Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 reasons why Tesla is failing, and they all have to do with design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(LINK TO ARTICLE)

Can't say I disagree with most of the reasons. Tesla's broken promises, as a 10 year+ customer of theirs, you learn that's just Tesla. But, I can see where it would be annoying for those not used to Tesla's broken promises. A friend of mine has a new M3 on order and they can't give him an answer when his car will arrive. Was supposed to be 3 months ago. I understand his frustration.

I still technically own my Model S, but no longer my daily driver. After 9+ years, I finally got Tesla'd out. I'm one that likes something new every few years. Despite this, I kept buying new Tesla's, but was effectively looking at the same car for 9+ years. For so long, there were no reasonably competitive options. Now there are. I love my alternatives and really, aside from the charging network, don't miss driving a Tesla. Now that Tesla is opening up the superchargers, they're going to lose that advantage too.

I never loved the look of the Tesla. Always just accepted it because of how amazing the tech and overall car was.

I stayed on board until they implemented the cheaper Model 3 design elements into the far more expensive Model S. For my driving tastes, needs and preferences, the yoke was the first deal breaker. They fixed that. The other was no stalks. The other was turning the screen sideways to focus more on playing movies than to be functional for the driver.

I also tired of their attitude. Mainly, when it comes to service. Such a pain to get a simple question answered. Scheduling three months out to get your $100,000 car fixed is just unacceptable. Their "don't like it? TOUGH!" attitude doesn't work for me. After Tesla, I hate buying cars from dealers. I wouldn't change that. But, dealerships are a benefit when it comes to service. Maybe they need to consider branching out at let others assist in Service. Taking it all on on their own is overtaxing the company. They need help.

Still amazing cars, but in my area, they are a dime a dozen car. Nothing special anymore. I want something unique and cool for $100,000. The car is still great, but can't stand the spartan interiors. I know some love them, but I prefer driver simplicity over minimalist design. With no stalks, no buttons, no nothing but a screen, it is too easy to get distracted driving a Tesla.

I always hoped that once the competition caught up, Tesla would change their attitude and listen to its customers more. Now that the competition is here and they are struggling, will be interesting to see how they respond.

They need to go back to offering some OPTIONS so owner's can configure the features they want, as you could for the first 6 or 7 years. All Models need a complete redesign.

Despite my having been turned off by them and no longer buying Tesla's nor driving them daily, I still root for the company to succeed. I appreciate that because of them, EV's are where they are. And, now I hope they'll make changes to appeal to a wider group of buyers. Even many of the Tesla faithful have to be getting bored with the look of these cars after 12-13 years. Model S sales are pathetic. Start there with something that looks entirely new and different and bring back the luxury buyers.

Fingers crossed that Tesla sees the writing on the wall. They have name recognition now to compete with the big manufacturers, now they just need to catch up in terms of quality, production and variety. I'd love to own one again if they build one that's a little more driver friendly.

Ya well
I bought my used 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid in August 2023 for it's insane performance as a specialty car and couldn't be happier.
I like it's looks compared to Tesla's other Sperm Guppy models, it's horizontal large screen, the car going down the road in the cluster and I especially love the Yoke steering wheel.
The build quality is fine by me and the car is easier to work on than my BMW iX M60 EV SUV.
I got used to the steering wheel buttons and the Plaid puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Elon should have worked on building a cheaper people's model to compete with Chinese auto makers instead of wasting 5 years on his indulgent Cybertruck but having a Model S Plaid is the most exciting car I have ever owned.
Tesla's service has been fine. Safelite damaged a driver door harness replacing a chipped door glass and it was only 2 weeks to schedule a Tesla mobile service to fix it.
The tech used his discretion and didn't charge me anything to fix something that wasn't Tesla's fault.
Now in March Tesla opened a Service Center that is 5 minutes from my work should I need any service a mobile tech couldn't fix.
So far my Tesla has performed flawlessly for 8k miles and I really couldn't be more pleased with the value I got for my money...

