Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car design is on the wrong track?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been doing so many things right, it pains me to zero in on something pretty basic that I think they've been doing badly, or maybe I should say erratically. I'm referring to vehicle design.

I don't mean styling. All credit to Franz. He's done fantastic work with the basic vehicle concepts and platforms that he's been given. The new Roadster in particular is a beauty that can stand up with the classics IMHO. I'm not sure who designed the Semi, but I think it's perfect too. However. . .

Tesla product design has been hit-or-miss. Hits: Model S. Model 3. Model Y. Semi. Misses: Model X. New Roadster. Cybertruck.

The over-engineered Model X was notoriously expensive to produce, when a taller Model S (with conventional doors!) would have been Just Fine. Anecdotally, it was other board members who prevailed on Musk to get the Model Y designed as a taller Model 3 (with a hatch!) instead of a heavily re-engineered and more ambitious vehicle. I think sales numbers will show that reigning in Elon's excesses was the right move for the Y.

The new Roadster is a beauty, but IMO its specifications are too ambitious, and that's one factor (among several) that I believe has delayed and delayed its production. Even when it eventually gets built, I think it's going to be too expensive, too heavy, and too "gadgety" for a lot of real sports car lovers, include many who adore the original Roadster's simplicity and purity. I think the Lotus Type 135 will be closer to what many of us wanted, and it might even hit the market first too.

And now we have the Cybertruck. I'm not going to gripe about its looks, because have you seen current production Ford and GM and Ram pickups? I mean, yeesh, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! None of these are beauty queens. My problem is that the Cybertruck follows the Elon Musk pattern of more-and-bigger everything, and one-upmanship. In the case of pickup trucks, the other companies have already gone there. Their products are monstrosities, largely because CAFE rules in the USA incentivize huge trucks. But those CAFE rules don't apply to EVs! This was a perfect opportunity to create a new category of vehicle, to zig where other companies zagged.

Tesla instead could have done a small pickup truck like we used to see popular in the 1980s, but which Ford and GM and Ram can't produce today (in ICE form) because the CAFE formula would kill them. Tesla could have had that category all to themselves instead of creating a mostrosity to go head-to-head against the F-150 monstrosity.

And the moment came when I realized that I don't have a lot of faith in Tesla's future product plans. It seems like new models are slow to appear, and each one is going to be a roll of the dice. I trust they're going to continue to have advantage in certain areas, like software integration and energy efficiency. But overall design concept? I'm uneasy about that, to say the least.

47672278811_8931124a37_b (1).jpg

"The Rear of the Tesla Roadster 2.0" by jurvetson is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

That Cybertruck is ugly as sin. When I saw that it also has a yoke and stalkless design well that was the end for me.

I like driving Tesla vehicles, I really do. I have bought 4 of them over the years, two of them are in the garage right now and no gas guzzlers at this house.

Also would really like to own an electric pickup. Just waiting to see who is the first to deliver one with an NACS charge port.
I'm guessing Ford or GM for the 2025 model year, but we'll see. :)

When I bash the CT and the person behind demanding it's production I'm not shaming those who reserve / buy / drive / enjoy a CT. It's objectively ugly and it makes no sense, but maybe it's fun to own and drive - who knows, the hideous Ford Edsel was probably nice from some perspectives.

Among other things, I'm pointing out the strange dichotomy of a company that's willing to yank out USS, a well known, understood, and highly successful technology to save a few bucks on every car as if the company is Hundai or even Yugo, and yet pushes into things like the CT and the Tesla Semi. At this point, the boy who would be king should have nothing to do with design and production decisions at Tesla. They have professional designers and engineers for that, and given the remaining pre-Elon Tesla DNA they will likely produce remarkable results and features that actually work as promised. The Tesla board should find a way to either dump him entirely or push him into emeritus status where folks nod wisely when he speaks and then completely ignore him when it comes to actual decisions while he plays with the remnants of the steaming pile that Twitter has always been.

Among other things, I'm pointing out the strange dichotomy of a company
that's willing to yank out USS, a well known, understood, and highly successful technology
to save a few bucks on every car as if the company is Hundai or even Yugo,

We are lucky that Tesla vehicles still have a trunk lid, look at the Tata Nano
whose trunk was only accessible from inside the car, as the rear hatch didn't open to save some Rupees.

Note: Maybe I should not mention this, at it seems that Tesla engineers get bonus when recommending removing parts.

