Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car design is on the wrong track?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been doing so many things right, it pains me to zero in on something pretty basic that I think they've been doing badly, or maybe I should say erratically. I'm referring to vehicle design.

I don't mean styling. All credit to Franz. He's done fantastic work with the basic vehicle concepts and platforms that he's been given. The new Roadster in particular is a beauty that can stand up with the classics IMHO. I'm not sure who designed the Semi, but I think it's perfect too. However. . .

Tesla product design has been hit-or-miss. Hits: Model S. Model 3. Model Y. Semi. Misses: Model X. New Roadster. Cybertruck.

The over-engineered Model X was notoriously expensive to produce, when a taller Model S (with conventional doors!) would have been Just Fine. Anecdotally, it was other board members who prevailed on Musk to get the Model Y designed as a taller Model 3 (with a hatch!) instead of a heavily re-engineered and more ambitious vehicle. I think sales numbers will show that reigning in Elon's excesses was the right move for the Y.

The new Roadster is a beauty, but IMO its specifications are too ambitious, and that's one factor (among several) that I believe has delayed and delayed its production. Even when it eventually gets built, I think it's going to be too expensive, too heavy, and too "gadgety" for a lot of real sports car lovers, include many who adore the original Roadster's simplicity and purity. I think the Lotus Type 135 will be closer to what many of us wanted, and it might even hit the market first too.

And now we have the Cybertruck. I'm not going to gripe about its looks, because have you seen current production Ford and GM and Ram pickups? I mean, yeesh, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! None of these are beauty queens. My problem is that the Cybertruck follows the Elon Musk pattern of more-and-bigger everything, and one-upmanship. In the case of pickup trucks, the other companies have already gone there. Their products are monstrosities, largely because CAFE rules in the USA incentivize huge trucks. But those CAFE rules don't apply to EVs! This was a perfect opportunity to create a new category of vehicle, to zig where other companies zagged.

Tesla instead could have done a small pickup truck like we used to see popular in the 1980s, but which Ford and GM and Ram can't produce today (in ICE form) because the CAFE formula would kill them. Tesla could have had that category all to themselves instead of creating a mostrosity to go head-to-head against the F-150 monstrosity.

And the moment came when I realized that I don't have a lot of faith in Tesla's future product plans. It seems like new models are slow to appear, and each one is going to be a roll of the dice. I trust they're going to continue to have advantage in certain areas, like software integration and energy efficiency. But overall design concept? I'm uneasy about that, to say the least.

47672278811_8931124a37_b (1).jpg

"The Rear of the Tesla Roadster 2.0" by jurvetson is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

At this point Elon is an albatross around Tesla's neck. He makes but rarely keeps customer promises, ruins the cars by yanking out tried and true technology in favor of saving a couple of bucks and disabling key features in the bargain, is totally enamored with what's left of Twitter (which was never good, btw) since he sank $42B into it, is saying and doing things unrelated to Tesla or SpaceX that are borderline insane and definitely cause customers like us to hold our noses as we buy our car. We bought in spite of him. He's the polar opposite of a halo for the brand. Tesla's board would be wise to get rid of him if they could, the same way PayPal dumped him when he tried to rename that company to "X."

It does seem that with that with the Cybertruck, Tesla has forgotten the lesson they said they learned with the Model X.
This.
Truck would be on the road by now if they chose a more simple, tried and true design.
That would align with the mission more than having four years between announcing and initial production.
Subsequently then you can release a 'cybertruck' either as a niche vehicle for $$$, or mass market if felt need was there.
Tesla needs to reign in expectations and have much shorter time frame between announcing production vehicles and having them start production. This would avoid a lot of negative press as well as irritated potential customers.

Little less of a dictatorship and more democracy
Probably more like Apple runs and looks like
Apple is not the model if you want innovation. Apple has not come out with a single new product since Steve died. Tim is running the company extremely well, but there is zero vision.

My point was to split the difference. Have someone competent doing operations that can ensure customers have a good experience. Then have Elon as an evangelist with his crazy ideas to keep pushing the company forward. Steve Jobs had plenty of product failures at Apple along with the successes.

Reactions: DrChaos
Apple has not come out with a single new product since Steve died.
Steve was a visionary for sure, but this narrative that Apple has done nothing since his death is just patently false.

-Larger screened phones which Jobs had been famously against
-Apple Watch has become ubiquitous.
-AirPods have completely changed the headphone market.
-Apple Pencil with the iPad has become the default platform for digital artists.
-Apple Silicon has become the one to beat in performance and efficiency for most consumer electronics.

Innovation is great to do something better than it’s been done before, but once you have a mature product then the task becomes refining and optimizing instead of reinventing just for the sake of reinventing. Sometimes you end up making a product worse by trying to reinvent it rather than refining it.

There’s nothing the Cybertruck does better due to its design versus a more “traditionally” shaped truck.

Except there's like 2 mil pre-orders...
How do we even know this? Tesla never confirmed how many reservations there are. It’s just some fan site basically making a guess.

Tons of people pre-ordered the Model 3 because of the promise of a $30k car. Of course that never happened and a lot of people cancelled.

I would bet a ton of people pre-ordered the CT because of the promise of a $40k version, which was cheaper than the cheapest Model 3 at the time of CT pre-orders opening. The real pricing will be nowhere near $40k and most people will cancel.

This.
Truck would be on the road by now if they chose a more simple, tried and true design.
That would align with the mission more than having four years between announcing and initial production.
Subsequently then you can release a 'cybertruck' either as a niche vehicle for $$$, or mass market if felt need was there.
Tesla needs to reign in expectations and have much shorter time frame between announcing production vehicles and having them start production. This would avoid a lot of negative press as well as irritated potential customers.
If it was so easy to make a more simple design, then why is ford canceling dealer stock with their electric truck noted it's undergoing additional quality checks?

If it was so easy to make a more simple design, then why is ford canceling dealer stock with their electric truck noted it's undergoing additional quality checks?
And thats for a traditional PU body
Imagine
Ford and others having challenges with the E part of their EVs
Tesla is only having challenges with the stainless body panels of the CT, seems Teslas problems will be easier to fix

Guys, I like the CT, don’t shame me for that
Why do you feel so polarized by it?
It’s just something new
That Cybertruck is ugly as sin. When I saw that it also has a yoke and stalkless design well that was the end for me.

I like driving Tesla vehicles, I really do. I have bought 4 of them over the years, two of them are in the garage right now and no gas guzzlers at this house.

Also would really like to own an electric pickup. Just waiting to see who is the first to deliver one with an NACS charge port.