(LINK TO ARTICLE)

Can't say I disagree with most of the reasons. Tesla's broken promises, as a 10 year+ customer of theirs, you learn that's just Tesla. But, I can see where it would be annoying for those not used to Tesla's broken promises. A friend of mine has a new M3 on order and they can't give him an answer when his car will arrive. Was supposed to be 3 months ago. I understand his frustration.

I still technically own my Model S, but no longer my daily driver. After 9+ years, I finally got Tesla'd out. I'm one that likes something new every few years. Despite this, I kept buying new Tesla's, but was effectively looking at the same car for 9+ years. For so long, there were no reasonably competitive options. Now there are. I love my alternatives and really, aside from the charging network, don't miss driving a Tesla. Now that Tesla is opening up the superchargers, they're going to lose that advantage too.

I never loved the look of the Tesla. Always just accepted it because of how amazing the tech and overall car was.

I stayed on board until they implemented the cheaper Model 3 design elements into the far more expensive Model S. For my driving tastes, needs and preferences, the yoke was the first deal breaker. They fixed that. The other was no stalks. The other was turning the screen sideways to focus more on playing movies than to be functional for the driver.

I also tired of their attitude. Mainly, when it comes to service. Such a pain to get a simple question answered. Scheduling three months out to get your $100,000 car fixed is just unacceptable. Their "don't like it? TOUGH!" attitude doesn't work for me. After Tesla, I hate buying cars from dealers. I wouldn't change that. But, dealerships are a benefit when it comes to service. Maybe they need to consider branching out at let others assist in Service. Taking it all on on their own is overtaxing the company. They need help.

Still amazing cars, but in my area, they are a dime a dozen car. Nothing special anymore. I want something unique and cool for $100,000. The car is still great, but can't stand the spartan interiors. I know some love them, but I prefer driver simplicity over minimalist design. With no stalks, no buttons, no nothing but a screen, it is too easy to get distracted driving a Tesla.

I always hoped that once the competition caught up, Tesla would change their attitude and listen to its customers more. Now that the competition is here and they are struggling, will be interesting to see how they respond.

They need to go back to offering some OPTIONS so owner's can configure the features they want, as you could for the first 6 or 7 years. All Models need a complete redesign.

Despite my having been turned off by them and no longer buying Tesla's nor driving them daily, I still root for the company to succeed. I appreciate that because of them, EV's are where they are. And, now I hope they'll make changes to appeal to a wider group of buyers. Even many of the Tesla faithful have to be getting bored with the look of these cars after 12-13 years. Model S sales are pathetic. Start there with something that looks entirely new and different and bring back the luxury buyers.

Fingers crossed that Tesla sees the writing on the wall. They have name recognition now to compete with the big manufacturers, now they just need to catch up in terms of quality, production and variety. I'd love to own one again if they build one that's a little more driver friendly.
For me, I still like the look and feel of the model S and I enjoy the changes that have been made along the way. My 2023 S feels like a completely different car than my 2013, despite looking similar from the outside. That being said, I don’t think the S is worth the asking price. I see it more as a $50-55k vehicle with the plaid being $70-75k. The sales number reflect this.

While Tesla service used to be great, it’s much less so today. My hope is that in the future there will be more independent shops that offer better service at lower rates.

Reactions: MD70
(LINK TO ARTICLE)

It's time to move on I'd say!

Tesla isn't going anywhere despite the all the "shortcomings" you've outlined. Just saying.

I'm also in the same camp as you - my next EV may not be a Tesla, but that won't make any difference to Tesla.

Let’s see:

Stale model line - seems that German company which starts with a ‘P’ is making a living out a somewhat stale model line.
Bland design - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my model 3 is growing on me, one of the best things is that it doesn’t change every other year so mine doesn’t quickly look outdated
Production problems - anyone who buys a new Tesla model first year out is on the bleeding edge, I wouldn’t do it
Poor quality - zero issues at 14K miles so far on mine, I will say that Tesla owners on Reddit seem to sometimes have ridiculous expectations
No dealerships - you seriously look at that as a negative? I’m glad I don’t have to deal with someone whose livelihood is based on how badly they screw me!
Broken promises - can’t say much here but isn’t any large company the same?

