Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla refusing to transfer lifetime supercharging after taking delivery.....disappointing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Model S is worth maybe $25,000? The 2023 is 100k+tax. I would expect for that kind of jump to be impressed and I wasn't. Leather is better in my 2016, steering wheel doesn't feel cheap in the 2016, opening roof which I use 6 months of the year in Victoria.

All the points you listed such as improved air suspension are pretty minor given the context (8 years newer). As I said range is insane and so is acceleration problem is I can't use the acceleration/speed where I live. Max speed on highways is 90 km/h around Victoria. I think the biggest problem is the two things the 2023 really accels at (range and acceleration) I 100% don't need either.

I think the problem these days is cheap cars starting with a Mazda3, for example, are so good that there is such a small delta different going up in price.

My first car was a 1991 Integra and then my second car was a 2008 Honda Civic and I remember that being a huge jump in terms of going from no AC to AC, going from crank windows to power windows.

Then I went to a 2012 Honda Civic and then to the 2016 Tesla and the Civic to Tesla I felt was a huge jump.

Now we are talking about "quieter" from a 45k to a 100k car and the 45k is already quite quiet.
I think the biggest thing I’d say about this is I’ve never viewed any car in this price range as a “need”. It’s purely a “want” for me. In terms of “need”, I live 6km from my business, Toronto’s traffic means when I go to Raptors/Leafs/TFC games, I take the Go Train. If I got a car based on need, I could find much cheaper and likely more sensible options. Spending 100k or more on a car is many things but sensible is probably not one of them, however there is no replacing how a specific car makes you feel. In fact, for us men, there is some science behind it (Fast cars boost men's testosterone levels: research'.). When I used to drive my wife’s RX (on the rare and forced occasion), I could literally feel my testerone levels vanishing with every minute behind the wheel.

I would disagree that the primary differences are simply suspension, range and speed (although the suspension is so much better it literally drives like a different car).

The car with a fully functioning computer is a different animal. Maybe your car is different than mine but I couldn’t use my browser. Games were hit and miss. AP1 was limited. No dash cam. No sentry. No blind spot monitoring. No live view from app. New car has no panel gaps and frankly it seems to be put together better than the Taycan, which has three annoying rattles which I can’t seem to locate. To me, this is a totally different car.

I purchased a brand-new Model S 8 years ago and recently received an email noting the lifetime free supercharging could be transferred to a Model Y, S, or X. I inquired multiple times about a specific inventory Model Y (price adjusted) and was told yes lifetime free supercharging can be transferred. Then I placed an order and then I sent them texts once again AFTER I placed the order seeking confirmation that the lifetime free supercharging would be transferred.....once again I was told yes multiple time (see text below from Tesla store). I was ready to walk away from the $250 if the free supercharging wasn't going to be transferred.

I took delivery and signed the transfer agreement they gave me. Now seven days later after I've taken delivery Tesla phoned me asking to bring in a $4k bank draft (the price adjustment) as they are claiming that the supercharging cannot be transferred on an inventory adjusted car......the problem is I kept asking over and over again whether it could be transferred and was told yes, over and over again. I wasn't told yes, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE of the inventory adjustment.

As a relatively early customer very disappointed in how this company does business. If you aren't offering lifetime free supercharging on inventory price adjustment cars why wouldn't the sales team disclose such when specifically asked?
You have it in writing, Tesla should make good on the promise. Do you have small claims court in Canada?

Tesla sales people are not the Helpful Honda Guy. ( Is that just a SoCal thing? ) The scoreboard below is a mile from my house. The Helpful Honda Guy purchased and installed the new scoreboard.

IMG_1444.png

IMG_1446.jpeg

Last edited:
The car with a fully functioning computer is a different animal. Maybe your car is different than mine but I couldn’t use my browser. Games were hit and miss. AP1 was limited. No dash cam. No sentry. No blind spot monitoring. No live view from app. New car has no panel gaps and frankly it seems to be put together better than the Taycan, which has three annoying rattles which I can’t seem to locate. To me, this is a totally different car.

