Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Year Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been alluded to in other threads that quality control during end of quarter and end of year pushes is less than at other times of the year.

I have been building a custom S for several days now watching that the Nov - Dec delivery date displays allowing me to transfer FUSC from my 17 S.

I have continued to delay as I want the FUSC transfer promo and a 2024 VIN. I feel I have to beat the day the tesla site shows Dec - Jan or Jan - Feb for MSPs to up the odds of a 2024 VIN.

However if I ordered tonight, knowing that tesla-info shows no color and feature matches right now anywhere in the US, there seems a strong possibility the vehicle would be built in early Dec. I haven't seen a drone video of Fremont lately showing a bunch of MS or MSPs stockpiled thus the build date hope.

Are the rumors of lower quality control at end of quarter and end of year convienent blame recipients or is there really something to it?

I want the FUSC transfer plus the 2024 VIN but being a picky buyer also want a vehicle that stays with me as it's of decent quality and not in the service center or paint shop like stories on this site are told.

Thoughts?

I picked up my Model 3 on December 29th 2020 fresh off the truck from Fremont. I don't know its exact build date, but it was perfect.

I think the quality issues arise from production ramp-up... that is, an increase in output quantity. And the quality issues persist until they're tweaked... e.g. a robotic arm is 4mm off and so every vehicle it assembles has bad panel gaps, but once that's fixed the vehicles start rolling off perfect.

As long as they're not increasing the production rate, the quality should remain constant. Since the S/X are unlikely to be experiencing a production ramp, neither are they likely to be experiencing new quality issues.

Everything I've stated above is just my assumption of how this works, so I'll be happy to have someone correct where I'm wrong.

There isn't some dial that they just turn to increase output though, and when they crank it high, the cars start coming out with quality issues until they turn it down again at the beginning of the next quarter. It doesn't work like that.

Reactions: calm-one and dsm363
It has been alluded to in other threads that quality control during end of quarter and end of year pushes is less than at other times of the year.

I have been building a custom S for several days now watching that the Nov - Dec delivery date displays allowing me to transfer FUSC from my 17 S.

I have continued to delay as I want the FUSC transfer promo and a 2024 VIN. I feel I have to beat the day the tesla site shows Dec - Jan or Jan - Feb for MSPs to up the odds of a 2024 VIN.

However if I ordered tonight, knowing that tesla-info shows no color and feature matches right now anywhere in the US, there seems a strong possibility the vehicle would be built in early Dec. I haven't seen a drone video of Fremont lately showing a bunch of MS or MSPs stockpiled thus the build date hope.

Are the rumors of lower quality control at end of quarter and end of year convienent blame recipients or is there really something to it?

I want the FUSC transfer plus the 2024 VIN but being a picky buyer also want a vehicle that stays with me as it's of decent quality and not in the service center or paint shop like stories on this site are told.

Thoughts?
You really want to place an order now. If that delivery window slips to January then you can’t transfer supercharging. 2024 VIN is really symbolic unless it comes with drastically different features. But you also might not be able to transfer your supercharging.

I doubt the quality difference between December 30th and January 2nd for example, is that drastically different. You can only get a car and hope for the overall best quality.

There are a few exceptions to taking delivery in 2024 and getting your FUSC transferred.

Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 7.17.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363

Thoughts?
Several years ago, I thought I could get the next year by ordering late, but was told that it would be the year built, ie 2023. Jan 1, 2024 builds starts 2024. I am trying to decide if I want to get a 2023 replacing my S2018DL with FREE Supercharging anew ' an S' 2023

Several years ago, I thought I could get the next year by ordering late, but was told that it would be the year built, ie 2023. Jan 1, 2024 builds starts 2024. I am trying to decide if I want to get a 2023 replacing my S2018DL with FREE Supercharging anew ' an S' 2023

The new VINs in the last few years were issued in Nov. I don't believe you were told the truth. If you are getting this from a Tesla SA, remember that stands for Seldom Accurate.

I'd rather get a '23 than a '24 with delivery issues.

JMO.

Reactions: teko
Tesla quality is what it always has been - variable. There is no credible evidence to suggest that late quarter cars are somehow "worse".

Just order what you want when you want it and hope for the best.

Agreed with order when you want/need it. And if it don't meet spec, you should reject!

I'd say that Service is def worse at those late quarter times, at least on CA. So if you take delivery with an issue, will take longer to fix.

Reactions: ucmndd

Thoughts?
So I tried to time this placing my order this past Monday as it was still showing Nov-Dev estimated delivery for Model S orders.

Sure enough Model S orders as of yesterday (Tue) is now showing Dec-Jan instead of Nov-Dec.

Here is to hoping for a 2024 VIN and an awesome vibration free, panel aligned, no paint chips and/or otherwise cursed delivery.

tesla-info is still showing no other vehicle like my order here in the US. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: aerodyne and Dayreg
I picked up my car a week ago. Only quality issues I could identify were a panel gap between the trunk and quarter panel that was too large on the driver side (fixed prior to me accepting the car) and loose sound insulation in front of the firewall (apparently this happens to literally all of them).

Otherwise all other gaps seem even, interior fit and finish seems fine, no seat wrinkles etc. no major creeks, rattles, vibrations. Road noise seems acceptable, barely louder at 100 mph vs 70 (and far quieter than my model 3).