Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Connector, ABC, and allowed charging times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner and loving it so far.

I use a Tesla Wall Connector for home charging. I am also on a time of use plan with my utility provider. I configured the Wall Connector to only allow charging during off peak hours which are 11pm-7am. I have read a lot about the Always Be Charging philosophy in several different Tesla forums but I am wondering if the Wall Connector configuration is interfering with that. I have noticed that typically after charging is complete, and the car stays plugged in, it will still phantom drain 1 or 2%. Same with when I leave it plugged in during the day, it will phantom drain. My understanding is that the HV battery would not be used when the vehicle is plugged in and it would instead use the power from the wall connector (not to charge but rather to save battery cycles).

Is it beneficial to remove the charging time restrictions from the Wall Connector and schedule off peak charging through the vehicle instead?

The car's SoC rarely matches the target when I charge in the Winter. It's normal.

I would schedule off-peak charging through the vehicle instead, it's easier to manage and easier to charge anytime you want if need be. Then the wall connector can never say "no" to a charging request.

I have read a lot about the Always Be Charging philosophy in several different Tesla forums but I am wondering if the Wall Connector configuration is interfering with that.
Then you're misunderstanding what that philosophy is about. It's not for technical reasons or battery maintenance or life cycles. It's about making practical beneficial use of the idle time when the car is sitting doing nothing so that it doesn't become a time wasting errand for you to have to spend your own personal time to go to a charging station to "fill up".

it will still phantom drain 1 or 2%. Same with when I leave it plugged in during the day, it will phantom drain. My understanding is that the HV battery would not be used when the vehicle is plugged in and it would instead use the power from the wall connector
That's a safety consideration of why it wouldn't do that. Charge when you need to charge, but then cut if off, so it doesn't leave 240V energized throughout the cord 24 hours a day doing meaningless trickle charging of some insignificant amount.

Is it beneficial to remove the charging time restrictions from the Wall Connector and schedule off peak charging through the vehicle instead?
That wouldn't save anything. The only thing that would do is remove some capability. With the wall connector, you get to define both the start and end times of your off peak window. The car only lets you choose one or the other.

I have noticed that typically after charging is complete, and the car stays plugged in, it will still phantom drain 1 or 2%. Same with when I leave it plugged in during the day, it will phantom drain.
Functioning as designed. After charging is complete, the car instructs the charging station to disconnect power. Standby loads draw from the 12V (or 16V on newer cars) battery which is periodically charged from the HV battery. After the HV battery drops ~3% below the charge set point, the car will turn AC power back on and top offthe HV battery.

You likely have Sentry and/or cabin overheat protection enabled at home. These features keep the car awake and cause the drain you're experiencing. Only you can know how important it is to keep them on at home. If you turn them off at home, then the drain will go almost to zero. If you really want or need them on, it really doesn't matter whether you power them from the wall or the battery as long as you have enough power for your driving needs.