Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range extender connector contemplations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I think we should acknowledge that the range extender exists in nothing but a graphic created in a Tesla design studio desk. In fact, I do wonder if it was thought of in just the last few weeks before the reveal, as the range was not what they had promised. I understand they don't plan to even ship until the end of next year, so, probably no design yet. Perhaps with this discussion we can help them make some decisions!

Simplest option. Have a 240 volt output that connects, via the on board 240 plug, to the charger. That is already acknowledged to provide bidirectional charging. Can it be used while driving? Can it only be used when we stop (to charge the battery)? Certainly the current transfer rate will be relatively slow so it will have to be active at any time the vehicle battery is less than whatever the maximum setting is. Even then, it might not keep up when one is pulling a heavy enough, or aerodynamically challenging enough, trailer.

Best option. Have a dedicated connection that links directly to the high voltage battery. This would allow the greatest transfer with the least amount of trouble. It will still require sophisticated circuitry to ensure that one doesn't get a gigantic arc when connecting the two batteries together. So, in that sense it's not as good as the simpler method above, since it requires creating more circuitry. This would also seem to be the method that would make it most likely to be able to use this range extender pack as a substitute power wall. Or at least in conjunction with some existing power walls.

Horrific option. Have a cable that runs from the battery to the charge port connector. Maybe even use the portable charge connector to do this. Clearly this would make for some interesting difficulties while driving, but might still work. Certainly hope they don't go this way!

What am I missing? Do you think Tesla has even thought this far yet? Certainly seems like a rushed solution. Although, I actually think it's a good one. Especially if they devise a way for us to easily use it for backup power for the home, when we don't need it in the vehicle. It could even be made with cheaper LFP batteries.

First I think we should acknowledge that the range extender exists in nothing but a graphic created in a Tesla design studio desk. In fact, I do wonder if it was thought of in just the last few weeks before the reveal, as the range was not what they had promised. I understand they don't plan to even ship until the end of next year, so, probably no design yet. Perhaps with this discussion we can help them make some decisions!

Simplest option. Have a 240 volt output that connects, via the on board 240 plug, to the charger. That is already acknowledged to provide bidirectional charging. Can it be used while driving? Can it only be used when we stop (to charge the battery)? Certainly the current transfer rate will be relatively slow so it will have to be active at any time the vehicle battery is less than whatever the maximum setting is. Even then, it might not keep up when one is pulling a heavy enough, or aerodynamically challenging enough, trailer.

Best option. Have a dedicated connection that links directly to the high voltage battery. This would allow the greatest transfer with the least amount of trouble. It will still require sophisticated circuitry to ensure that one doesn't get a gigantic arc when connecting the two batteries together. So, in that sense it's not as good as the simpler method above, since it requires creating more circuitry. This would also seem to be the method that would make it most likely to be able to use this range extender pack as a substitute power wall. Or at least in conjunction with some existing power walls.

Horrific option. Have a cable that runs from the battery to the charge port connector. Maybe even use the portable charge connector to do this. Clearly this would make for some interesting difficulties while driving, but might still work. Certainly hope they don't go this way!

What am I missing? Do you think Tesla has even thought this far yet? Certainly seems like a rushed solution. Although, I actually think it's a good one. Especially if they devise a way for us to easily use it for backup power for the home, when we don't need it in the vehicle. It could even be made with cheaper LFP batteries.
If you thought of all that in a few minutes, imagine what the Tesla engineering staff could do. 🤔

I would imagine that full time desire for a range extender will be relative rare.
Who wants to give up all that bed storage and carry around an extra +/- 700 lbs all the time.
Imagine it might be something you can rent on the rare occasion when you absolutely need the extra range.
Maybe if you are going camping in the boonies, need to power a worksite, or something like that.

Reactions: mspohr
I will go out on a Limb and say that the cost to add the range extender after delivery would be a lot more expensive than having the range extender when the Truck is built. It may not even be possible to install the range extender after the Truck is built.

