Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tri-Motor is all about that 2.9 seconds. A lot of people buy trucks to pose in, not work in. It's very tempting to have a grufty big man-truck that smack's your mate's Porsche's arse at a traffic-light.
My opinion is that it's about range. I care less about the 2.9 seconds, but having the extra range is really great. The 2.9 sec is just a side-effect (for me).

This tends to be my thinking. Not interested in going that quickly in a hardened exoskeleton battering ram.

For those that can live with 10k lbs of towing (most, I am guessing) the issue is primarily battery capacity options.

The large tires and generous clearance help a lot to mitigate the need for 4 wheel drive even. I think Winter driving should be pretty doable given the weight, good traction and ample clearance --- unless plowing is in the plan.
Provided you have good winter tires. The tires shown in the reveal will be like a sled on ice. (they will be good for deep off-road snow though).

The Dual CT will likely have two motor types, like the Ravens, with different gear ratios.

I think I am asking a slightly different question. I am assuming the new dual motor drive unit in the rear of the CT (tri-motor version for example) will have 2 motors of the same type. There is one reduction gear in single motor drive units but it might be possible to have 2 different reduction gears in a two motor drive unit with each motor optimized slightly differently - almost like a 2 speed transmission but without the many transmission issues.

This would have a similar effect to the different motor characteristics available on the dual motor (front and rear) vehicles today.

I think with some clever SW this should be possible and it would be helpful to optimize the torque curve for hauling and probably help with regen as well.

I think I am asking a slightly different question. I am assuming the new dual motor drive unit in the rear of the CT (tri-motor version for example) will have 2 motors of the same type. There is one reduction gear in single motor drive units but it might be possible to have 2 different reduction gears in a two motor drive unit with each motor optimized slightly differently - almost like a 2 speed transmission but without the many transmission issues.

This would have a similar effect to the different motor characteristics available on the dual motor (front and rear) vehicles today.

I think with some clever SW this should be possible and it would be helpful to optimize the torque curve for hauling and probably help with regen as well.

The dual rear drive unit will have identical gearing on both sides. If not, then there will be a mismatch between the torque and speed limits resulting in one motor being reduced to match the other (both producing the same wheel power, but at different motor RPMs). Otherwise, it will experience differential torque vectoring. I don't see the achievable shift in efficiency being worth the complexity to pull that off.

Like the S/X, the semi has different ratios (23 and 13:1) for the two rear axels to spread the motor curves across RPM. However, it is dealing with higher loads and lower top speed.

Provided you have good winter tires. The tires shown in the reveal will be like a sled on ice. (they will be good for deep off-road snow though).

Yep, tires are important. My challenge is deep snow on a steep lane. I have to get to the top of the hill to get the tractor out to push the snow off the hill. 16" clearance is going to be helpful.

If stuff happens and I get bound up then I just walk up worst case. I am willing to give simple RWD a go on the CT.

Reactions: jerry33
The dual rear drive unit will have identical gearing on both sides. If not, then there will be a mismatch between the torque and speed limits resulting in one motor being reduced to match the other (both producing the same wheel power, but at different motor RPMs). Otherwise, it will experience differential torque vectoring. I don't see the achievable shift in efficiency being worth the complexity to pull that off.

You may be right. Are you envisioning a differential involved? I was thinking the 2 motor rear drive unit would be independent and avoid a differential somehow. If they could figure it out in SW and avoid a differential they would have a great version of Tesla-traction and minimize mechanical complexity. If one motor fails (snapped shaft) or overheats then the other could shoulder the complete load temporarily or completely until serviced.

I am trying to think out the various advantages of the double motor drive unit. It is interesting and I am hoping it is more than just power.

You may be right. Are you envisioning a differential involved? I was thinking the 2 motor rear drive unit would be independent and avoid a differential somehow. If they could figure it out in SW and avoid a differential they would have a great version of Tesla-traction and minimize mechanical complexity. If one motor fails (snapped shaft) or overheats then the other could shoulder the complete load temporarily or completely until serviced.

I am trying to think out the various advantages of the double motor drive unit. It is interesting and I am hoping it is more than just power.
This is what I thought happened. No differential, just software controlling the traction of each rear wheel.

No differential, just direct drive and software based traction/ torque management.
A setup like the Prius (I think) would allowef blending two different motors together via gearing, but not needed here.

From a business view:
Given:
  1. Tesla will be cell limited for the near future
  2. Tesla sets a goal of 30% gross margin on vehicles
  3. Tesla is continually reducing pack and cell costs
  4. Tesla's goal is the push sustainable energy as fast as possible

Then I say it logically follows that Tesla would rather sell 2 trucks each with one unit of storage than 1 truck with two units of storage.
100kWh @ $100/kWh = $10k raw goods. That's $3k profit increase vs an additional $40k to $70k truck generating $12k to $21k profit.
  1. Same number of cells
  2. Higher profit due to additional cost of second body
  3. The cells are not the bulk of the cost
  4. Either they sell twice as many EVs, thus replacing twice as many ICE, or generate more revenue for other projects or price reductions...l
Simplifying that the induction and PMSR motors cost the same, Tesla likely can't make 30% margins on the single motor...

upload_2019-12-7_10-34-56.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Checking the math, I get the following (assuming 30% margin and the dual motor battery costs @ 20% higher than single):

Single: COGS: $31,500, MSRP: $45000
Dual: COGS: $37,100, MSRP: $53,000
Triple: COGS: $49,000, MSRP: $70,000

Really? If they are into drag racing or need to tow 14,000 lbs then yes. There is no way to get around the added complexity of an extra motor (controls, wiring, cooling etc) I believe the regular Tesla differential is a simple one.

They would be paying a whopping 40% up-charge. It hardly makes sense except for specific requirements. The dual motor is more reliable, plenty fast and you keep all that cash in your pocket which is part of what a truck is supposed to do.

I was wondering when everyone would start wondering why we need a tri-motor setup. My first thought was that it adds safety when towing, especially large trailers. Remember, during the Semi reveal Tesla stated that jack-knifing the trailer could be eliminated by using torque steering. Tri-motor should give you that. Should help in icy conditions. And the extra torque and horsepower is nice (addictive actually).

I ordered the Tri-motor.

I was wondering when everyone would start wondering why we need a tri-motor setup. My first thought was that it adds safety when towing, especially large trailers. Remember, during the Semi reveal Tesla stated that jack-knifing the trailer could be eliminated by using torque steering. Tri-motor should give you that. Should help in icy conditions. And the extra torque and horsepower is nice (addictive actually).

I ordered the Tri-motor.

I ordered a tri motor strictly because of range. Don’t need anywhere near that much acceleration.

Reactions: jerry33