I’m just tired of all the smoke about Tesla going down, they had the #1 selling vehicle in the world last year. Those who suggest Rivan, and I really like their truck (which is clearly NOT an homage to their CEO’s whims), but how confident are you that they are not the next Fisker, they continue to bleed money with every sale! If I were to buy an EV other than Tesla it would have to be from a legacy manufacturer and it would have to support NACS.

Reactions: cptnslo and Gigga
Let’s see:

Stale model line - seems that German company which starts with a ‘P’ is making a living out a somewhat stale model line.
Bland design - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my model 3 is growing on me, one of the best things is that it doesn’t change every other year so mine doesn’t quickly look outdated
Production problems - anyone who buys a new Tesla model first year out is on the bleeding edge, I wouldn’t do it
Poor quality - zero issues at 14K miles so far on mine, I will say that Tesla owners on Reddit seem to sometimes have ridiculous expectations
No dealerships - you seriously look at that as a negative? I’m glad I don’t have to deal with someone whose livelihood is based on how badly they screw me!

I’m just tired of all the smoke about Tesla going down, they had the #1 selling vehicle in the world last year. Those who suggest Rivan, and I really like their truck (which is clearly NOT an homage to their CEO’s whims), but how confident are you that they are not the next Fisker, they continue to bleed money with every sale! If I were to buy an EV other than Tesla it would have to be from a legacy manufacturer and it would have to support NACS.
It's true while the Rivian looks like an awesome vehicle it has some complex components that may not be supported in 2 years the f150 lightning is very enticing

Reactions: Aaron Sanford
I stopped reading the article immediately after seeing the 6 reasons are six spam ads filled pages you have to click through. If they make it 20 reasons, they might be able to increase the probability of users mis-click on one of those spams. And if they have support their article this way, that tells me the quality of the article and the target audience...

Let’s see:

As I noted in my personal notes, I much prefer no dealership experience when it comes to purchasing. However, for SERVICE, it probably couldn't hurt if they branched out to start offering more service centers / dealers to work on the 1,000,000 cars per year they are production. Service is one of the biggest complaints people have against Tesla. If they solved that, could lead to more sales.

They just opened a new service center in Western New York. I'm assuming it's not the *only* new service center... so this is already happening.
No argument that they're working on new service centers. Just not sure they're expanding the service centers at the pace necessary to keep up with their production levels. They can only do so much, apparently. Nobody wants to wait 2-3 months, or longer, to get their car in for service. Unfortunately, in many areas, that is the reality.

No argument that they're working on new service centers. Just not sure they're expanding the service centers at the pace necessary to keep up with their production levels. They can only do so much, apparently. Nobody wants to wait 2-3 months, or longer, to get their car in for service. Unfortunately, in many areas, that is the reality.
The new Service Center referred to is in Buffalo NY across the street from the Tesla Giga Factory on South Park Ave.
When I had my gearbox fluid changed in Rochester I made my appointment on Wednesday for Tuesday next week.

I appreciate in general some things reported in the article. Here are my pros and cons
PRO
Tesla started a new way to design car and made a revolution on the business model: direct sale, no need to bargain the price, new production processes, Superchargers, state of the art batteries, best range by far, easy to use, cargo space (!). And, at least for me, nice design for Model S: I'd buy it again today.
And, contrary to the article (at least if you are lucky enough not to have a car with serious problems as it happened to me): excellent service center.
With dealers of another (luxury) brand it happens that you need two hours to deliver the car and explain what matters, and another two hours to have it back, despite the appointment.
With Tesla, they analyze your problem remotely and they give you an estimation of the cost. delivery and retire are the fastest ever...

CONS
Battery evolution seems to be stopped: range is no more their priority.
Stalks and other important physical commands were removed.
Too poor evaluation in case you return the car in exchange of a new one.

Today the PROs are offered also by other brands, while the CONS are on tesla side.

Next year I will change my model S. If they do not do anything about my cons, regretfully, I will buy another brand