Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.8 shafted with FSD trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers who were on 2024.8.x never received any updates in April bringing FSD from 11 to 12?

I was seriously thinking about purchasing FSD with the price drop.

Missing out on the free trial has made me disappointed with how Tesla has handled this whole FSD 12 rollout and the free trial.

I have no idea why it would be so difficult to push FSD 12 to the 2024.8 branch.

Seems par for the course with Tesla.

I am also very disappointed in Tesla. I haven't received the update either. Still on v11.1. My lease is ending in September and now I'm looking elsewhere. Until now, I was absolutely certain on another Tesla MY. I am re thinking my choices.
You’re rethinking your choices because you didn’t get FSD v12 yet? If that’s the biggest problem you’ve had during your Tesla ownership, consider yourself very lucky. 🙂

You’re rethinking your choices because you didn’t get FSD v12 yet? If that’s the biggest problem you’ve had during your Tesla ownership, consider yourself very lucky. 🙂

The only reason this may be OP's biggest problem during tesla ownership, is that OP hasn't been paying attention and doesn't understand a lot about their tesla (i.e. the V11.1 they say they have is the UI version, not the FSD version as 2024.8.x has FSD V11.4.9.)

What they do understand is that lord elon told the world they would receive V12 and a free trial. And then lord elon told the investor call that all NA FSD capable cars had the free trial of V12 and, on top of that, the engineer who was tweeting when the NA 2024.8.X stream would get V12 quit and 10% of the staff was laid off.

By blowing hot air, again, lord elon had OP paying attention. Now they'll start to observe dozens of other reasons why lord elon has let them down. Reduction in the usability of TACC and wipers are the first two that pop into mind for me. In the rush to remove the label Beta from FSD, lord elon has ignored the fact that our cars still have beta auto wipers and beta cruise control. Features other manufacturers perfected years/decades ago.

If this was the grand plan to turn everyone into his fanboys, lord elon failed spectacularly and has highlighted to ~15% of NA owners that he is full of hot air and doesn't deliver.

OP is still way smarter than me. I paid $$$$$ for FSD. So that's a problem OP doesn't have.

If this was the grand plan to turn everyone into his fanboys, lord elon failed spectacularly and has highlighted to ~15% of NA owners that he is full of hot air and doesn't deliver.
There are a lot more issues with Tesla besides FSD.

I do not want to get into it but when I purchased my Model Y it was the only SUV electric style vehicle which had a reliable charging network.

There were other reasons but all the advantages/reasons for purchasing a Tesla is slowly going away.

I’m just annoyed I never got the free trial. It would have been nice to know what the hold up is with releasing FSD 12 to the 2024.8 branch.

Reactions: CaptUAL and KArnold
There are a lot more issues with Tesla besides FSD.

I do not want to get into it but when I purchased my Model Y it was the only SUV electric style vehicle which had a reliable charging network

Buying a tesla was a no-brainer since I waited less than 3 weeks for mine (vs 18+ months for the original car on my list), plus the charging network, plus that fact that my husband always wanted a tesla, plus the fact that (I thought) it would fit all my criteria for a vehicle. It was Sept 2020, our city didn't have a sales floor (even if I could have test driven at that time, I don't know if our shutdown restrictions allowed for that) so we bought it having viewed another owner's car from 3' away and never sitting in one, let alone driving one, and picked it up without having anyone demo the car to us.

I completely missed that it didn't have blind spot cameras (it does now). Coming from a car with no auto wipers, until 2023 the wipers seemed great but OTA updates can give (blind spot) and take-away (radar and auto wipers.)

My list of reasons to hate teslas is long but, because I paid for FSD, I do have V12.3.3 (and could have V12.3.6 but I'm waiting for a real reason to update, not incremental) and I will say that when you get access to it (and you will; patience my friend), you will be surprised at how good it is especially if you ever experienced any older version of FSD.

With each new FSD release we would enable it, try it, and disengage the moment it failed for us and use that to define where it would be engaged. Until V12, while it worked well on highways (although I can't compare it to other brands lane-keep and TACC so don't know if it is better), we never made it even a block from highway exit ramp without disengaging. Now we can (but under intense supervision, and sadly, the FSD on highways is less reliable, which is surprising because it is still the V11 software (although we upgraded from V11.4.3, not 4.9 so perhaps that's when the downgrade happened.)