I dislike the whole idea of the extender. Today, it's vapor-hardware and a placeholder to make-true some lofty 400+ mile goals spoken by Musk back in 2019. The AWD/Beast range specs match my model Y's. This leads me to believe that tne short lived 4680 MY was a testbed for the CT. 400/800 architecture being the differentiator.

Word is the pack will cost $16k, and be factory installed. Forget about it being "removeable". Plus, the $7.5k tax rebate is out the window.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
CT bed is 4x6. Tesla states the extender pack will take up 1/3 of that...4x4 usable?

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
I dislike the whole idea of the extender. Today, it's vapor-hardware and a placeholder to make-true some lofty 400+ mile goals spoken by Musk back in 2019. The AWD/Beast range specs match my model Y's. This leads me to believe that tne short lived 4680 MY was a testbed for the CT. 400/800 architecture being the differentiator.

Word is the pack will cost $16k, and be factory installed. Forget about it being "removeable". Plus, the $7.5k tax rebate is out the window.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
CT bed is 4x6. Tesla states the extender pack will take up 1/3 of that...4x4 usable?

Who is that says it will cost 16K and not be removable? Really don't think even Tesla has decided the configuration yet, so how could anyone else know?

As to the size, it may be lifted up from the bed floor being in abbreviated full-length bed. But I think it more likely to be attached to the floor with room above it. At least that's what the pictures look like. Then again, I don't think those are anything but graphics created by an artist who has no idea as to the engineering. So, we'll have to wait to see.

Last, I actually think this is a great idea. Particularly if it can indeed be used for home use when not installed in a vehicle. Lots to wait and see!

Who is that says it will cost 16K and not be removable? Really don't think even Tesla has decided the configuration yet, so how could anyone else know?

As to the size, it may be lifted up from the bed floor being in abbreviated full-length bed. But I think it more likely to be attached to the floor with room above it. At least that's what the pictures look like. Then again, I don't think those are anything but graphics created by an artist who has no idea as to the engineering. So, we'll have to wait to see.

Last, I actually think this is a great idea. Particularly if it can indeed be used for home use when not installed in a vehicle. Lots to wait and see!

This Guy...
Marques Brownlee. He test drove the RC trucks and knows more than any one of us.

I'm one that would need the extender for daily use, if they are selling trucks now, albeit slowly, and the extender option is not yet available, what happens if one gets a delivery notice now and needs the extender, can they add it later on?

They MIGHT be able to add it later on. But from what I've seen, if there's a feature you need from Tesla, it's best to not purchase anything until that feature is shipping. Last-minute changes and cancellations are common.

As far out as the "expected" ship date is for the range extender, I would definitely not count on it working with early trucks. They may not have even begun the engineering yet.

It will be an inductive current transfer. No need for a factory installation, or a hard wired connection. Just slide it out, plug it into an outlet to charge, and slide it back in place when it's needed! Just make sure led turns green. /JK

(But seriously, I doubt this will actually come to market.)

It will be an inductive current transfer. No need for a factory installation, or a hard wired connection. Just slide it out, plug it into an outlet to charge, and slide it back in place when it's needed! Just make sure led turns green. /JK

(But seriously, I doubt this will actually come to market.)

What about cooling? All Tesla battery packs are liquid cooled - monitored by VCFront's coolant flow sensors and temp sensors, etc.

I can't imagine that Tesla would allow a DIY home mechanic that owns nothing but a screwdriver set to open up the coolant loop and electronic sensor loop of the CT.

There is no way that's a self-install exercise that wouldn't violate some warranty policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
What about cooling? All Tesla battery packs are liquid cooled - monitored by VCFront's coolant flow sensors and temp sensors, etc.

I can't imagine that Tesla would allow a DIY home mechanic that owns nothing but a screwdriver set to open up the coolant loop and electronic sensor loop of the CT.

There is no way that's a self-install exercise that wouldn't violate some warranty policy.
Why wouldn't the range extender be self-contained like a Powerwall?