Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat owners, any solutions to keep things in the back with third row folded down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neon001

May 12, 2019
Md
I'm concerned that with the rear seats folded down, loose items in the trunk could roll forward into the cabin area through the gap between the captains chairs. Does anyone have a barrier or some kind of solution that could be fixed in place to keep that back area separated from the main cabin?

Other question - how do you usually use the subtrunk? The cover doesn't appear to have any catch to stay up, and it appears we lost some of the adjustability of the pre-refresh models since there aren't multiple fixed positions for it (tilted up, normal position flat, lower position flat). Do you just remove the subtrunk cover? I'm considering doing this if I can't find a solution to the above issue since the space behind the third row is very small without the subtrunk.

We will think about this issue and its solution. To prevent the item from rolling into the front seat, the under-seat storage could be used for the barriers.

Someone replied to me in another thread with this:

Got my MXP delivered so bit the bullet and order this cargo divider as we have some planned trips coming up with the kids. Will see how it is when it finally gets here from the EU (guessing 14-21 days, hopefully before our Thanksgiving weekend trip). 😬🤞

And those Costco runs. lol

Here's an entertaining review of this German engineering product.."cut out that part" haha

Here's another similar euro option for a little less money: Car accessories | DYNAMIC PT (found on reddit)

I've been holding off on these carpeted options from Europe because they don't seem to work with any kind of all weather mats installed on the seat backs. Might just go for a less elegant solution like the dog cargo liner (no disrespect to jbadger). Looks like it could be stowed in the sub trunk or frunk for situations where you're not carrying a lot of stuff that would move forward.

Please share your thoughts on the securing wall once you try it out.

Here's another similar euro option for a little less money: Car accessories | DYNAMIC PT (found on reddit)
Looks the same, slightly different dimensions. I do like how it attaches to the anchor points. The only thing sketchy to me is that it seems like it's a random fabrication company's website. Probably legit, but seems sketchy initially.

Plus it's not "German engineered" j/k

Reactions: Neon001
Looks the same, slightly different dimensions. I do like how it attaches to the anchor points. The only thing sketchy to me is that it seems like it's a random fabrication company's website. Probably legit, but seems sketchy initially.

Plus it's not "German engineered" j/k
Agree. I'm a little leery about ordering until I know someone has successfully completed a sale. And you're right about the "engineering" on those couple of pieces of MDF with some carpeting on them. Ha! 🤣 Might even try a DIY on this one... Only piece that might provide a challenge are those mounting anchors

Reactions: awd_rails
Might just go for a less elegant solution like the dog cargo liner (no disrespect to jbadger).
No disrespect taken 😊. I actually bought it for my dog, then realized it was useful for preventing things from sliding into the main cabin. If I didn't have a dog or I was going to carry heavier things, I'd probably want to get something stronger and more rigid.

Agree. I'm a little leery about ordering until I know someone has successfully completed a sale. And you're right about the "engineering" on those couple of pieces of MDF with some carpeting on them. Ha! 🤣 Might even try a DIY on this one... Only piece that might provide a challenge are those mounting anchors
For the mounting anchors, you can just use a drill router to cut out a few cm off the surface of the MDF so that the latch sits below/inside the board.

I have a 6 seat X on order. Is it not possible to just use the rear subtrunk cover as a divider? Was planning on keeping the sbutrunk generally oen anyway for groceries and such.
I don't think it nicely latches on there in any way but I don't have mine yet so can't say if there is any elegant way to use it like this. But this would have been a great feature if it did work this way!

Okay, finally got that "German engineered" cargo divider delivery from Germany. Build quality is good. If I had to pick about anything, it would be that I don't like the latch hardware they used too much because it has some slightly sharp corners. Fits nicely. The latch mechanism does require a slight tilt of the divider to allow it to slide into the Tesla floor latches (so much for finely spec German engineering, I see what the guy in the video was struggling a bit with for a sec in the video 😅). Fits in the sub trunk nicely also. Nothing super exciting; does what it advertises to do.

Only thing of note is that if you plan on having an all weather cover on the third row seat back, probably will not work with it because the clearance for the latch hardware is pretty tight.

Will be on my Costco run now. Some pictures for the rest of you to drool over and be jealous 🤪 j/k

Model X - cargo divider 0.jpg

Model X - cargo divider 1.jpg

Model X - cargo divider 2.jpg

Model X - cargo divider 3.jpg

Model X - cargo divider 4.jpg

Okay, finally got that "German engineered" cargo divider delivery from Germany. Build quality is good. If I had to pick about anything, it would be that I don't like the latch hardware they used too much because it has some slightly sharp corners. Fits nicely. The latch mechanism does require a slight tilt of the divider to allow it to slide into the Tesla floor latches (so much for finely spec German engineering, I see what the guy in the video was struggling a bit with for a sec in the video 😅). Fits in the sub trunk nicely also. Nothing super exciting; does what it advertises to do.

Only thing of note is that if you plan on having an all weather cover on the third row seat back, probably will not work with it because the clearance for the latch hardware is pretty tight.

Will be on my Costco run now. Some pictures for the rest of you to drool over and be jealous 🤪 j/
Nice, thanks for sharing the pictures. I can’t tell from the last one, but when it is in the sub trunk can you fit stuff in there on top or underneath still?