Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Carmax 2018 Model S P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it - lookingat buying a used 2018 Model S, 46K miles for about $34K. It seems like a great deal, but having a friend who just bought a used Model S and have the battery stop working 3 months later, it got me worried. As far as I understand, the 8-year warranty will last until 2026 -- but then what?

I'm wondering if anyone has statistics on how often batteries actually die (I don't mind it not fully charging), or ways to ensure after the end of the 8 years? I'd love to get the car.

Reactions: David Harvey
yeah, it could happen. you're covered until 2026, but that's just 2 years. the 100 batteries seem to be doing pretty good. The other issue on the performance S's is failure of the rear (large) drive unit. If plopping down 20k for a battery or 6k for a drive unit is not something you could do, then this car isn't for you. There is a reason that this car, previously around $150k is selling for 34k... (me, I'd jump on it right away and take the risk)