Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla refusing to transfer lifetime supercharging after taking delivery.....disappointing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a brand-new Model S 8 years ago and recently received an email noting the lifetime free supercharging could be transferred to a Model Y, S, or X. I inquired multiple times about a specific inventory Model Y (price adjusted) and was told yes lifetime free supercharging can be transferred. Then I placed an order and then I sent them texts once again AFTER I placed the order seeking confirmation that the lifetime free supercharging would be transferred.....once again I was told yes multiple time (see text below from Tesla store). I was ready to walk away from the $250 if the free supercharging wasn't going to be transferred.

I took delivery and signed the transfer agreement they gave me. Now seven days later after I've taken delivery Tesla phoned me asking to bring in a $4k bank draft (the price adjustment) as they are claiming that the supercharging cannot be transferred on an inventory adjusted car......the problem is I kept asking over and over again whether it could be transferred and was told yes, over and over again. I wasn't told yes, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE of the inventory adjustment.

As a relatively early customer very disappointed in how this company does business. If you aren't offering lifetime free supercharging on inventory price adjustment cars why wouldn't the sales team disclose such when specifically asked?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205_182714_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_182714_Messages.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 165
I purchased a brand-new Model S 8 years ago and recently received an email noting the lifetime free supercharging could be transferred to a Model Y, S, or X. I inquired multiple times about a specific inventory Model Y (price adjusted) and was told yes lifetime free supercharging can be transferred. Then I placed an order and then I sent them texts once again AFTER I placed the order seeking confirmation that the lifetime free supercharging would be transferred.....once again I was told yes multiple time (see text below from Tesla store). I was ready to walk away from the $250 if the free supercharging wasn't going to be transferred.

I took delivery and signed the transfer agreement they gave me. Now seven days later after I've taken delivery Tesla phoned me asking to bring in a $4k bank draft (the price adjustment) as they are claiming that the supercharging cannot be transferred on an inventory adjusted car......the problem is I kept asking over and over again whether it could be transferred and was told yes, over and over again. I wasn't told yes, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE of the inventory adjustment.

As a relatively early customer very disappointed in how this company does business. If you aren't offering lifetime free supercharging on inventory price adjustment cars why wouldn't the sales team disclose such when specifically asked?
The conditions are clear that it's not combined with any other promotions or price reduction.

Tesla is a tech company. Its app/website shouldn't allow any one who wants supercharging transfer to choose any thing but full price sxy order pages.

However, sales people just don't care because they just want sales numbers at all cost.

It's unfortunate that you were conned.

Last edited:
If the conditions are so clear you would think the Tesla employees would know them? Or at least look into it when someone is asking multiple times to confirm. I refused to book a delivery time until they confirmed yet one more time that it was going to be transferred, which they did.

They even had me sign the supercharger transfer agreement at delivery and told me it would be transferred within seven days.....then after seven days they want me to bring in a $4k bank draft....lol. That is not how to do business.

If the conditions are so clear you would think the Tesla employees would know them? Or at least look into it when someone is asking multiple times to confirm. I refused to book a delivery time until they confirmed yet one more time that it was going to be transferred, which they did.

They even had me sign the supercharger transfer agreement at delivery and told me it would be transferred within seven days.....then after seven days they want me to bring in a $4k bank draft....lol. That is not how to do business.
Remember, just because it’s Tesla, it doesn’t mean there is no salesperson.

Somehow, people think Tesla salespeople behave differently than any conventional car dealership ones.

Remember, just because it’s Tesla, it doesn’t mean there is no salesperson.

Somehow, people think Tesla salespeople behave differently than any conventional car dealership ones.

I realize that but I was literally refusing to book delivery (text attached) until they yet again confirmed it would be transferred, which they did. I felt I went above and beyond, black and white, and was completely conned. My approach was I don't fully trust the salespeople to be competent let me confirm in writing at least three times and I still got screwed.

Screenshot_20231205_200403_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: shaia8
I realize that but I was literally refusing to book delivery (text attached) until they yet again confirmed it would be transferred, which they did. I felt I went above and beyond, black and white, and was completely conned. My approach was I don't fully trust the salespeople to be competent let me confirm in writing at least three times and I still got screwed.

View attachment 996871
Yes, I am very sorry for you.

You are the victim here and you need all the support to get through this.

You have an option to report these salespeople to their supervisors, complain to the Better Business Bureau, your state Attorney General, and go through the arbitration process.

I don’t see how you would lose in any fair jury or arbitration. You were conned!

Yes, I am very sorry for you.

You are the victim here and you need all the support to get through this.

You have an option to report these salespeople to their supervisors, complain to the Better Business Bureau, your state Attorney General, and go through the arbitration process.

I don’t see how you would lose in any fair jury or arbitration. You were conned!

