Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why won't Tesla transfer FUSC more than once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 2016 MS with FUSC and also free internet. I bit on the offer to transfer FUSC to a new MS, but ran into many snafus with Tesla over where they would deliver due to a new policy in Oct 2023 that they won't deliver a car in a state not contiguous to where it is to be registered. So I had to fly to FL to pick it up, the FUSC transferred and driving it to OH I got rear-ended that after 7 weeks was finally declared totaled by Tesla collision center. Now I find that the FUSC was a one time only transfer, and even though this was not part of the fine print I can find, the code on it is what Tesla is saying cannot be transferred again. Never mind that if Tesla would have delivered the car where I wanted it I would not have been rear-ended and totaled. They wanted me to register a new MS in OH so they could help me transfer the FUSC, but I had to wait for the VIN to be created before the transfer could be confirmed and I still have ownership of the 2023 MS that was totaled almost 3 months ago at their recommendation. They still want me to register in OH before transferring registration to FL but that will cost me $1,365 more in sales tax than just registering in FL.

Now I have the problem of the "cannot be totaled" issue and the one time only transfer. Local Tesla manager claims that Tesla central office claims it cannot be transferred. Hmmm, a tech company cannot change something in the computer? Tesla will not is the proper language, and I cannot find out who/where the central office is that makes these rules. I have bought 2 MS, a M3 and a MY in the past 7 1/2 years so I don't think I'm just a causal customer. I would think most car companies would bend a little to customers buying a 5th car in less than 8 years. They are driving me to Lucid!

Can anyone explain where the central office is that irritates good customers? I understand why they want to get people off FUSC but when they are complicit in the problem why not help good customers. One simply cannot get a person on the phone. The whole Tesla operation works well if there is no snafu, but once it happens Tesla is maddening. Can anyone help with info on the central office.

thanks

To me, your situation follows the same logic as original free supercharging for life owners - if say a 2014 FUSC4LIFE owner totals that same car, that FUSC4LIFE doesn't transfer to any new Tesla.

I believe same applies for full self driving cars.

So I also did the one-time transfer during the Q4 promotion. I ordered my car on Oct 29. Just a few days later, on Nov 3rd, I was sent via email a copy of the supercharging transfer agreement. This was before they added into the app to make this election during the preparation for delivery process and I was told if I wanted to transfer that I should sign and return this document. I actually didn't to that, because by the time my vehicle was actually ready for delivery in late December, they have moved all transfer agreement over to the app. However, I did keep the .pdf of the agreement which they sent me. Below is an except of some of the points in the agreement. Take particular notice to #6, including the text I highlighted in red which specifically calls out the case of total loss.

In addition, you understand that the following conditions apply:
4. The transferred free Supercharging will be active while you remain the owner of the new vehicle. If you
sell or otherwise transfer ownership of the new vehicle, the transferred free Supercharging will be removed from
the vehicle and the vehicle will be defaulted to pay per use Supercharging.
5. You are responsible for any Supercharging-related fees outside of the cost to charge, including idle fees.
In accordance with Tesla policy, unpaid idle fees will result in the loss of Supercharger access until the
outstanding balance is paid.
6. The forfeiture of free, unlimited Supercharging on your current vehicle cannot be reversed after you
accept this Agreement, even in the event that the new vehicle is deemed a total loss or you cancel or reverse the
purchase of your new vehicle after delivery.
7. The free Supercharging can only be transferred this one time. This offer cannot be combined with any
other promotion or vehicle price reduction, is not redeemable for cash, and cannot be assigned to another
person or vehicle.

I'm sorry that your new car was totaled, but the transfer agreement which you would have accepted clearly does spell out this is a one time day, cannot be transferred a second time, including the situation of a total loss.

I feel your best course of action is to try and negotiate with the other parties insurance that they need to include some additional amount in the payout agreement to compensate you for the loss of FUSC. That's difficult to put a specific price on, but I have a vague memory that at one point Tesla was willing to offer FUSC or a cash discount of $5,000. I forget exactly when, and I might not have the amount correct, but I know for myself when I've run the numbers on what I thought the economic value was for me, something around $5k didn't seem to far out of whack over an 8-10 year ownership period.

