Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpet instead of floor mats for trunk area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking to get some all weather floor mats for the Tesla Model Y. But I don't really want to spend extra few hundred bucks for the back part of the Tesla Model Y mainly because if I'm just hauling clean stuff I rather have that carpet flooring. The only activities that may warrant some kind of floor mat is snowboarding, bringing a bike / E-scooter. But I don't do those activities often enough to warrant a $100+ Tesla floor mat that can't be used for anything else and would need to be stored if I don't want to use it.

But I just figured what about just getting some generic carpet from Target or see if a carpet store is willing to give me free or cheap samples that I could use as a cover for the Tesla Model Y. If I got free large carpet sample, maybe I can cut it up to shape it for the Tesla interior or just do a simple rectangle shape that covers most of the trunk? Like one carpet for when the seats are folded up and a bigger size if the seats are folded down. I felt this would make more economical sense so I can still protect my Tesla trunk space without needing to buy an expensive floor mat. I am wondering if carpet stores would be willing to give me large pieces of clean carpet for free or cheap that was used for another project that can't be used for another housing project. If the carpet store is willing to custom cut a piece of carpet for the Model Y, I'd pay a little extra as long as it makes sense. I think snowboard & gear will be the dirtiest thing I'll put in the back, and snowboards will just only have snow on it.

If anyone has bought a store bought rug just for a Tesla Y trunk cover, what size will work best?

Then if I just want all weather floor mats I'll just get it for driver, passenger, and back seats since that's where dirty shoes may get in contact.

Last edited:
I bought used floor mats on offer up. They were the official Tesla Model Y ones from the Tesla.com store. Sold to me for $125, they retail $225.

I cleaned them and they dry quickly. Back mat was a little bent on left side but I assume the guy priced it in. He has a kid (I saw baby seats in the Model X he drove) I think that kid dropped a toy under the mat and it got bent.

Was lucky enough to buy mats one day before I take delivery of Model Y. Didn’t wanna wait for new ones and get the car dirty.

You already bought some mats, but just wanted to mention that in case you didn't buy the trunk ones yet (or vice versa the cabin floor mats), you can find a ton of decent custom fit options on Amazon for cheap now. Tesla OEM isn't your only option anymore, given Teslas are so popular now, there are a ton of accessory makers.
Amazon.com : Model Y Floor Mats

If you are on a budget, you can buy vinyl carpet protector for your trunk and cut it to the right shape. Something similar to this.
TrafficMaster 27 in. x 12 ft. Classic Rib Low Pile Clear Floor Protection 1021007HD - The Home Depot
When I bought mine for my Model 3, they sold it in a bulk roll by the foot and I just had them cut 5 ft and it came out to about $6-7. Back then there weren't as many inexpensive third party options, so I used this, but if I got my car now, I would probably buy a custom fit one.

Basically just did one section across left to right, then another one across with an overlapping seam near where the underfloor lid seam is (this worked out for Model 3, Model Y might be different in sizing). The ribs mostly keep it from sliding, but I also added some velcro at key points (both to stick the two pieces to each other at the seam and also using the prickly side only to stick it to the carpet). Threw a ton of dirty stuff on it since and the carpet underneath is still clean (only thing is sometimes some leaves somehow slip in underneath, probably due to me not cutting out a separate section for the under trunk storage, so I'm lifting the edges when I open it, but a vacuum solves that quickly). It's vinyl so it can be pulled out and easily washed with a hose and left to air dry before putting it back.

Although I do still keep some folded sheets of painter's plastic (bought a whole box for other projects, very cheap for how much you get) in the car also for things like dirt and to wrap around longer items I might have to fold my seats for (and thus might dirty my interior or seat backs).
HDX 12 ft. W x 400 ft. L 0.31 mil High Density Painters Plastic Sheeting HSHD12-400 - The Home Depot

Last edited:
I'm thinking to get some all weather floor mats for the Tesla Model Y. But I don't really want to spend extra few hundred bucks for the back part of the Tesla Model Y mainly because if I'm just hauling clean stuff I rather have that carpet flooring. The only activities that may warrant some kind of floor mat is snowboarding, bringing a bike / E-scooter. But I don't do those activities often enough to warrant a $100+ Tesla floor mat that can't be used for anything else and would need to be stored if I don't want to use it.

