Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - should I, or should I not??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new to the forum and wanted to get some insights from the community.

Was thinking about buying a used Model X, ideally around 300mile battery range and with seats in 2nd row that fold down and no 3rd row. That is really my spec at the mo, but I think I should have some more requirements which I am learning about.

But purchasing Teslas seem to have unknown unknowns. Wondering if the community can help with some of the below thoughts:

-Model X 2018 I heard is the best older year to go for do you agree?

-Are there any things that I should look out for when buying old Model X or should anyone that has practical experience?

-The residual prices of sub 300 mile batteries (75D?) are very low - I assume that is because in the UK they are not practical with the charging situation? Maybe you get 150-160miles on average with a 75D in combination motorway driving at mid-weather - that could explain why the resale prices for 2017/2018's models are around £20-25k where as bigger battery models seem to be around £30k+? Not many of the 75D's seem to be shifting on the car trading websites - but then again not that many others are shifting either?

-Is there any website or way of finding out what the practicalities of driving a Tesla Model X for journeys are? E.g. where would I have to stop off and for how long on a 200mile trip to London? And how many miles would I have to play with if I stayed there for a week with no re-charging (does the battery lose energy when street parked for a week and by how much?)

-I am very suspicious of clocking cars nowadays and wonder if Tesla's with their system are totally protected against this happening including mileage blockers before the 1st MOT?

Thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
Model X 2018 I heard is the best older year to go for do you agree?

I would get Raven if you can (I think that was 2019)

Maybe you get 150-160miles on average with a 75D in combination motorway driving at mid-weather

Is there any website or way of finding out what the practicalities of driving a Tesla Model X for journeys are?

Suggest you try a mix of journeys that you are actually likely to do (frequently done journeys to Relies / Business clients), and the occasional long-journey (Alps skiing / touring the continent) and see what charging stops / time would be needed. Also try Summer / Winter temperature / rain / etc.

ABetterRoutePlanner

Bigger battery does make a difference. You probably need the same contingency (30 - 50 miles say) and that is a much bigger proportion of a 200 mile battery, compared to a 300 mile battery. And charging locations are not perfectly placed, so 300 mile gives you considerably more "options" on those logner journeys.

But @gangzoom has a Model-X (I'm pretty sure its 75D) and he goes all over the place in it and says it is a non-event.

I did 95K miles over 3.5 years in a 2015 90-battery Model-S. That had a range of about 240 miles, I had about 2 days a month out-of-range. I now have a 300 mile (i.e. real world motorway range) Raven MS and Supercharging is once or twice a year. For me and the journey mix I have that extra bit covers most of the longer journeys I make

I am very suspicious of clocking cars nowadays and wonder if Tesla's with their system are totally protected against this happening including mileage blockers before the 1st MOT?

Can't imagine how you cold so that with Tesla. Odometer (along with a billion other data values - such as when the rear right seat heater is ON / OFF) is uploaded to MotherShip

When you say 300 mile range, do you mean working range or range from 100% down to 0?

It may seem an odd question but Tesla recommend not charging above 80% (it used to be 90%) unless you’re going on a trip, and you’d be unwise to regularly go on a long trip and expect to arrive on empty. I very rarely drop below 10%/30 miles or charge above 90% and whilst a MY LR has a range of about 300 miles, the sensible, practical working range is probably 250. (I know you’re asking about a MX) If you need it to reliably do 300 miles you’d need a car which if pushed to its limits can do 350 miles.

You’ll also get loads of people saying that on a Friday in June last year with a tail wind they got x miles as if that will work in winter, rain, head wind etc.

One final point, the ratings on the MX were done using the old NEDC test cycle which was hopeless. If Autotrader say the car has a manufacture rated range of 370 miles, it’s not comparable to a car tested today using the WLTP test cycle which would probably return about 320 for the same car, and real world would be maybe 290 and a working range of 240, it sounds a lot less but it’s the equivalent to a petrol car that’s meant to do. 45mpg but in practice does something like 38mpg