Big picture, it isn't the end of the world, I don't feel like a "victim" of something bad when you look at what is going on around the world....just super disappointed in the way this went down after I thought I tried my best to prevent the situation. How do you even complain to a supervisor at Tesla?

Big picture, it isn't the end of the world, I don't feel like a "victim" of something bad when you look at what is going on around the world....just super disappointed in the way this went down after I thought I tried my best to prevent the situation. How do you even complain to a supervisor at Tesla?
You can try the phone, then show up in person at a Tesla location. Or even a snail mail.

You will get nowhere within Tesla. The people you will escalate to will be lawyers, and they will favor the written legal documentation. Take emotion out of it. It sucks, but you have to stay within the official procedures. Look at the arbitration section here:
https://www.tesla.com/assets/pdf/model3_order_agreement_en_US.pdf
This lays out your steps. Since the cost is only $4k it’s likely under your states small claims limit. Take that option as it shouldn’t cost too much other than time.

To be clear, I am not a lawyer, but if you have documentation from several employees several times stating you would get the transfer for an inventory price adjusted car, this should bear significant weight. It will then be up to the judge whether the legal terms override the written employee correspondence. One thing, I don’t see in your correspondence that you specifically call out this is a price adjusted car, so that may be an issue. The person you are speaking to needs to know it’s a price adjusted car, though perhaps the RN is enough. Even then, the judge could rule either way. Consulting a real attorney for an hours consultation may be worthwhile. Consider it a “dry run”.

Curious what the original offer of SC transfer says? Does it show any terms and conditions like not combining with other offers? I know I looked very carefully at the recent Cybertruck discount email because it states explicitly that it can be combined, which is unusual.

Likely this is a mistake by an individual, not some conspiracy to rip you off or get a sale at any cost. Still annoying though. If there is nothing stated in the offer details you received I would ask to speak to a manager at the location and calmly show the evidence. They might have leeway to at least partially make it right.

Is the FUSC worth $4k to you? If not maybe just scrap it and go with the discounted vehicle?

Curious what the original offer of SC transfer says? Does it show any terms and conditions like not combining with other offers?...

Supercharging Transfers

"Your new vehicle on order does not have a price adjustment."

"Is this offer stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments?
No. This offer is not stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments."

That means Tesla should have coded the order so those who want Supercharger Transfer cannot order from other web pages except for the full-price pages.

Referrals, new inventory, demo, and used pages are a no go!

Right so seems pretty cut and dried - OP should be paying full price? Bummer that the sales person didn’t know that (I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt) but I find the Tesla central internal processes are pretty solid - stuff like this won’t “slip through” once the order is processed.

I don't see how salespeople get away with claiming ignorance: "I included the Brooklyn Bridge in your order at no extra fee, but now, after you took the delivery, I didn't know that New York is not selling that bridge! Maybe a different bridge for your next order."

At least, they must be disciplined (monetary loss to compensate the customer), suspended, or lose their license.

Curious what the original offer of SC transfer says? Does it show any terms and conditions like not combining with other offers? I know I looked very carefully at the recent Cybertruck discount email because it states explicitly that it can be combined, which is unusual.

Likely this is a mistake by an individual, not some conspiracy to rip you off or get a sale at any cost. Still annoying though. If there is nothing stated in the offer details you received I would ask to speak to a manager at the location and calmly show the evidence. They might have leeway to at least partially make it right.

Is the FUSC worth $4k to you? If not maybe just scrap it and go with the discounted vehicle?

Problem is it is what pushed me over the edge to get a new Model Y. If it wasn't for the inventory adjustment+ life time supercharging transfer I would have just kept the Model S for the time being, that I've owned for the last 8 years.

It is not the end of the world as the Model Y comes with 6 months free supercharging and maybe I can get $1,000 more for my Model S when I sell it privately if it retains the FUSC.

My frustration is either Tesla employees straight up lied to secure a sale, or don't know their own policies.

There is a reason I asked prior to ordering, after ordering but before booking delivery (they would have had the RN/VIN), and at delivery, and every time I was told yes it will be transferred no problem.

If they gave me a honest or correct answer prior to order, I wouldn't have ordered.
If they gave me a honest or correct answer prior to booking delivery time (which I delayed until I had it in writing), I wouldn't have taken delivery.
If they gave me a honest or correct answer at the delivery appointment I also wouldn't have take delivery.

Not sure what more as a consumer I can do...

“I don't see how salespeople get away with claiming ignorance: "I included the Brooklyn Bridge in your order at no extra fee, but now, after you took the delivery, I didn't know that New York is not selling that bridge! Maybe a different bridge for your next order."

Technically, the OP had all the information and pleaded ignorance, despite having the rules of no discounts allowed - provided by Tesla upfront and in writing