Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla refusing to transfer lifetime supercharging after taking delivery.....disappointing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“I don't see how salespeople get away with claiming ignorance: "I included the Brooklyn Bridge in your order at no extra fee, but now, after you took the delivery, I didn't know that New York is not selling that bridge! Maybe a different bridge for your next order."

Technically, the OP had all the information and pleaded ignorance, despite having the rules of no discounts allowed - provided by Tesla upfront and in writing
As someone above said, Tesla is a tech company. It should be easy for them to confirm if a particular vehicle qualifies for this offer. Their agents told this person it qualifies. Tesla should get their act together or pay for the "mistake".

This is BS. They should honour their promise to you. Like you, I’ve been a Tesla owner for about 7 years and the part about the company that just amazes me is how poorly they treat their customers (even the most loyal ones). I’ve been promised the same as you and I have been waiting on the delivery of my new S since early September. They’ve even told me if my new S isn’t delivered by December 31, they’ll still honour the free supercharging transfer, which tells me it’s probably BS.

Maybe its different in Canada, but in the US, the sales agreements for vehicles usually include specific terms that "only the terms of this agreement are valid" and wording that verbal agreements are not enforceable.

Now, the "right" thing to do from Tesla would be to, after verifying that the employee did say what the OP says they said, to honor it. Perhaps I missed it, but the text thread posted by the OP did not seem to say that at all, it just said "order now".

Still, the "right thing" for the customer would be for them to do this, but the problem is the precedent. The OPs story is already here, and if Tesla does this at all, it sets a precedent that they should do it for everyone.

Marko ,there is a bit confusion there.
Tesla dropped price of model y few weeks ago.About $4,000.00 well that is not adjustment if you start your application after that adjustement.
Regarding demo ,you should just save on inspection cost.Because inspection not neede again to be done .If demo has very low milage below 1,000 than its not significant price adjustement.
Mistake of sales pearson is that thay didnt know how to blend in demo discount with inspection fee and new price adjustement.
On the invoice should be showing new discounted price minus insentives from gouverment and minus your application deposit that is all.No additional adjustements.

Than they should ask you to sign form for transfering supercharger from one VIN number to new VIN number 2023 model y.
Whole process is very fast if you dealing with right ppl.
After that schedule delivery and that is it.

We have some ppl they got charged twice or more time same deposit for application for buying new tesla.
Bank suggests to check first with tesla to refund money due to glitch processing payment,and if they not respond than bank will dispute that unautorized charge on you behalf.
So just to be easy on you,you are not only one who got isdues with tesla sales.

Regarding referal for you buying new 2023 model y I was told you cant have it because tesla will issue automatically to you LOYALTY CREDIT because you own 2 tesla car.

So 10 000 credits bonus should be on your account by now.

Just small info if can hlp you buddy.

Supercharging Transfers

"Your new vehicle on order does not have a price adjustment."

"Is this offer stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments?
No. This offer is not stackable with Refer and Earn benefits or existing price adjustments."

That means Tesla should have coded the order so those who want Supercharger Transfer cannot order from other web pages except for the full-price pages.

Referrals, new inventory, demo, and used pages are a no go!
Sorry but its not true ,friend told me you can get even demo qualify for supercharging transfer.only inventory that some tesla dealers dropping price below avarage market price of model y will be not eligible for free transfer.

If the agent is acting on Tesla's behalf, then the onus is on their side to corroborate the deal prior to the final agreement. If, as it turns out, Tesla refuses to stand behind their agent's decision/error, then Tesla either needs to honour the agreement or at least allow the buyer to back out without any penalties and reimburse the buyer for costs they've incurred as a direct result of these errors.

How Tesla deals with the agent is an internal issue but this is not a good way of dealing with customers.

Good luck to you, but you based your information on an email Tesla sent, which at least in my version says "Cannot be combined with other inventory or sales offers". When you asked follow-ups, did you ask specifically about transfering with the $4K discount in place? If you asked this and they still said yes then by all means bring that evidence. If not then it will be hard to prove that they knew they were answering this particular question, which I expect would have prompted further investigation on their part.

They should not have let you take delivery without the extra $4K, that's certainly bad form on the part of the delivery team.

Reactions: gaswalla
I think you are right always tesla rep will be more credible but depends of dealership and circumstances.

I think rep should be explaining details before closing deals.

That is why we have OMVIC to act sometimes on consumers side if there is any dispute.
Its a lot of hassle .

Updated, Tesla ended up giving me $1,000 towards servicing the Model Y in the future and a $200 credit for accessories. It is what it is. I figure I can sell the Model S for maybe a tad more and also the Y came with 6 months free supercharging under a different promotion.

I realize that but I was literally refusing to book delivery (text attached) until they yet again confirmed it would be transferred, which they did. I felt I went above and beyond, black and white, and was completely conned. My approach was I don't fully trust the salespeople to be competent let me confirm in writing at least three times and I still got screwed.

View attachment 996871
Yeah I would just pay the 4k. They made it pretty clear that the transfer can’t be combined with other discounts. The replies from Tesla seemed to avoid the SC transfer topic, even though you specifically asked for reassurance. I went through many emails trying to get reassurance before I took possession of my plaid. I went ahead and took possession. Nothing happened for over a month and sent numerous messages saying that something was amiss. Direct answering of my SC questions were avoided. Then they just stopped replying. I called them yesterday and within minutes a different agent read through the messages,agreed that it did not go through and I was not in the queue.He found the issue, fixed it and personally called to tell me. I looked on my app saw “free supercharging “. I just got back from SC … no charge! They are strict with the rules. No grey area and are careful in their replies to not go out on a limb. They occasionally make mistakes and it’s not easy to correct them. I finally talked to the right person who was willing to go the extra mile. It turns out when I initially sent the form, I didn’t include the new VIN ( since I had not been assigned a vin yet). Later I sent a new form with the old and the new VIN. The new form slipped through the cracks (not forwarded to those that make the changes). I was able to re-forward the updated form with the 2 VINs proving it was signed and sent pre-delivery. I honestly think if I hadn’t been able to do that, they would not have done the transfer without arbitration

Yeah I would just pay the 4k.