I have never opened the browser. Never played a game. Never purchased AP1 (I think it was $3k back in 2016, I spent it on the "next gen" seats). As far as sentry mode the $45k Model Y has that too. In terms of put together this is what my Model S looked like at 250,000 km ->

It's not like anything useful got better like navigation, for example. Navigation setup in my 2016 is already pretty awesome on a huge screen. 2023 upgrade is huge screen, but sideways and it tilts which I admit is cool but not double cost of Y cool. Ventilated seats, yes cool and they worked well, but problem is my 2016 already has the function where I leave the A/C running in the summer time while in a meeting so when I get back to the car seats aren't scorching hot.

Imo, the 2016 was already such a good car that it is tough to improve upon and the improvements are all relatively minor kind of like the exterior update.

I have a Cayman GTS 4.0 manual when I want to feel like a "man." Cayman suffers from the same problem Model S/Taycan suffer from in that when I go to the track my friends Toyota GR86 is 90% of the fun of the Cayman at 1/3 the cost.

Reactions: KevinT3141
For some strange reason, I feel that OP knew all along that he could not stack his discounts with FSD transfer. He kept asking the same question, and when he got the answer he wanted, thought he could skate through. Did not work well for him, and so he came to the forums to proclaim how "unfair" it was.
If I am mistaken, I appolige in in advance.

Reactions: cdswm3 and gaswalla
[/QUOTE]
For some strange reason, I feel that OP knew all along that he could not stack his discounts with FSD transfer. He kept asking the same question, and when he got the answer he wanted, thought he could skate through. Did not work well for him, and so he came to the forums to proclaim how "unfair" it was.
If I am mistaken, I appolige in in advance.

I got the same answer from day one to delivery day. In case you didn't see my update Tesla admitted wrong and gave me $1,000 credit towards service and $200 credit towards accessories.

From the screenshots you posted, I see where they talk about transferring the free lifetime supercharging. However, I don't see where they told you it would be free to transfer. Perhaps they could have been more clear, which could, in turn, be why they offered the credits?

Just transferred my free supercharging from my old S to a Plaid X before the new year. I did the same, many emails and calls about transferring and making sure it can happen, but Tesla was upfront from the beginning that discounts don't stack with FUSC.

Fine with me, took delivery of a demo to make sure i got it before year end, with 150 kms on it, and cheaper than ordering (for some reason). On delivery day, the delivery process on the app's first step was asking whether I wanted to transfer my free supercharging. Super surprised it was the first thing to do, before even proof of insurance etc, and couldn't be simpler.

Just transferred my free supercharging from my old S to a Plaid X before the new year. I did the same, many emails and calls about transferring and making sure it can happen, but Tesla was upfront from the beginning that discounts don't stack with FUSC.

Fine with me, took delivery of a demo to make sure i got it before year end, with 150 kms on it, and cheaper than ordering (for some reason). On delivery day, the delivery process on the app's first step was asking whether I wanted to transfer my free supercharging. Super surprised it was the first thing to do, before even proof of insurance etc, and couldn't be simpler.
That sounds like they gave you an exception.

The OP bought a new inventory car with $4,000 less than if buying from the design page but lost the free supercharger.

I also did the FUSC transfer to a new X and just when the payment pricing showed up in the app. I had to ping Tesla to get them to remove the loyalty discount so the transfer would happen. This was there weeks after I signed the transfer papers so why is it's the customers responsibility to remove all incentives?

Reactions: TespaceX
Another case of either to pay full price to get FUSC or give up FUSC transfer in order to keep the inventory price of $4859 cheaper than the full price.

Problem is it is what pushed me over the edge to get a new Model Y. If it wasn't for the inventory adjustment+ life time supercharging transfer I would have just kept the Model S for the time being, that I've owned for the last 8 years.

It is not the end of the world as the Model Y comes with 6 months free supercharging and maybe I can get $1,000 more for my Model S when I sell it privately if it retains the FUSC.

My frustration is either Tesla employees straight up lied to secure a sale, or don't know their own policies.

