Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My favourites last few days has been oct 20$ calls, and april 36$ calls. I am not gonna give advices here tho, Im just saying what I got. If there is possible to still get the 34$ Jan14 calls for 0.40 I would be all over that.

If I had SCTY today, I would have sold all of it and got CSIQ, but thats just me. I didnt have any SCTY, so what do I know :)

Yeah JAN is probably a bit in the middle of Quarters....but I like to have some extra time. JAN calls would be a play on Q3 earnings (with some margin) and April for Q4 ER. That should be about right no? (Sorry I'm leveraging the more experienced users on the forum to avoid making stupid mistakes)

Unrelated: SCTY is at it again................47$ resistance showing signs of weakness.

Yeah JAN is probably a bit in the middle of Quarters....but I like to have some extra time. JAN calls would be a play on Q3 earnings (with some margin) and April for Q4 ER. That should be about right no? (Sorry I'm leveraging the more experienced users on the forum to avoid making stupid mistakes)

Yes, dont by nov based on earnings. I did that in Q2 on SOL. Lost a ton. With JAN and APR you also get the news when they sell plants in the end of the quarters.

Jhall, congrats? Did you cash out your call?

Are all the solar companies we are tracking here expected to release their Q3 earnings in November? It would be great to have a list of potential dates to help with timing and short-term strategy. For instance, JASO reported their Q3 2012 last year on November 28, 2012. Is it like to be around that date or could it be a totally different date, perhaps first week of Nov?

I hope you don't get burned with "short-term" strategy. In the short run solars are extremely volatile. In the long run they will make you money.

Yeah, I'm tempted to sell off my SCTY now before it dips too much again. CSIQ a good alternative? That's my only thought now is that I have nowhere else in mind to put that money if I sold it off.

Is the general consensus here is that the stock will dip again? Looks like there is a lot of love here for the Chinese manufacturers but not for SCTY, do you think their business model is not that good or that the company is overvalued?

Yeah, I'm tempted to sell off my SCTY now before it dips too much again. CSIQ a good alternative? That's my only thought now is that I have nowhere else in mind to put that money if I sold it off.

If you're a buy-and-hold investor, now is not the time to sell SCTY. SCTY's announced FY 2014 guidance is off the charts. This is really big news. I doubt we'll ever see SCTY below $43 ever again. SCTY (the stock) just got the catalyst it needs to trend a lot higher.

Also, I've shared this in detail before but personally I think SCTY is the strongest long-term play in solar (see my previous posts on SCTY).

Is the general consensus here is that the stock will dip again? Looks like there is a lot of love here for the Chinese manufacturers but not for SCTY, do you think their business model is not that good or that the company is overvalued?

My take is that it proves that the chinese will rise alot after earnings. Since they are valued alot lower then SCTY, in the long rund SCTY is not overvalued. But the others are def. undervalued.

It's not a general consensus. I am not super active in the stock market or anything like that, I'm still in the learning stages. My general feeling of everything is that what goes up must come down at some point :) So, seriously, don't listen to anything I say, I'm more here to learn.

I don't know why but people here are always quick to sell their winners. I don't have much of a position in SCTY, but if I had to trade SCTY I would be buying.

There is love for Chinese companies here, because I started the trend.

I really recommend that people do their own due diligence on these companies. I have come to my investment decisions based solely on my own personal research without any influence at all from other people on this forum or any other forum.

I am placing my bets accordingly based on my research (which is very extensive). A lot of people can get burned here with these "short-term" options plays just as they did during q2. I came out of Q2 alright and now I am running stronger than ever, because I had a strategy and stuck to it. I also had the knowledge that allowed me to buy these companies on the cheap after their Q2 dip (while others were taking losses).

You guys really need to spend about 40 hours a week reading conference call transcripts, earnings releases, financial statements, company presentations, etc. to make informed decisions. Don't spend your time reading forums to try to find out what to buy and when. Read the information that the company supplies and then make informed investment decisions based on your own personal research.

I cringe when I read about people trying to figure out whether a company will report earnings before Nov. 16th so they can buy November call options instead of December options. :cursing:

- - - Updated - - -

If you're a buy-and-hold investor, now is not the time to sell SCTY. SCTY's announced FY 2014 guidance is off the charts. This is really big news. I doubt we'll ever see SCTY below $43 ever again. SCTY (the stock) just got the catalyst it needs to trend a lot higher.

Also, I've shared this in detail before but personally I think SCTY is the strongest long-term play in solar (see my previous posts on SCTY).

DaveT beat me to it.

There you go, now is not the time to be selling SCTY.

Yes, dont by nov based on earnings. I did that in Q2 on SOL. Lost a ton. With JAN and APR you also get the news when they sell plants in the end of the quarters.

Got some 19$ strike calls for Jan and Apr... just dipped my toes in a little....I'll see what happens monday... I have a feeling the U.S. government still needs some time to fix its problems. If I am right monday we might have better prices. What I bought today will make sure I don't regret waiting until then.

Well I was slightly hedging today the fast runup of SCTY. Half of my position got hedged at about $46 making a risk free spread for January. And the other half is something that I keep around for possible pop from ER. Not even bothering to look when it is, but considering the volatility of solars I've tried to have multiple contracts everywhere so that I can hedge some parts of the position giving me guaranteed profits on half of the position and running longer with the other half.

Thanks DaveT, Norse, JGard, and sleepyhead. I definitely prefer a "buy and hold" strategy and I do tend to stick with winners (have been riding Tesla stock since $30), and you have just reassured me that there is nothing inherently wrong with SCTY so I'm keeping it, too :) Going to sell some of my more conservative stock and invest in Chinese companies, too.

While true, I think there's going to be one more dip. This pop is driven by so many things. They just bought a company, bumped guidance, and early released some Q3 key metrics. I nibbled (very little) today. My question is... why did they release some of those Q3 metrics?

Here is a quick question for everyone investing in these solar stocks.

Which company's logo is a red and orange sunburst? Which one is an Orange colored sun? Which one uses a red dot to indicate the sun? What are their corporate colors? Which one has a picture of a canoe on their website? My hopes is that I will at least get you to visit their websites, preferably visit the IR portions of their websites also. Oh yea, and who uses a different domain for their IR website?