It makes no sense to pay the $4k. First of all, it comes with 6 months free supercharging to start. Second of all, I can sell my Model S probably for $500 to $1,500 more with free supercharging, in theory. I simply don't use supercharging enough to pay back $5k+. Taking 5k and putting it into a dividend paying stock just the dividends would cover the cost of supercharging.

In fairness to Tesla, I got my new Model S and they transferred the lifetime supercharging and my new S is a real beauty.

I drove the new 2023 Model S for an hour and I was simply disappointed on two fronts

i. Delta difference between my 2016 Model S and the 2023 Model S was small, imo. For example, the steering wheel felt cheap compared to my 2016. The big advantage of the 2023 is huge range and acceleration, both of which I don't need. I drive more than 99% of people, but even with my 70d down to 330km @ 100% it is completely fine for me as I charge at home at night.

ii. Delta difference between 2023 Model Y and 2023 Model S. Yes, the Model S is better but the Model Y was $45k ($4k inventory discount, plus $8k rebates) is like 90% of the car of the Model S, but for less than 1/2 the price.

I also live in VIctoria so while the AWD on my 70D was nice, you don't really need AWD in Victoria so the 45k Model Y is completely adequate.

I drove the new 2023 Model S for an hour and I was simply disappointed on two fronts

i. Delta difference between my 2016 Model S and the 2023 Model S was small, imo. For example, the steering wheel felt cheap compared to my 2016. The big advantage of the 2023 is huge range and acceleration, both of which I don't need. I drive more than 99% of people, but even with my 70d down to 330km @ 100% it is completely fine for me as I charge at home at night.

ii. Delta difference between 2023 Model Y and 2023 Model S. Yes, the Model S is better but the Model Y was $45k ($4k inventory discount, plus $8k rebates) is like 90% of the car of the Model S, but for less than 1/2 the price.

I also live in VIctoria so while the AWD on my 70D was nice, you don't really need AWD in Victoria so the 45k Model Y is completely adequate.
My experience is the exact opposite. I’ve written about it in another thread so I won’t get into all the differences and improvements but it is a night and day difference IMO. Not to mention my 2023 was considerably less money than my 90D.

In terms of the comparison with the Y…I test drove the Y with my wife (because it would have been for her). I didn’t like it at all. Felt cheap, too plain and I’m not an SUV person. I know they are ultra popular but I view them as a women’s vehicles, just not my jam. My wife was driving an RX350 and the Y felt like a big downgrade.

i. Delta difference between my 2016 Model S and the 2023 Model S was small, imo.

ii. Delta difference between 2023 Model Y and 2023 Model S. Yes, the Model S is better but the Model Y was $45k ($4k inventory discount, plus $8k rebates)
Vast diff between my 2018 S and new 2023 Model S besides being significantly quieter. Improved air suspension, Super Duper torque. Superior audio, many other features, search other threads.

I drove the Y before making my choice and though the Y may be offered at near 60% of the Model S price IMHO you get what you pay for certainly in build quality and ride.
…is like 90% of the car of the Model S, but for less than 1/2 the price.

😂

Reactions: Struja
My 2016 Model S is worth maybe $25,000? The 2023 is 100k+tax. I would expect for that kind of jump to be impressed and I wasn't. Leather is better in my 2016, steering wheel doesn't feel cheap in the 2016, opening roof which I use 6 months of the year in Victoria.

All the points you listed such as improved air suspension are pretty minor given the context (8 years newer). As I said range is insane and so is acceleration problem is I can't use the acceleration/speed where I live. Max speed on highways is 90 km/h around Victoria. I think the biggest problem is the two things the 2023 really accels at (range and acceleration) I 100% don't need either.

I think the problem these days is cheap cars starting with a Mazda3, for example, are so good that there is such a small delta different going up in price.

My first car was a 1991 Integra and then my second car was a 2008 Honda Civic and I remember that being a huge jump in terms of going from no AC to AC, going from crank windows to power windows.

Then I went to a 2012 Honda Civic and then to the 2016 Tesla and the Civic to Tesla I felt was a huge jump.

Now we are talking about "quieter" from a 45k to a 100k car and the 45k is already quite quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141
My experience is the exact opposite. I’ve written about it in another thread so I won’t get into all the differences and improvements but it is a night and day difference IMO. Not to mention my 2023 was considerably less money than my 90D.

In terms of the comparison with the Y…I test drove the Y with my wife (because it would have been for her). I didn’t like it at all. Felt cheap, too plain and I’m not an SUV person. I know they are ultra popular but I view them as a women’s vehicles, just not my jam. My wife was driving an RX350 and the Y felt like a big downgrade.

I read your other thread and yea completely different experience. I've also driven the Taycan lots when my Cayman 4.0 was in the shop and same thing wasn't blown away with different between my 25k used Model S and 150k Taycan. I went to look at the Etron GT as they are doing 30k+ off MSRP right now and are the Model S, Taycan, Etron GT good? Yes they are but you are pretty much paying for exclusivity given how good the Model 3/Y are. I have no issues driving a "women's car."

There is a reason I paid 110k in 2016 and the 2023 is 99k with double the range. The demand simply isn't there as most people are buying the cheaper options and it is not always budget related, but value proposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141