Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I expect 200K miles from a100D? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple Questions: I'm thinking about getting a Used Model X 100D with around 100k miles...

1) Because the warenty will be up soon.... is this a bad idea?

2) Do you know how may miles these batteries can go before they typically die?

3) Am I up in the night if I think they'll go 200k Miles?

Thanks.

I almost at 200k miles on my 2017 100d. No problems with the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_6697.jpeg
    IMG_6697.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
90k on my '17 MS. Leaky shock fixed, faulty mirror fixed under warranty; MCU2 and heater core on my nickel.

So far still runs FSD with the big dogs, no interior cam, does 0-60 in mid 3's easily, stalks, and still rides as well as the new models recently test drove.

Extended warranties are available if that's a concern. For me, I'd be hard-pressed in my potential worst case scenario to NOT put a new $20k HV battery in. That's very unlikely on the 100D battery packs. For me, I'll pay as needed for repairs - a lot less money than the less functional models they have today.

Reactions: brainhouston
Just over 100k miles in my July 2017 Model S 100D. Dual motor, air suspension, uncorked.

About 8% battery degradation. Still original brake pads & rotors, about 50% worn.

Warranty:
- Exterior mirrors. Would freeze and not open in winter.

- Rear driver side air shock leak.

- Windshield wiper mechanism got noisy.

I upgraded:
- MCU1 to MCU2. Might have gotten it under warranty if I waited. I also purchased a new FM radio. The radio and FSD upgrade were done with MCU upgrade.

- FSD. Purchased upgrade from EAP during a pre-profitability “need cash NOW!” markdown sale. Tesla eventually upgraded FSD 2 computer and cameras. Got FSD 12.3.4 this week.

- CCS compatibility and adapter. Included charge port replacement.

Non-warranty maintenance.
- 2-year inspections/maintenance.

- Replaced all suspension bushings around 90k.

- Replaced front passenger seat due to intermittent passenger presence/weight detector failures. I felt that should have been covered under passenger safety warranty.

- Replaced failing 12 Volt battery with an Ohmmu lithium battery. Could have had a new lead-acid battery under warranty but wanted to stop worrying about the 12 volt battery.

- Alignments

- Tires, wiper blades and windshield washer fluid.

Self-inflicted damage
- Cracked wheel, two bent wheels, a half-dozen or more punctures.

- Front control arm.

- Driver side mirror.

- Left scroll wheel.

- Roof rack mount cover.

- Rear window.

The list is just too long for me to type.
Just over 100k miles in my July 2017 Model S 100D. Dual motor, air suspension, uncorked.

About 8% battery degradation. Still original brake pads & rotors, about 50% worn.

Warranty:
- Exterior mirrors. Would freeze and not open in winter.

- Rear driver side air shock leak.

- Windshield wiper mechanism got noisy.

I upgraded:
- MCU1 to MCU2. Might have gotten it under warranty if I waited. I also purchased a new FM radio. The radio and FSD upgrade were done with MCU upgrade.

- FSD. Purchased upgrade from EAP during a pre-profitability “need cash NOW!” markdown sale. Tesla eventually upgraded FSD 2 computer and cameras. Got FSD 12.3.4 this week.

- CCS compatibility and adapter. Included charge port replacement.

Non-warranty maintenance.
- 2-year inspections/maintenance.

- Replaced all suspension bushings around 90k.

- Replaced front passenger seat due to intermittent passenger presence/weight detector failures. I felt that should have been covered under passenger safety warranty.

- Replaced failing 12 Volt battery with an Ohmmu lithium battery. Could have had a new lead-acid battery under warranty but wanted to stop worrying about the 12 volt battery.

- Alignments

- Tires, wiper blades and windshield washer fluid.

Self-inflicted damage
- Cracked wheel, two bent wheels, a half-dozen or more punctures.

- Front control arm.

- Driver side mirror.

- Left scroll wheel.

- Roof rack mount cover.

- Rear window.
Wow, That's freaking me out. Maybe I need to think about staying on gas.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold
I sold my December 2014 build model s with an 85 KW battery, to my brother. It has just shy of 300,000 miles on it now. Still the original battery. I will tell you that he did name it "the money pit" for a while. Still, overall worth the ownership.

My current model x, a 2018 100d, has about 160,000 miles on it. Original battery, no major problems. But I did not own it it's entire life, so I don't know what they had to do before me. I am not worried about the battery at all. Then again, it's still has a warranty for that. Unlimited miles for that vintage.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Battery will likely be fine, depending on how it was treated (Supercharged regularly? Used as a ride share? Charged to 100% frequently? - these won't be good for it).

What would concern me more would be the suspension and front axles. We had replaced the front axles on our two Model Xs numerous times (see Acceleration Shudder), and the most recent time we took it in they needed to replace all of the control arms and bushings because they were cracked. We don't drive hard, we don't drive on backcountry roads.

I traded it in last month for another Y, which has none of these problems, less weight, and no annoying falcon wing doors. My personal preference, of course. As with anything, YMMV.