Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I closed my entire CSIQ position today when it reached $30. I got rid of CSIQ calls a few days back. It's my way of dealing with the huge loss on TSLA Dec 21 calls. I've made more profit on CSIQ than the loss on TSLA, so I can finally live with it :wink: and learned a lot along the way.

Hope CSIQ will keep going up from here, it will be an amazing story (already up 13x for the year!). I may buy in again, even if it goes up from here. Just had to do this profit taking to feel good again about my decisions (you lose some, you win some, it's all a game).

And many here have expressed this before, thank you sleepyhead! Without you I wouldn't even have known about CSIQ.

So to turn this into a learning experience, as I'm still new to this...

I'm guessing the institutional investors already knew what JASO and TSL would report. They see limits to growth in the near term, and they're reducing their position to take their cash gains. I'm still planning to hold for the long term.

I don't know when you purchased JASO or TSL, but I've learned a good time to buy is 2+ weeks prior to ER. Anything less the run up has already started.

I'm long on a few solars too, and I think we'll do fine.

I closed my entire CSIQ position today when it reached $30. I got rid of CSIQ calls a few days back. It's my way of dealing with the huge loss on TSLA Dec 21 calls. I've made more profit on CSIQ than the loss on TSLA, so I can finally live with it :wink: and learned a lot along the way.

Hope CSIQ will keep going up from here, it will be an amazing story (already up 13x for the year!). I may buy in again, even if it goes up from here. Just had to do this profit taking to feel good again about my decisions (you lose some, you win some, it's all a game).

And many here have expressed this before, thank you sleepyhead! Without you I wouldn't even have known about CSIQ.

Well that's better than me. I got into Solar late and have to bet on CSIQ and JKS and the sector going up in December and early next year. JKS strangely sold off today where most solars are up.

Well that's better than me. I got into Solar late and have to bet on CSIQ and JKS and the sector going up in December and early next year. JKS strangely sold off today where most solars are up.

I got back into CSIQ today with Jan '16 $35 calls, much less risk (and reward probably ;-) ) than the Jan '14 calls I sold last week. Bought more TSLA Jan '16 $150 calls as well.

I got back into CSIQ today with Jan '16 $35 calls, much less risk (and reward probably ;-) ) than the Jan '14 calls I sold last week. Bought more TSLA Jan '16 $150 calls as well.

% wise those calls are almost exactly the same on the upside. Interesting although probably total coincidence. With all the price targets for Tesla still being bumped down my warm n fuzzy about buying more TSLA is not quite strong yet. But shorter term, pending no more sudden negative news on Tesla, TSLA may slightly outperform solar and reach the $140s again and hang out there for a bit, after which Solar will likely overtake and outperform TSLA again. Lets see how things play out. Have a nice and safe Thanksgiving ya'll.

Last edited:
Hi guys, hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. This week has been brutal for JKS and CSIQ. Here's a positive article on JKS and indirectly TSL

JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd. (JKS): JinkoSolar: A Rock Star Of The Solar Industry Is Born - Seeking Alpha

Thanks for the link. I admit that I find that the stocks I follow most closely (TSLA, JASO, CSIQ and JKS) always seem to dip AFTER a positive SA article.:wink:

Positive report about CSIQ: http://www.solarpvinvestor.com/spvi-news/831-canadian-solar-is-looking-strong-in-2014 I very much enjoy reading/researching on this site...solarpvinvestor

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I admit that I find that the stocks I follow most closely (TSLA, JASO, CSIQ and JKS) always seem to dip AFTER a positive SA article.:wink:

Positive report about CSIQ: http://www.solarpvinvestor.com/spvi-news/831-canadian-solar-is-looking-strong-in-2014 I very much enjoy reading/researching on this site...solarpvinvestor

Was going to post the CSIQ one too but looks like you beat me to it :) The author is long CSIQ, JKS, and SOL. I also posted an article above on th cyclical nature on Solar profits. What do you make of it?

Well, with the end of year approaching I'm going to have to clean out some positions for tax and cash flow reasons. Market timing is everything I guess. I was just too late to the game, not reading this thread until mid Oct which turns out to have been a poor time to buy. If I'd bought a month before that, the world would look much different.

CSIQ (and JKS gets an honorable mention) has done its best to try and even things out, but TSL, JASO, and particularly SOL have been significant losses even if most of those had great overall years.

Well, with the end of year approaching I'm going to have to clean out some positions for tax and cash flow reasons. Market timing is everything I guess. I was just too late to the game, not reading this thread until mid Oct which turns out to have been a poor time to buy. If I'd bought a month before that, the world would look much different.

CSIQ (and JKS gets an honorable mention) has done its best to try and even things out, but TSL, JASO, and particularly SOL have been significant losses even if most of those had great overall years.

The fundamentals are still strong in Solar, however the bearish trend for the past two weeks have been the longest since the rally started this year. After a healthy earnings season this seems to be odd.

The fundamentals are still strong in Solar, however the bearish trend for the past two weeks have been the longest since the rally started this year. After a healthy earnings season this seems to be odd.
Yea, I'll be holding a couple solars indefinitely, I'm not sour on them. Just bad timing to get into it and I might as well write off losses on some for this tax year.

Yea, I'll be holding a couple solars indefinitely, I'm not sour on them. Just bad timing to get into it and I might as well write off losses on some for this tax year.

I bought JKS at $34 (stock) and the 15% decline makes me think previous buyers of JKS went Black Friday shopping with my money :)
-------------------------------------------

Apparently George Soros bought 121K shares of JKS around $15+/share last. Not sure if he sold.

Soros Posts Losses with JKS, TRQ and YUME, Sighs TGIF

Last edited:
EU Nations Approve Pact With China on Solar-Panel Imports - Bloomberg

EU Nations Approve Pact With China on Solar-Panel Imports

Market seems happy about this.

This article is two days old and has nothing to do with today's price movement. Solar is a very fast moving, (most of the times) news driven industry. You really have to stay on top of the game if you don't want to lose your shirt.

It is a very risky industry that requires and immense amount of research just to have a fighting chance. Otherwise it is just gambling.

This article is two days old and has nothing to do with today's price movement. Solar is a very fast moving, (most of the times) news driven industry. You really have to stay on top of the game if you don't want to lose your shirt.

It is a very risky industry that requires and immense amount of research just to have a fighting chance. Otherwise it is just gambling.

So what news is driving today's price movement, in your opinion?