There is a reason I asked prior to ordering, after ordering but before booking delivery (they would have had the RN/VIN), and at delivery, and every time I was told yes it will be transferred no problem.

If they gave me a honest or correct answer prior to order, I wouldn't have ordered.
If they gave me a honest or correct answer prior to booking delivery time (which I delayed until I had it in writing), I wouldn't have taken delivery.
If they gave me a honest or correct answer at the delivery appointment I also wouldn't have take delivery.

Not sure what more as a consumer I can do...
I understand your pain (to an extent). Similar issue happened to me last month with FUSC ... Most Tesla employees (these days) are polite, but sloppy at best. I remember the white glove treatment and attention to detail and awesome service I received from Tesla back in 2017 when "we" were early adopters. It's a very different experience NOW-a-days. Very Different.
Demand is much higher, there's more competition in 2023/24 and customers are mostly looking for less and expecting less. It's no longer a luxury company (or touting itself to be) anymore.
Maybe consider a lawyer.

I understand your pain (to an extent). Similar issue happened to me last month with FUSC ... Most Tesla employees (these days) are polite, but sloppy at best. I remember the white glove treatment and attention to detail and awesome service I received from Tesla back in 2017 when "we" were early adopters. It's a very different experience NOW-a-days. Very Different.
Demand is much higher, there's more competition in 2023/24 and customers are mostly looking for less and expecting less. It's no longer a luxury company (or touting itself to be) anymore.
Maybe consider a lawyer.
I also remember the special treatment. When I bought my first S in August 2016 I got gifts (an umbrella, a baseball cap, a fancy pen, and a Tesla coffee mug) & all my documents were in a high quality folder embossed with TESLA on the front. When we licked up our Y last week it was a push to get us out the door quickly.

I also remember the special treatment. When I bought my first S in August 2016 I got gifts (an umbrella, a baseball cap, a fancy pen, and a Tesla coffee mug) & all my documents were in a high quality folder embossed with TESLA on the front. When we licked up our Y last week it was a push to get us out the door quickly.
Funnily enough, I don’t particularly enjoy a long drawn out “experience” when I buy or pickup a car - I want it to be as swift and simple as possible - gimme the car, let me get on with my day. I’d prefer no dead-tree paperwork, bumpf and nik-naks too. Each to their own I guess.

Reactions: msm859
Oh yeah. We got LOTS of free stuff. Free floor liners, a free Radio Flyer Model S for my kids. We were even given a vehicle to take home over the weekend after our family test-drive with the sales rep, explaining all the features. Yeah . . . the good ole days ☺️

Updated, I sold my Model S privately but it had such high mileage I don't think the fact it had free supercharging (that wasn't transferred to the Y) helped in the sale whatsoever.

Kind of sucks I wasn't able to transfer it to the Y. Given how much I got for my Model S and the fact that I was mislead on the supercharging transfer if I could go back I would have kept the Model S and just taken my chances with the battery.

Sorry but I checked the terms and see nowhere: Your new vehicle on order does not have a price adjustment."
Im in EU and want to transfer my free SC from an old S, anyone knows if in EU is valid? Thanks!

Did you check on last year's terms when this thread was created?

This year's terms are more liberal: You can combine all the discounts that you want.

Reactions: richyrich
Did you check on last year's terms when this thread was created?

This year's terms are more liberal: You can combine all the discounts that you want.
Thank you I suspected that. That’s great, however do you know if is available in EU? I got a text message on my EU cell from US CA saying I’m eligible, but I’m in EU.

Thank you I suspected that. That’s great, however do you know if is available in EU? I got a text message on my EU cell from US CA saying I’m eligible, but I’m in EU.

It's unclear.

EU owners have gotten the same offer from salespeople, but none of the offers were written in an EU policy/terms and conditions at all.

We haven't heard of any EU owner biting the bait just yet, so we have no idea whether the EU offer is good or not.

Thus, there is a repeated potential issue in this thread for unofficial offers/reassurance before sales and sticking to the official policy after sales (not allowed in the EU in any official policy at the current).

The offer needs to come from Tesla itself, and I would not trust salespeople's reassurance without it.