Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used p100ds now are dirt cheap. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at Teslas just for fun see if there's anything affordable and was kind of shocked to see how low the prices of p100ds are now. This used p100d is only 31k, under 100k miles, 0 accidents, and 1 owner. The cheapest one I saw was $22,000 but it was over 100k miles. Is this mainly because of the interest rates driving down prices and Tesla lowering their prices for new cars? I rode in a p85d with ludicrous mode enabled and that was fast enough for me where it blew my mind so I can imagine the p100d being even crazier. I really only care about 0-60 time. The plaid is just out of my reach price range but correct me if I'm wrong but on the street without 1 foot of rollout included I believe they get almost the same 0-60 time? I saw these two videos testing both vehicles 0-60 on the street here is the one of the plaid and this guy this testing the p100d the best the plaid got was 2.47 and I believe the p100d got 2.5 seconds. I know top speed is faster because the plaid but I don't care about that. The only time I'll be going over 60 is on the highway and not much over it.
Besides that my only concern since these cars I'm looking at are mainly from 2017, will the battery degradation cause it to have a slower 0-60 speed or does that only happen if the battery is really degraded badly.
Also a little off topic but I bought a 1995 eclipse gsx 5 speed hoping to put 1000 hp which is surprising not that much maybe 30,000 at the most in mods and there's one called the red demon that does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds but has around 1800 hp. Yeah I could do that and have a faster modified gasoline car as we've seen modified cars like GT-Rs beat absolutely everything at the track having like 3000 hp but the model s is such a nicer looking car and better technology so I'll probably leave it stock and keep it since it's a collectors car now. The annoying thing about the eclipse is that it's a fast looking sports car and SO many people would try to race me or drive faster and more aggressive when they saw my car like they had something to prove which was extremely annoying when I'm just trying to drive my car like a normal person. Also more annoying is when someone's going slow on the highway, you go to pass them, now they all of a sudden want to speed up and not let you pass like a child. Then I'll try to go faster and get some distance because I figure they'll slow down again and they'll refuse to slow down until they're in front of me again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
There are other advancements since the P100D which depress its value. Even before the plaid was released, the raven platform that came out in 2019 also had some significant improvements beyond a tenth or two 0-60. I list these every time someone asks if they should buy a P100D. Still the P100D is not a bad car, and if 0-60 is all you care about, you can't do better than that for $31k.

Even a healthy old battery will be slightly slower than a new battery.

The newer cars are also more consistent in their power levels at lower SoC, with the refresh being the best. My P85DL was noticeably slower as the battery emptied.

Reactions: El joe and cptnslo
The demand for S is diminished by the drop in gas prices which means fewer people switching to EV's in general. Also there's more choices for EV's. Then there's people like me that would love to upgrade from my 85 to 100 but gambling it will last til a CT I need for work is available.

Thanks didn't even know what AP1 is. Now I want to make sure it's capable of sentry mode. That's pretty important. Also I just need the basic autopilot as I do 98% of my driving on the highway
If it's AP1 it will not have Sentry mode. That's an AP2 or newer feature.
Actually I'd value AP1 higher than the newer cars. I'd take it over sentry mode any day.
This 100%. For where these technologies are currently, AP1 offers a FAR better user experience for all the ways you'll use it most. The newer AP hardware promises more features for the future but as far as function right now... AP1 all day, err day.

I was looking at Teslas just for fun see if there's anything affordable and was kind of shocked to see how low the prices of p100ds are now. This used p100d is only 31k, under 100k miles, 0 accidents, and 1 owner. The cheapest one I saw was $22,000 but it was over 100k miles. Is this mainly because of the interest rates driving down prices and Tesla lowering their prices for new cars? I rode in a p85d with ludicrous mode enabled and that was fast enough for me where it blew my mind so I can imagine the p100d being even crazier. I really only care about 0-60 time. The plaid is just out of my reach price range but correct me if I'm wrong but on the street without 1 foot of rollout included I believe they get almost the same 0-60 time? I saw these two videos testing both vehicles 0-60 on the street here is the one of the plaid and this guy this testing the p100d the best the plaid got was 2.47 and I believe the p100d got 2.5 seconds. I know top speed is faster because the plaid but I don't care about that. The only time I'll be going over 60 is on the highway and not much over it.
Besides that my only concern since these cars I'm looking at are mainly from 2017, will the battery degradation cause it to have a slower 0-60 speed or does that only happen if the battery is really degraded badly.
Also a little off topic but I bought a 1995 eclipse gsx 5 speed hoping to put 1000 hp which is surprising not that much maybe 30,000 at the most in mods and there's one called the red demon that does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds but has around 1800 hp. Yeah I could do that and have a faster modified gasoline car as we've seen modified cars like GT-Rs beat absolutely everything at the track having like 3000 hp but the model s is such a nicer looking car and better technology so I'll probably leave it stock and keep it since it's a collectors car now. The annoying thing about the eclipse is that it's a fast looking sports car and SO many people would try to race me or drive faster and more aggressive when they saw my car like they had something to prove which was extremely annoying when I'm just trying to drive my car like a normal person. Also more annoying is when someone's going slow on the highway, you go to pass them, now they all of a sudden want to speed up and not let you pass like a child. Then I'll try to go faster and get some distance because I figure they'll slow down again and they'll refuse to slow down until they're in front of me again.
If you stick around long enough I may be getting rid of my 2018 P100D in a couple months!

a new model S LR is 75K right now. I know it is not exactly apple to apple. But for everyday daily user, I doubt the small difference in 0-60 matters much. So for a 7 year old near 100K miles and expired warranty. The price seems kinda meh to me. Any repair emerges is in the thousands.

a new model S LR is 75K right now. I know it is not exactly apple to apple. But for everyday daily user, I doubt the small difference in 0-60 matters much. So for a 7 year old near 100K miles and expired warranty. The price seems kinda meh to me. Any repair emerges is in the thousands.
I’m with you on this line of thinking…might be worth getting an older (soon to be out of warranty) P100D if the price was mid to low 20’s. You can get used refreshed Model S’ for around $45-50k

If it's AP1 it will not have Sentry mode. That's an AP2 or newer feature.

This 100%. For where these technologies are currently, AP1 offers a FAR better user experience for all the ways you'll use it most. The newer AP hardware promises more features for the future but as far as function right now... AP1 all day, err day.
What? AP1 always tried to drive off the highway when the lines got bad. HW3 is way better. It's night and day. It's much more annoying with nags, but way better at driving. I haven't driven HW4 yet.

Reactions: bhzmark
To each their own but prices tell other story
I personally don't care about AP but I'll take sentry
On paper, AP1 is inferior to HW3, and it doesn't carry the "potential" for FSD. To know that it is better in reality, you'd need to drive both.
What? AP1 always tried to drive off the highway when the lines got bad. HW3 is way better. It's night and day. It's much more annoying with nags, but way better at driving. I haven't driven HW4 yet.
AP1's failures were more predictable. You could tell it was a relatively simple system and when you might need to step in. Poorly marked lanes were a good indicator. HW3+ is better in poor conditions (truthfully pretty impressive) and it is more responsive at changing lanes, but that's about it. HW3 has more phantom braking events, much worse following behavior, and it occasionally panics and tries to kill the occupants during a simple lane change by swerving back into the original lane. Oh, and nags++.

All that said, this is kind of moot here since this is a thread about P100Ds and none of them have AP1 as @gaswalla pointed out.