Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D vs 2019 Performance (raven) which to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody,

Long time listener 1st time caller:

I'm looking for some advice. I am looking to buy a Model S. All my searching and research has lead me to a couple different options.

I'm looking at 2017-2018 P100D (with ludicrous) Vs 2019 Performance (raven) also with ludicrous.

The car I buy will have FSD.

I have found a couple instances of each car. They have around 50k miles.

The P100Ds are in high 40k for price and the Performance is in the low 50s. Usually around a 5k or so difference.

My question is is the 2019 worth the extra premium.

From what I can tell is the car is near identical, the 2019 will have around 40 miles extra range, the more advanced suspension, and would not have the sunroof that could leak. Aside from that all seems to be the same.

I have struggled to find performance numbers for the 2019. Nearest I can tell is the 2018 is faster to 60 mph ( by maybe a couple tenths?) but the 2019 catches it at the 1/4 mile mark. I find posted 1/4 times of 10.5 for each car. I can not find posted 0-60 for the 2019. I'm not sure if any of the difference in performance would be perceivable while driving.

So thats thats, I cant wait to get my Model S.

Your input will be appreciated.

it all depends on what is important to you.

First and foremost, the 2019 will have another year or two of battery warranty. The Raven 2019 will also have true one-pedal driving as the new motor design allows regen down to a complete stop.

The 2017s (and early 2018s) may or may not have MCU2 depending on whether the prior owner upgraded it. That would be a $1500 minimum add-on ($2000 if you want FM/XM radio) which I would say is well worth it.

The 2017 & 2018 have the option for rear-facing seats in the trunk which can be useful if you have small kids. That option was phased out at the end of 2018 although there are a small number of early pre-Raven 2019s (like mine) that have them.

If it were me purchasing, I'd go for the 2019 Raven. Range is king and the more the better. As for speed, fast is fast and it will probably be the fastest car you have ever driven even if it's a hair slower than a pre-Raven w/ludicrous.

Thanks for the advice.
I forgot to mention I am only searching for cars with MCU2.

I hadn't considered the one pedal driving aspect.

Your spot on on the warranty being longer as well.

You end your post with range is king, and I agree.

I am just trying to justify it being worth 5k for 40 to 50 extra miles of range.

Hum, I’ve had cars with adaptive suspension before, a couple vettes and currently an AMG Mercedes and if I’m being honest it’s nothing to write home about.

Do you think if I was able to test drive each I’d definitely be able to feel the difference?

Hum, I’ve had cars with adaptive suspension before, a couple vettes and currently an AMG Mercedes and if I’m being honest it’s nothing to write home about.

Do you think if I was able to test drive each I’d definitely be able to feel the difference?
Well, I came from a 2016 MS (and a 2014 before that) and always thought that what prevented the S from being the ideal daily driver was the floatiness on rebound and vagueness in corners. (BTW as a US transplant in northern England we have MANY more challenging roads here). This suspension fixed that for me. Good ride comfort, but now with a controlled ride. Of course - it does not match, say, a McLaren's "proactive chassis control" and there's still the weight - but at least it doesn't wobble like the older cars.

Make sure you test going over large humps comparing Comfort to Sport. And off course, the suspension settings won't fix the impact of the narrow profile tires on 21" wheels.

Perhaps if you are just doing freeway miles and suburban boulevard girds - it won't matter.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and SilverGS
I want to buy now, but after watching the market for a month, the prices have been falling pretty fast.
I wonder when 2017-2020 model Ss will stop depreciating faster than the rest of the used car market.

Nobody wants to spend 50k today on a car that will be 40k tomorrow.

Hello everybody,

Long time listener 1st time caller:

I'm looking for some advice. I am looking to buy a Model S. All my searching and research has lead me to a couple different options.

I'm looking at 2017-2018 P100D (with ludicrous) Vs 2019 Performance (raven) also with ludicrous.

The car I buy will have FSD.

I have found a couple instances of each car. They have around 50k miles.

The P100Ds are in high 40k for price and the Performance is in the low 50s. Usually around a 5k or so difference.

My question is is the 2019 worth the extra premium.

From what I can tell is the car is near identical, the 2019 will have around 40 miles extra range, the more advanced suspension, and would not have the sunroof that could leak. Aside from that all seems to be the same.

I have struggled to find performance numbers for the 2019. Nearest I can tell is the 2018 is faster to 60 mph ( by maybe a couple tenths?) but the 2019 catches it at the 1/4 mile mark. I find posted 1/4 times of 10.5 for each car. I can not find posted 0-60 for the 2019. I'm not sure if any of the difference in performance would be perceivable while driving.

So thats thats, I cant wait to get my Model S.

Your input will be appreciated.

The 2018 to 2019 is a fairly significant upgrade, I would 100% go for the 2019/2020 cars.

The 40mi extra range is HUGE and is not "nearly identical" there is significant improvement in efficiency as well as drive unit (permanent magent motor in front) in the newer 2019/2020 cars.

Also remember there are many small changes even within model years...Tesla does not do what legacy car makers do and make big changes from one year to the next...there's always incremental changes and then with 2019 model year there is a step up to the Raven platform so there's that

Did Tesla apply an update to allow single pedal driving on non raven Model Ss?
Can't fix hardware limitation with an update lol
But "one pedal driving" is vague term
Any tesla can do one pedal driving except pre-raven can't stop from 7-0 mph using regen...

Also, in an emergency or if u need to slow down faster than regen u technically still need "second pedal"
So, ppl need to really specify what they mean by "one pedal"...

Reactions: pilotSteve