Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Count me as another person who has held a Model X reservation for 3 years and has not yet configured .. waiting for folding second row seats. Without them, the vehicle just doesn't work for our needs.

Same here. Let's hope we don't need to wait 10 years ! (Work for me if removable: two capitain chair without any electronic if needed to achieve that !)

... waiting for folding second row seats...

I have no basis but this is what I believe: Since the vehicle is incredibly complicated (1 lemon lawsuit, multiple reports of quality control issues...), implementation of folding second row seats would possibly even further delay its production.

I like every little aspects of Model X, from automatic front doors to the Falcon Wing doors and I don't mind to endure through post-production repairs because that would be my cost for owning a leading edge technology.

However, since I can carry a lot of stuff in my Model S, I am waiting to upgrade to the ability of carrying even more stuff in a revised Model X with folding second row seats.

I believe that day will come, but first thing first: current production needs to be stabilized first, the lemon lawsuit needs to be resolved... and the continuation of designing folding second row seats will happen. Just don't ask me when :)

I think that is the case. With a normal car manufacturer, you could expect to see that in 7-8 years, given the normal product development cycle in the industry. With Tesla, and the X in specific, I think you're going to see the X, largely as is, sold for up to a decade or longer. Tesla design is going to be significantly consumed for many years with Model 3, Model Y, Roadster, a possible Truck. Given how far they pushed the envelope in the Model X design, it's already gotten the design work it's going to get, and a Model X 2.0 isn't going to arrive until the current base design is so obviously out of date that it just doesn't sell anymore.

Your point makes sense, so perhaps I will not hold on to that "dream wish" and just get the X as it is today. Perhaps once there is a revision of the X, It will be time to upgrade anyway.

I am also interested in the Audi Q7 e-tron, however like all other non-Teslas, there will not likely to be any OTA updates offered unless they also emulate that amazing feature.

I think/hope many phenomenal features are coming to Teslas via future updates... better phone interactive features, autonomous driving integrated with the Nav system, better battery management with increased range, etc.

Last edited:
Not that I would try to talk anyone out of getting an X, but since the 5 seaters are soon to be delivered and there is a reasonable chance they could have a Model S like second row, it might be worth waiting if this is critical. But there also is speculation that they will not offer a 3rd row with a middle bench like seat so ...