So I also did the one-time transfer during the Q4 promotion. I ordered my car on Oct 29. Just a few days later, on Nov 3rd, I was sent via email a copy of the supercharging transfer agreement. This was before they added into the app to make this election during the preparation for delivery process and I was told if I wanted to transfer that I should sign and return this document. I actually didn't to that, because by the time my vehicle was actually ready for delivery in late December, they have moved all transfer agreement over to the app. However, I did keep the .pdf of the agreement which they sent me. Below is an except of some of the points in the agreement. Take particular notice to #6, including the text I highlighted in red which specifically calls out the case of total loss.

In addition, you understand that the following conditions apply:
4. The transferred free Supercharging will be active while you remain the owner of the new vehicle. If you
sell or otherwise transfer ownership of the new vehicle, the transferred free Supercharging will be removed from
the vehicle and the vehicle will be defaulted to pay per use Supercharging.
5. You are responsible for any Supercharging-related fees outside of the cost to charge, including idle fees.
In accordance with Tesla policy, unpaid idle fees will result in the loss of Supercharger access until the
outstanding balance is paid.
6. The forfeiture of free, unlimited Supercharging on your current vehicle cannot be reversed after you
accept this Agreement, even in the event that the new vehicle is deemed a total loss or you cancel or reverse the
purchase of your new vehicle after delivery.
7. The free Supercharging can only be transferred this one time. This offer cannot be combined with any
other promotion or vehicle price reduction, is not redeemable for cash, and cannot be assigned to another
person or vehicle.

I'm sorry that your new car was totaled, but the transfer agreement which you would have accepted clearly does spell out this is a one time day, cannot be transferred a second time, including the situation of a total loss.

I feel your best course of action is to try and negotiate with the other parties insurance that they need to include some additional amount in the payout agreement to compensate you for the loss of FUSC. That's difficult to put a specific price on, but I have a vague memory that at one point Tesla was willing to offer FUSC or a cash discount of $5,000. I forget exactly when, and I might not have the amount correct, but I know for myself when I've run the numbers on what I thought the economic value was for me, something around $5k didn't seem to far out of whack over an 8-10 year ownership period.
PCMc,
Thanks for your response. I never got the full written document, just the in app agreement which never lays everything out. So I really appreciate getting the things in writing.

The guy who hit me doesn't speak English, has never had a driver's license and had not paid his insurance premium to get his 2005 Highlander registered. He finally paid his premium when he found out that a new KY law mean automatic jail time if you sign up for insurance to get your plates and then drop the insurance. I don't know if this guy is still in the area, disappeared into the wind or back in Central America. His insurance is the state minimum so I have little recourse there.

PCMc,
Thanks for your response. I never got the full written document, just the in app agreement which never lays everything out. So I really appreciate getting the things in writing.

The guy who hit me doesn't speak English, has never had a driver's license and had not paid his insurance premium to get his 2005 Highlander registered. He finally paid his premium when he found out that a new KY law mean automatic jail time if you sign up for insurance to get your plates and then drop the insurance. I don't know if this guy is still in the area, disappeared into the wind or back in Central America. His insurance is the state minimum so I have little recourse there.
I'm not a super expert on insurance, but it seems to me as long as he paid for minimal insurance, you're fully covered, because YOUR own insurance will pay you everything but your collision deductible, and then when your insurance goes after his insurance, they'll recover at least enough for your deductible, to be made whole.

The main issue I guess is what your slightly used vehicle is valued at, I know when my 2016.5 Model S was totaled by a drunk driver, my insurance would only use "dealer comps", which never list FUSC as a value-added feature since it's often stripped from dealer auction cars, so FUSC was valued basically at zero, and was not an added line-item option in the original Monroney sticker. I would imagine the same even for a slightly used car, especially again since there's no specific $$$ option price attached to it - I even showed my insurance the active Tesla FUSC transfer offers, including the one offer for $5000 additional trade-in value.

Going forward, it might be possible to add FSD as an "aftermarket item" on the insurance policy. Worth checking with insurance because if you did have to replace the vehicle for a duplicate, it would cost an extra $12k than what the original MSRP was.