I will concede that the OTA updates while they give and take away, mean neither of us are stuck with the version of "full self driving" (another BS name from lord elon) that our cars shipped with. Since I actually paid for it, that is a plus although it took 3.5 years until V12 before I believe FSD may not always be a dangerous party trick.

Many ask me why I still own the tesla given my hate for it, and the answer is that we are a one-car family and my husband loves it. He deserves a car he loves but knows that this will likely be his last tesla unless I die before we need to replace this car. We keep our cars 7 - 8 years so I'm still 3 - 4 years out from having to find a replacement. I'm hoping the tesla will last because currently I don't see anything on the market that fits my criteria. I came from a crossover and desperately miss the squared off back so I can hold more than the hatch back. So it isn't like I can pick any one of the nice sedans on the market. Nor can I go full-size with a Pacifica because we park in a public underground garage and it would be awfully tight, not just for us but our neighbours on either side. So I wait and watch. And while I'll never go pure ICE, I suspect our next vehicle will be a PHEV because of where we live and where we like to travel.

Reactions: PassingLane
With each new FSD release we would enable it, try it, and disengage the moment it failed for us and use that to define where it would be engaged. Until V12, while it worked well on highways (although I can't compare it to other brands lane-keep and TACC so don't know if it is better), we never made it even a block from highway exit ramp without disengaging. Now we can (but under intense supervision, and sadly, the FSD on highways is less reliable, which is surprising because it is still the V11 software (although we upgraded from V11.4.3, not 4.9 so perhaps that's when the downgrade happened.)

You've got to stop just disengaging it all the time. Give the car a chance. Also, once you are past whatever the problem was, turn it back on.
Yes, there are still a few problem spots for FSD, but only a few.

I got my Cybertruck last week. It's stressful to drive, because I don't have FSD on it yet. FSD on my other cars makes driving so much less stressful.

Drivers who were on 2024.8.x never received any updates in April bringing FSD from 11 to 12?

I was seriously thinking about purchasing FSD with the price drop.

Missing out on the free trial has made me disappointed with how Tesla has handled this whole FSD 12 rollout and the free trial.

I have no idea why it would be so difficult to push FSD 12 to the 2024.8 branch.

Seems par for the course with Tesla.
We should trade cars. We stopped using Autopilot due to all the fails and then decided to give it one more shot when FSD became free for a month. It's still glitched and unpredictable even in perfect conditions. Every update to FSD/Autopilot changes removes the ability to just engage cruise control. We wish Tesla would stop rolling out FSD/Autopilot updates to us :)

You've got to stop just disengaging it all the time.

No I don't. I've done my time, taught 3 teens to drive and no longer have to drive with any learning driver.

When FSD feels as safe (or safer) than driving on my own, I'll use it. Until then, I won't.

BTW: if driving without the obviously flawed FSD is so stressful for you, perhaps you should re-evaluate your own driving skills. Or your purchasing decisions.

No I don't. I've done my time, taught 3 teens to drive and no longer have to drive with any learning driver.

When FSD feels as safe (or safer) than driving on my own, I'll use it. Until then, I won't.

BTW: if driving without the obviously flawed FSD is so stressful for you, perhaps you should re-evaluate your own driving skills. Or your purchasing decisions.
I agree with you. It's flawed and worse than not having it all. Even the new Cybertruck has phantom braking which almost caused a collision in one recent review.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
I'm a shareholder and I'm voting NO on his stupid compensation thing because of this, **** him. Him declaring in earnings call all Tesla owners have access to FSD v12, and zero follow up to people on 2024.8.9 from anyone at Tesla after that, was final straw.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
Didn’t realize that was still the case. However, I thought FSD v12 had more restrictive hardware requirements than other FSD versions — is that incorrect?
Not as far as I am aware. Initially, v12 wasn't supported on legacy MS/MX (MCU2), but that has been resolved at this point. It still isn't supported on MCU1 vehicles, but that's no different than v11.