But I just figured what about just getting some generic carpet from Target or see if a carpet store is willing to give me free or cheap samples that I could use as a cover for the Tesla Model Y. If I got free large carpet sample, maybe I can cut it up to shape it for the Tesla interior or just do a simple rectangle shape that covers most of the trunk? Like one carpet for when the seats are folded up and a bigger size if the seats are folded down. I felt this would make more economical sense so I can still protect my Tesla trunk space without needing to buy an expensive floor mat. I am wondering if carpet stores would be willing to give me large pieces of clean carpet for free or cheap that was used for another project that can't be used for another housing project. If the carpet store is willing to custom cut a piece of carpet for the Model Y, I'd pay a little extra as long as it makes sense. I think snowboard & gear will be the dirtiest thing I'll put in the back, and snowboards will just only have snow on it.

If anyone has bought a store bought rug just for a Tesla Y trunk cover, what size will work best?

Then if I just want all weather floor mats I'll just get it for driver, passenger, and back seats since that's where dirty shoes may get in contact.
Hello, after reading your appeal, I suggest you get a set of all-weather 3D Tesla floor mats from Tesery, which includes floor mats for the driver's seat, passenger's seat and rear seat.

Compared with the half-package floor mats, these full-package floor mats can better protect your Tesla floor and prevent dust and debris from entering the Tesla floor. Their quality is very good and the price is very reasonable. I'm sure you will like them. Many users of these 3D floor mats gave good feedback and said they would recommend them to friends.

That guy I bought my used OEM Tesla Model Y floor mats said he waited like 1-2 months to get them.

I'm surprised they take so long, I was really getting concerned how I was going to get heavy duty floor mats before my Tesla Model Y arrived and keep it from getting dirty. Because some owners in other videos talk about they wish they got their floormats when the car was new.

And they clean very good. Because the guy didn't clean them but then he sold them for $125 when they retail $225. And he has kids so it was more messy.

Thankfully it was very easy, spray cleaner solution, hose down, and dry. And they dried quick with no dampness left outside in sun for 2 hours. I may have paid full price if I had to, but there was no option to purchase at the Tesla store, they only directed me to the online store where I had to wait to get it shipped.

Here's the perfect solution to your problem - you don't need to go buy carpet and cut it. Lessy Messy makes custom cut trunk mats for the Model Y and Model 3. It's a revolutionary design where you can actually put the trunk mats in the washer and dryer. All for $60
You can't beat how easy it is to clean them - just throw them in the washer and dryer
Plus, the mats are absorbent, leakproof, slip resistant and sturdy.
Check out the video and store on
lessymessyauto.com

You could just throw some hay back there to soak up the snow from your board. Even cheaper than carpet.
I've kept an old moving blanket in cars for such reasons - also helps protect the plastic trim when you can wrap it over the sides of items you don't want marring the plastic. Easy to shake out too.
You don't need a moving blanket. Lessy Messy does everything a moving blanket does plus it is custom cut and machine washable
Check out this video
lessymessyauto.com

I have BedRug Bed Mats in the rear of my MY's https://bedrug.com/bedrug-classic-bed-mat They are light, soft, don't absorb fluids and can be removed easily and hosed off.

I had some left over mats from my previous Ford F150 and I custom cut them to fit the rear.

I've had BedRugs in all my trucks since 2014.

From BedRug site
"look and feel of carpet in an ultra-tough 100% polypropylene (essentially plastic) product. It will protect your truck while standing up to whatever you can throw at it. The mat liner is gas, oil, bleach, and chemical resistant and offers easy cleanup. With its cushioned foam non-skid surface, it will keep everything in place while protecting your cargo and your knees."

Don't bother getting a rug and cutting it - too much of a pain.
Many people have complained about the all weather mats being a pain to clean and heavy to handle.
These new Zorbec mats are perfect - lightweight yet rugged, absorbent, leak-proof and best of all, can be washed in the washer and dryer and back in the car all clean. Here are more details on why Zorbec?

Don't bother getting a rug and cutting it - too much of a pain.
Many people have complained about the all weather mats being a pain to clean and heavy to handle.
These new Zorbec mats are perfect - lightweight yet rugged, absorbent, leak-proof and best of all, can be washed in the washer and dryer and back in the car all clean. Here are more details on why Zorbec?
Your Zorbec looks like a good solution for the average Tesla owner.

It transport 2 dogs with rear seats folded down. The Bedrug works for us since it it lightweight and it can be easily removed and hosed down if needed. Plus the dogs can't move it around when they try to dig into it.

have a loaner from Tesla. they don't have my lasfit trunk mats and I miss them. shoved a 6' xmas tree in the back. all that pine needles and the carpeted trunk lids. . makes for a very horrible cleaning experience. instead I just wrapped the tree in a huge picnic blanket and it was sufficient, but even if you don't carry dirty stuff that often, it's pretty worth it when you do need to.