Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D--planning for LDU issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2018 P100D on a certain car auction site; I couldn't resist at the price. It has under 20K miles, which is a mixed blessing given the reports of LDU failure happening more frequently on low-mileage cars.

I'm trying to figure out the best approach with respect to the potential for LDU failure. My thoughts are:
(1) Drive it until it's close to the drive unit warranty expiration in 2026
(2) At that point, ask Tesla to examine the drive unit for coolant leakage at the speed sensor--and hopefully replace the drive unit with a "U" model if that is found.
(3) If no leakage, take it to an independent shop to do the coolant delete using this aftermarket part.

My main concern, though, is that the car will be 3 hours from the nearest service center. If the drive unit fails, is that likely to have some warning signs such that I can get it to the service center, or do they fail completely and suddenly? I assume the car won't allow driving with just the front motor functional, so I'm concerned about being stranded in a remote location.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: David Harvey
I just bought a 2018 P100D on a certain car auction site; I couldn't resist at the price. It has under 20K miles, which is a mixed blessing given the reports of LDU failure happening more frequently on low-mileage cars.

I'm trying to figure out the best approach with respect to the potential for LDU failure. My thoughts are:
(2) At that point, ask Tesla to examine the drive unit for coolant leakage at the speed sensor--and hopefully replace the drive unit with a "U" model if that is found.
(3) If no leakage, take it to an independent shop to do the coolant delete using this aftermarket part.

My main concern, though, is that the car will be 3 hours from the nearest service center. If the drive unit fails, is that likely to have some warning signs such that I can get it to the service center, or do they fail completely and suddenly? I assume the car won't allow driving with just the front motor functional, so I'm concerned about being stranded in a remote location.

Any recommendations?
I understand that the main reason for failure is the often slow and gradual leakage of coolant via the rotor seal. I would drive it normally, keep an eye on the coolant level and well before warranty expiration, do this check:

Any recommendations?
Ask if you can get the car towed to the nearest SC, if you call roadside or your own breakdown service you can tell them about the drive unit, i wouldn't particularly worry about it failing considering the cars millage is under 20k, but exactly where and what sources are you gathering this information regarding ''drive unit failures'' from? It would better if you would supply that as not everything you see is true, some people are just outright smart A's so don't their word for what their saying.

I own a 2017 P100D and mine has failed twice both under warranty thank god.

First time I pulled into the Baytown, Texas Supercharger and got a “Vehicle Not Driveable Service Required” message when I plugged it in to charge. Towed to the Houston SC. I live in Florida so I ended up with plane tickets and hotels plus two weeks waiting for parts before I could fly to Houston and drive it back to Florida. The “T” version was installed.

4,500 miles later it shut down suddenly as I was getting onto the local Interstate near my house. Towed to the local SC and this time got the “U” version with the coolant delete mod.

Just did a road trip (Tampa-Huntington Beach, CA) and it seems to be working fine now.

My feeling at this point is that it is a design problem with the vehicle and anyone who doesn’t address it is sitting on a ticking time bomb.