Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally TMC is browsable again, yesterday was a really pain to navigate this thread.

Although i hate to pile up on the seats thing which got out of control, there are some presumption here which are not feasible. This is not possible

If you take a look at the following picture you can see why, the middle seat cannot slide under the first row as will be blocked by the center console:

So far these are the only remaining possibilities:

This is easy to do it but the cargo are will not be flat in this case

So, due to this, I think this position will only be used for easier acces on 3rd row and, for a true flat cargo, this could also be possible:

A combination of these 2 positions, meaning leaning forward for easier acces in the 3rd row (remember Elon on X prototype presentation to the press at SpaceX barely could get to 3rd row, nearly got stuck?) and sliding towards the rear face down for a flat trunk area.

Thanks for those who posted the above images, i only put them together.

You beat me to it! I totally agree. In my picture with the seats bent forwards you can see that the solution wouldn't be very elegant. SO I think it will be a combination of the two solutions.

Agreed. I fully support Tesla and have been happy to let them use my deposit (without interest) for more than two years.
The deposit earned a place for you in the line. You shouldn't even think about interest on it. You will be communicated with when Tesla is ready to sell you your car.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. It will help in access to 3rd row seats and also increase the storage capacity. But I feel there is still something left about them because Elon was really excited about them.

Model X configuration online (for some), hooray! We've been waiting for this moment like for ages, haven't we!

Alrighty, after 64 pages in 24 hours, let's switch to a topic that hasn't been examined so far:

=> let's talk about the seats.

There are seats in the car.

There's even seven seats in the car.

In three rows.

And I was wondering...

if some of those might be foldable?

Ideas?

Anyone?

YES! God I never want to read the word "seat" ever again. But seriously, doesn`t this thread have mods? We even have a thread now dedicated to the seat config.

Reposted here from Configuration thread.

This is not possible
animation5.gif

If you take a look at the following picture you can see why, the middle seat cannot slide under the first row as will be blocked by the center console:
xseatsup.png

xseatsoption1.png

xseats side.png

So, due to this, I think this position will only be used for easier acces on 3rd row and, for a true flat cargo, could be used in conjuction with this:
xseatsoption2.png

A combination of these 2 positions, meaning leaning forward for easier acces in the 3rd row (remember Elon on X prototype presentation to the press at SpaceX barely could get to 3rd row, nearly got stuck?) and sliding towards the rear face down for a flat trunk area.

Amazing speculation here. Be prepared to be disappointed. To answer the thread title, the 2nd row seats do not fold flat. They also don't rotate 180 degrees. They move forward and aft, and there's a good chance the outboard seats rotate out.

If you wanted to make them flat by rotating forward, which is a stupid idea because it leaves 2-3 feet of unusable volume below the seats, you would design a completely different pedestal. The pedestal, as shown, would push the seat so far up and forward that it just doesn't make sense. P.S. The headrest would also interfere with the front passenger seat in a very significant way.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

I agree. The speculation is fun but people shouldn't get their hopes up. I am a believer in the tilt forward mechanism, and the third row folding to the back to create a flatter shelf. Despite being able to do it in my Odyssey, nobody will be hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood in this vehicle easily, in my opinion. I can deal with that. Home Depot rents trucks.

Seems to me much less practical than an MPV with it's non flat floor and presumably restricted vertical load space between the folded rear seat and the tailgate :S

I have an old minivan, which I'll often remove the seats to fit mountain bikes in for example (so not just 4x8 sheets). I can get 3 fully assembled bikes and 3 people in for a trip. (more if I take off the front wheels)

I guess I could put the bikes on a roof rack, but I don't like them on show.

Finally TMC is browsable again, yesterday was a really pain to navigate this thread.

Although i hate to pile up on the seats thing which got out of control, there are some presumption here which are not feasible. This is not possible
View attachment 92779

View attachment 92780

View attachment 92786

View attachment 92785

So, due to this, I think this position will only be used for easier acces on 3rd row and, for a true flat cargo, this could also be possible:
View attachment 92787

I can't promise that it will do the spooning, but as posted several times before, the center console has a space under the rear part of it. Even the Model S has this. So, the center seat would still have space to slide.

I'll bet the 3rd row seats fold aft like a minivan and provide a decently sized and level loading area, even without compromising the use of the 2nd row seats.

These fancy 2nd row seats are parts of the Signature Series as "Independently operable, 3-adult second row seats". I'm guessing the base seating option for the 2nd row is much simpler and will collapse down with the seatback folding forward to extend the level loading area, similar to the back seats in the MS.

You may be able to get your 4x8 plywood in there yet...

I can't promise that it will do the spooning, but as posted several times before, the center console has a space under the rear part of it. Even the Model S has this. So, the center seat would still have space to slide.

If your are talking about this, it's not enough space:
xseats prototype.png

(granted it's from the prototype)

I'm counting on they didn't give up on folding the seats from the prototype
xseats proto presentation.jpg