Tata Nano Trunk .JPG

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdub
How do we even know this? Tesla never confirmed how many reservations there are. It’s just some fan site basically making a guess.
Elon confirmed on last earnings call
Tons of people pre-ordered the Model 3 because of the promise of a $30k car. Of course that never happened and a lot of people cancelled.
Yet bunch of them were sold n stock skyrocketed in 2018...
I would bet a ton of people pre-ordered the CT because of the promise of a $40k version, which was cheaper than the cheapest Model 3 at the time of CT pre-orders opening. The real pricing will be nowhere near $40k and most people will cancel.
Sure that happens all the time when pre-order costs $100 or some small amount
U forget how many rich ppl out there lol Just look at how many bought $100k+ S/X
Plus, Elon said it'll be a while before CT ramps up so the small amount they will produce will barely be enough to fulfill orders

The Tesla board should find a way to either dump him entirely or push him into emeritus status where folks nod wisely when he speaks and then completely ignore him when it comes to actual decisions while he plays with the remnants of the steaming pile that Twitter has always been.
I never understood this logic
Elon created the company n he can do whatever he wants with it, including running it to the ground.
Why should other ppl force him off??
U sound like government lol
Why don't u create ur own car company n then have someone push u to the side
Bottom line is, u don't like something, don't buy the product :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Dracaris
Elon “confirmed” 1 million Cybertruck preorders. However, that by no means equates to the actual sales. I forget how many the estimated would be built in the first year, but it’s a fraction of the preorders. Only the most dedicated preorders will end up being fulfilled and it will be interesting to see how many that turns out to be. They’ll be lucky to fill 25% of those orders in the next 2 years.

Elon confirmed on last earnings call

Yet bunch of them were sold n stock skyrocketed in 2018...

Sure that happens all the time when pre-order costs $100 or some small amount
U forget how many rich ppl out there lol Just look at how many bought $100k+ S/X
Plus, Elon said it'll be a while before CT ramps up so the small amount they will produce will barely be enough to fulfill orders

Elon created the company n he can do whatever he wants with it, including running it to the ground.
You should read up on the history of Tesla. Elon did not create the company. He’s not even a true founder. He came in late, bought the majority of shares to take control and booted out the original founders.

Apple is not the model if you want innovation. Apple has not come out with a single new product since Steve died.
What do you mean? There's an Apple credit card!

But seriously the Apple Watch has been released. And shockingly the revenue of Air Pods alone is bigger than many well known companies.

I agree that innovation is stagnant though execution is excellent.

Tesla is going to face more serious competition than ever before---Apple is not. BYD and BMW (with Neue Klasse) will challenge Tesla on low and high end.

Tim is running the company extremely well, but there is zero vision.

My point was to split the difference. Have someone competent doing operations that can ensure customers have a good experience. Then have Elon as an evangelist with his crazy ideas to keep pushing the company forward. Steve Jobs had plenty of product failures at Apple along with the successes.
I think JB Straubel should be CEO. He is on the board now, and a universally well regarded technologist from the early days of Tesla with dominant understanding of battery engineering.

Reactions: strider and KJD
He did not. He funded early development and expansion and brought in many excellent engineers.

Because the Board represents all stockholders. Elon has 15% or less now, and has been selling. His attention and skill are waning. This is the job of the BOD. This is no small grocery bodega, but the only new major automobile manufacturer outside China in generations. It's a societal and national scale importance---as if US should let Boeing or Lockheed run itself into irrelevance because of juvenile leadership.

That is starting to happen, and why people are rightfully complaining.

Bring back rain sensor, radar and ultrasonics, raise price $400. Stop calling FSD "FSD", rename to Advanced Autopilot Assist. Priced $6000, EAP $3000. Make them good driver assist. Steady leadership with no weird aggressive opinions on Twitter.

The only EV buyer I personally know other than myself took an inferior product to not give Tesla money because of Elon and the new embarrassment.

He did not create Tesla.
Tesla is a publicly traded company. Intentionally running it into the ground would be a criminal matter.
He should be forced out because he is no longer fit for the job.

You should read up on the history of Tesla. Elon did not create the company. He’s not even a true founder. He came in late, bought the majority of shares to take control and booted out the original founders.
Technically you are correct. In reality, Elon created the Tesla that we see (and own) today. Without him, there would not be any Tesla.

I highly recommend you read the new Elon biography from Walter Isaacson. Even if you hate Elon, as there is something there for you too 😉

Even if you hate Elon, as there is something there for you too 😉
I wouldn't say I hate him as hate is a very strong word. Extremely disappointed with him would be more apt. Let's just say my opinion of him has greatly decreased ever since he took the red pill and bought Twitter and went down the conspiracy theory Q rabbit hole. Extremely disappointing. Tesla and SpaceX brands have almost certainly lost their shine over the past year.

But I digress.

I think his recent design choices removing stalks, yolk, square cyber wheel, removing ultrasonics, radar, and rain sensors have been quite poor.

Still the 2023 Model Y is the best car and driving experience I've ever had and still recommend Tesla above all others.

I wouldn't say I hate him as hate is a very strong word. Extremely disappointed with him would be more apt. Let's just say my opinion of him has greatly decreased ever since he took the red pill and bought Twitter and went down the conspiracy theory Q rabbit hole. Extremely disappointing. Tesla and SpaceX brands have almost certainly lost their shine over the past year.
I'm an empirical scientist and let the data speak. Musk did not used to be like this previously. 20 to 10 years ago, when Tesla and SpaceX were starting, he added great value in finding and motivating great employees, and convincing tech bros to invest. The vision and drive and willing to work super hard to overcome obstacles by technical excellence were valuable.

