Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be concerned with a bottle of liquid spilled into flooring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife called me and said an "incident" happened with the MXP (going through my head: great, it's only 5 weeks old. what's damaged and how much is this going to cost 😠). So she had a glass bottle of apple cider "explode" in the back because she did not secure it properly and I guess several of the glass bottles rolled around banging on each other until one of them exploded. The bottle is one of those standard 25 fl oz.

MXP so 6 seat configuration. She had the 3rd row seats folded down and luckily I had already installed the all weather mats in the car. She said most of the apple cider got on the 3rd row seat backing and on the all weather floor mat in the 2nd/3rd row flooring. She said she cleaned most of it up, but couldn't tell me how approximately how much liquid she cleaned up. However, when I got home to look it over, I could feel that the carpet was pretty damp where the rubber mat ended at the food of the 3rd row (possibly from the liquid over flowing where the mat has breaking points to allow installation/removal of the map for cleaning).

Anyways, so I used my shop vac to go over the entire floor and 3rd row seat back carpeting. It didn't seem to pull up my significant liquids. Then used a Bissell portable carpet cleaner to clean the carpet with carpet cleaner solution as it was pretty sticky from the apple cider. However, I did notice that there was liquid seeping out of the weather seal along the base of car where the FWD closes. I couldn't see how to pull the weather strip along the body off as it seems like it's held on with some glue adhesive. So I just tried to squeeze the weather strip along to where there are little air holes to try to get as much of the liquid out the weather strip. The carpet was pretty try this morning (luckily it's been pretty dry in SoCal with the Santa Ana winds), but the small carpet piece when you move the 2nd row captain's chair forward (that slides under the main flooring) was still damp this morning. So I pulled both seats as much forward as possible to get those small carpet trims to dry.

Because I can't tell how much of the apple cider went into the flooring, so assuming the majority of the 25 fl oz went into the flooring, how concerned I should be? My concern is that there was liquid in the weather seal so must be a decent amount that soaked through the floor. Is there anything else I should do and/or pull apart to look to clean?

I'm no expert here but I would be in there with large plastic bottles of warm water, drench where the cider spilled and vac up with your shop vac fairly quickly. This will remove most of the sticky of the cider and also delute the possible effects of the cider on anything it might have hit.

Suggest you get one of those folding/collapsible containers for the back of the X that can trap loose items and keep them from screwing everything up.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Reactions: awd_rails
I'm no expert here but I would be in there with large plastic bottles of warm water, drench where the cider spilled and vac up with your shop vac fairly quickly. This will remove most of the sticky of the cider and also delute the possible effects of the cider on anything it might have hit.

Suggest you get one of those folding/collapsible containers for the back of the X that can trap loose items and keep them from screwing everything up.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Yeah, I think I did the best I can with the shop vac and portable carpet cleaner + carpet cleaning solution last night. I felt the carpet this morning and it was dry and felt normal (no stickiness to it like when I first felt it).

My concern is any electronics under the flooring and the liquid build up in the weather stripping. The two 2nd row captain chairs seems to be functioning normally.

Last edited:
Found a video online of a guy removing the 2nd row seat (to install bed, for camping I guess). But based on this picture, I don't see how liquid from 3rd row floor can get in weather sealing. So maybe the liquid in there from rain and/or car wash

Model X - 2nd row removed.jpg

I spilled a full cup of boba onto the back seats of my model 3 a few years ago while testing some 0-60 times haha. After cleaning, it looked fine. But then I decided to remove the rear seat cushion to check. There were so much liquid that had drained onto the body of the car. There were also large electrical connections close by. So I made sure to clean up as much of the liquid as I had access to. So getting electrical wires wet underneath would be my only concern. So yeah, lift up some carpet and expose what’s underneath if you can.

I just got the below organizer from Amazon for the back of my Tesla X. Very nice,

LARGE and folds almost flat. Very strong sides. Get it while on sale.

No need for a top. Stay away from those with a top, just 1 more item to keep track of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_151023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231124_151023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 30
I spilled a full cup of boba onto the back seats of my model 3 a few years ago while testing some 0-60 times haha. After cleaning, it looked fine. But then I decided to remove the rear seat cushion to check. There were so much liquid that had drained onto the body of the car. There were also large electrical connections close by. So I made sure to clean up as much of the liquid as I had access to. So getting electrical wires wet underneath would be my only concern. So yeah, lift up some carpet and expose what’s underneath if you can.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any easy way to get under the flooring on the MX second and third row sections. I think I did the best I could with shop vac and carpet cleaner. I don’t think I want to go through with having Tesla pull the flooring up just to check. Only time will tell now, everything seems to be okay so far 🙏🤞