-out with the upcoming software update. In my opinion waiting for my car to become ludicrous is taking way to long and yesterday it never happened. I'm curious if other P90DL owners are experiencing the same problem?

I agree with you Andyw2100. To me it feels like Tesla rushed the ludicrous mode into production and the software hasn't caught up to the hardware. This may sound crazy but I thought my car was in ludicrous mode always until I saw a post on this forum that said you have to precondition the battery. So the next morning I hit the button and the car never stopped "preparing" it just stayed in the "preparing" mode and never went to "ready." So I had probably 200 miles on the car and had not even experienced ludicrous mode yet and the first time I tried it.....it didn't work!!! I took the car to the Tesla dealership and the service manager held down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel to reset the computer and it immediately went from "preparing" to "ready." Huge difference in my opinion but why didn't it work?? I tried it yesterday and it never switched out of "preparing" so I think they need to get the ludicrous situation ironed-out with the upcoming software update. In my opinion waiting for my car to become ludicrous is taking way to long and yesterday it never happened. I'm curious if other P90DL owners are experiencing the same problem?

The car is always in L-mode if you have it switched on. I never turn on the Max Battery Power option anymore and when I hit 2.81s 0-60, it wasn't on. If you launch and launch and then turn it on, it will turn off after you launch. That tells me the battery temperature is the only thing it cares about. So you might not hit 2.8s as soon as you pull out of your garage, but that has probably always been the case. Once you launch or warm the battery (from driving or the option), then you will hit optimal performance. That's my theory on it, but when I logged the streaming API I only saw a 2kW power increase with the option on, which isn't enough to max a difference.

I posted this earlier, which is about as much as I know about the future and it tells me that the P90D isn't fully functional yet.

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15 - Page 19

OMG
Andy and I are destined to be on the opposite side of things.
I trust Fiks' work from years of watching the process. I suspect the PDL in any variant is incapable of delivering Tesla's claimed ten second 1/4 mile. Fiks knows what it takes to get a ten second run and this is no ten second car. I will wait for a few more people to back up current results and hopefully Fiks will get an L to the track with the same people that confirmed the PD's 1/4 mile numbers so we can completely eliminate the driver/track/conditions question (of which I personally do not feel there is one) but I think the writing is on the wall.

Andy, I do not agree with your motor HP issue but I think there may very well be a big issue with 1/4 mile times. An 11.4 is NOWHERE near a ten second run.

Lucy, you got some splaining to do.

OMG
I trust Fiks' work from years of watching the process. I suspect the PDL in any variant is incapable of delivering Tesla's claimed ten second 1/4 mile. Fiks knows what it takes to get a ten second run and this is no ten second car. I will wait for a few more people to back up current results and hopefully Fiks will get an L to the track with the same people that confirmed the PD's 1/4 mile numbers so we can completely eliminate the driver/track/conditions question (of which I personally do not feel there is one) but I think the writing is on the wall.

Andy, I do not agree with your motor HP issue but I think there may very well be a big issue with 1/4 mile times. An 11.4 is NOWHERE near a ten second run.

I definitely trust Fiks' work as well. I'm being optimistic, and giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt for now, but you guys could definitely be correct, and I could definitely be wrong. All I'm suggesting is that since it looks like the car isn't yet putting out the kW to make the HP (based on Pete's data) it is possible Tesla isn't yet allowing the car to get close to the 1500 Amp limit of the fuse. If that's true, and they increase that limit via software, and the kW output goes up significantly, then perhaps 10.9 can be achieved.

I don't think Tesla would intentionally mislead us, in spite of what you think I think on the 691 HP issue. They must have some justification for publishing the 10.9 second quarter mile time. I want to trust them.

Again, I may be wrong, and you may be right. But I'm pretty sure we can at least agree on the fact that on this one we both hope my optimism winds up being justified.

Last edited:
Yep, while I have been critical of the company (not the car), I think Tesla has done a better job of clarifying their "optimistic" (perhaps "opportunistic") performance claims. Unfortunately they are still doing it after they take peoples $$.
P90DL remains vaporware in my book ... optimistically hoping they deliver the claimed performance, but at least hoping they deliver full disclosure.
Make no mistake, its getting better ! But more can, and should be done.

OMG