He started going downhill after the Model 3 factory ramp. I think it's drug abuse, particularly amphetamines which probably started during that period. Remember how he "slept at the factory" and worshipped hard work? At first, they boost your productivity for sure, but over time they make you delusional, narcissistic and impossible to deal with. He had a fit when one county health official closed down the factory for a week during early pandemic. Even though the CA state officials were very cooperative and were trying to get it going again even before almost every other business opened up. Nevertheless he took it as evil woke conspiracy and went off from there.

Old Elon wouldn't have bothered with any of this twitter and political nonsense. He got hooked on the Q anon style just like drugs.

Old Elon would think: "Is this progressing to putting a city on Mars? No? Why should I waste any thought or money on it?"

Old Elon would think: "Russia is a bunch of useless parasitical thugs who I will crush with rocket superiority". Old Elon might even set his SpaceX engineers into thinking how to mass produce drones and rockets for Ukraine if it could add to their technical portfolio or make money.

But I digress.

I think his recent design choices removing stalks, yolk, square cyber wheel, removing ultrasonics, radar, and rain sensors have been quite poor.

Still the 2023 Model Y is the best car and driving experience I've ever had and still recommend Tesla above all others.
I think at long last there will be competition---it's been further behind than all the naive people appreciated---but it is coming.

BMW Neue Klasse (they are not so new to EV's unlike other oem makers) and especially BYD, which has the energy and drive that Tesla did in its peak years.

Technically you are correct. In reality, Elon created the Tesla that we see (and own) today. Without him, there would not be any Tesla.

I highly recommend you read the new Elon biography from Walter Isaacson. Even if you hate Elon, as there is something there for you too 😉
Franz and the engineers created the Tesla we see and own today. Elon didnt seem to interfere as much in the past; only giving direction on specific things. Then recently forcing his ideas on the company and ousting those who disagreed.

I’ve gotten enough of that book from the Ride the Lightning podcast. I’m not interested in reading more about Elon. He shows a enough of himself on social media and it’s not content I’m interested in. Just solidifies my concerns with him continuing to lead at Tesla.

Despite our great experience with out 2021 Model 3P, we very nearly picked something, anything, other than Tesla for our new EV. We wanted to land on the Mach E or the Ioniq5. Because of him. Because of his behavior. Because he's stinking up the place and making it embarrassing to own anything with the Tesla logo on it.

In the end we went with the Model Y. It's a great car, aside from the stupid things he did by removing USS, etc. It met all our requirements. It already has a NACS connector. We're used to Tesla cars. And so on. Chosen in spite of him. He was a serious net negative, and that's only going to get worse over time as he sinks deeper and deeper into whatever pit he threw himself when he went after Twitter and randomly blew $42B on that instead of sticking to the knitting at Tesla, SpaceX, and having fun with The Boring Company.

he went after Twitter and randomly blew $42B on that instead of sticking to the knitting at Tesla, SpaceX, and having fun with The Boring Company.
Imagine how much better Tesla and SpaceX would be if he hasn't gotten distracted by a Q anon squirrel. The stock wouldn't have tanked. Most people would have still looked up to him. But no he decided to go a little Cray Cray and **** up the whole genius narrative he built for himself.

Imagine how much better Tesla and SpaceX would be if he hasn't gotten distracted by a Q anon squirrel. The stock wouldn't have tanked. Most people would have still looked up to him. But no he decided to go a little Cray Cray and **** up the whole genius narrative he built for himself.
Yeah I seriously doubt that. He has not been making good decisions for quite a while even before the Twitter purchase. Both of those companies at this point would be better off without him at all. I mean Twitter would as well, but that is not going to happen for a while.

Yeah the windshields don't seem to wipe when they are supposed to early enough and seem to wipe when heading into the sun. Fun fun
Mine wipe pointing into the sun, sitting in my shaded carport, going under an overpass, just once in a while while driving normally. Just not reliably in the rain, never strong enough when heavy, does not care to hardly wipe at all in mist/light rain, and completely checks out after dark. Who would have thought cameras don't work when there is no light? If only somebody had known???? Such an innovative system.

Reactions: Dracaris and cdub
I'm well aware of how company started but thats how a lot of companies start, u don't always have to start from zero.
He took a risk n invested n turned it into biggest EV car maker, so yes its his company.

Tesla is a publicly traded company. Intentionally running it into the ground would be a criminal matter.
i guess u didn't sense my sarcasm, i didn't mean it literally but if he wants to make ugly cars he will make ugly cars...

Thank u, at least someone understands :)

Ours especially like to wipe while driving after sunset / before sunrise whenever the car's headlights reflected from road signs hit the windshield. No rain. Not even heavy clouds. We did have a full moon, though, so maybe... :p

Reactions: cdub