Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a 2016 Tesla X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like to get some advice please. My local Mercedes dealership has a 2016 Tesla X 75 D it has 46,000 miles. Seems to be in pretty good condition. The dealership has had this vehicle for at least a year and a half so it has sit around a lot. They started the price of $54,000. It’s now $28,000 it appears to have free super charging. Hopefully that will transfer. The dealership let me keep the car for a couple days. I use the supercharger and there were no fees on it. My question is, should I buy one this old? Are there things to look out for with the battery be shot at this point. I understand the 75 D does not have much range. It’s mostly would just drive around town. I do have another vehicle for trips. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2016 MX 90D with over 100K miles. I bought it when it was 3 years old, and have been very happy with it. As you said, the range of the 75D won't be so great, and it's really a bit of luck as to whether your car will be reliable or a lemon when it comes to the falcon wing doors and the suspension and so many other things that you can read about here in the forums. The car is rather big and sometimes a pain in tight parking garages, but that's my European perspective, and I see you're in the US, and depending on what other car(s) you typically drive the MX might not feel so big to you. In the end, $28K sounds like a pretty good deal assuming you don't get a lemon.

I have a 2016 MX 90D with over 100K miles. I bought it when it was 3 years old, and have been very happy with it. As you said, the range of the 75D won't be so great, and it's really a bit of luck as to whether your car will be reliable or a lemon when it comes to the falcon wing doors and the suspension and so many other things that you can read about here in the forums. The car is rather big and sometimes a pain in tight parking garages, but that's my European perspective, and I see you're in the US, and depending on what other car(s) you typically drive the MX might not feel so big to you. In the end, $28K sounds like a pretty good deal assuming you don't get a lemon.
Thanks for your response. I do think this is a pretty good price. I’m just so in the fence getting on this old. And one of his sit around so long. It isThanks for your response. I do think this is a pretty good price. I’m just so in the fence getting on this old. And one of his sit around so long. It does have a clean Carfax for what that’s worth. Like I mentioned before. I did have the car over the weekend last weekend. It charged fine seem to drive well. For when I can tell the battery seem like it was in pretty good shape. It does have only 46,000 miles I guess which is good if the sitting around as a permit. As far as parking I drive a land rover range rover. So I’m used to park in big vehicles Lol.

I was planning on upgrading the MCU
You might be able to buy a 3rd party warranty for it, but I would personally pass. 2020 or higher is the way to go unless funds are not an issue or you are not going to drive it that much or use the falcon doors. 2016 75, by the time you back out of your driveway the battery will be drained 😃

Sounds like you made your mind up already, so go buy it!

You might be able to buy a 3rd party warranty for it, but I would personally pass. 2020 or higher is the way to go unless funds are not an issue or you are not going to drive it that much or use the falcon doors. 2016 75, by the time you back out of your driveway the battery will be drained 😃

Sounds like you made your mind up already, so go buy it!
Same dealer actually has a 2020 long range. For $45,000. But it has 92,000 miles

Thats a lot of car for the $, but it is 8 years old. It will be a roll of the dice for the buyer. Believe the Free Supercharging can only be transfered once. Buying it from the dealership means it has already been transfered once. You will be the second transfer and Tesla will usually cancel the free Supercharging after the dealership retitles it in your name.
Big unknown is how the battery has been treated over the 18 months the dealership has had it on their lot.
I had a 75X. Was super dependable for me, but the range is short and charging speeds much slower than the newer ones.
Brand new 2024 is $79,990. Less $7,500 Fed Tax credit and any State or Utility rebates.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
Thats a lot of car for the $, but it is 8 years old. It will be a roll of the dice for the buyer. Believe the Free Supercharging can only be transfered once. Buying it from the dealership means it has already been transfered once. You will be the second transfer and Tesla will usually cancel the free Supercharging after the dealership retitles it in your name.
Big unknown is how the battery has been treated over the 18 months the dealership has had it on their lot.
I had a 75X. Was super dependable for me, but the range is short and charging speeds much slower than the newer ones.
Brand new 2024 is $79,990. Less $7,500 Fed Tax credit and any State or Utility rebates.
Thanks for your reply. It’s a dealership that I have worked with many times in the past. The other side of the story they’re giving me quite a bit for a trade-in. I shopped around and I’m getting a fairly decent deal if the car doesn’t blow up. For what it’s worth it’s the newer 2016 with the cameras in the side and everything. I’m really on the fence about this. I realize it’s mostly just going to be for driving around town. Don’t believe it has the range for any trips. But I will have another car for that. Like I stated before I had it over the weekend last week. It charged fine. Ran fine Seems to be OK but I don’t know enough about them

Thanks for your reply. It’s a dealership that I have worked with many times in the past. The other side of the story they’re giving me quite a bit for a trade-in. I shopped around and I’m getting a fairly decent deal if the car doesn’t blow up. For what it’s worth it’s the newer 2016 with the cameras in the side and everything. I’m really on the fence about this. I realize it’s mostly just going to be for driving around town. Don’t believe it has the range for any trips. But I will have another car for that. Like I stated before I had it over the weekend last week. It charged fine. Ran fine Seems to be OK but I don’t know enough about them
What was the point of starting this thread in the first place? Turn off your computer and go buy it, you clearly have made up your mind. Geez.

The range on trips won't be that bad when you have free supercharging. I tow with my X90D and even when NOT towing the range is not more than 180 miles anyway on a FULL charge... So you get used to stopping every 2 hours for 15 minutes.

FUSC isn't limited to just one transfer, that's the limit on the newer SC05 version. This year will have (if it still does) the SC01.

You won't know for certain until you have it in your app and can log in and pull the option codes from Tesla's website BUT if the screen in the car says that Premium Connectivity is an "included package" rather than with an expiration date... Then it SHOULD have FUSC too. TAKE PICTURES of the screens for proof before you sign the paperwork. Make the existence of the free supercharging a condition of the purchase.

Reactions: jaj111
I’m driving a P100d 2016 with 42k miles. Its not bad. It would make a fine daily driver if your commute wasn’t too long. Yo have to be ok with the maintenance costs. It’s first year of production for a luxury suv that is still not known for its reliability.

You have to really like the cool (and absurd doors they hit me once a week).

What I would consider as an alternative
View this Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE for sale in Columbus, GA on carmax.com
https://www.carmax.com/car/25346431

Reactions: jaj111
I have a 75D. Here's some of my advice:

1) Ensure the air suspension is working properly. This out of pocket is about 400 to repair. You can test via the computer dashboard.
2) Have a third party inspector look at the car if you aren't mechanically inclined. Specifically you should have them check the front and rear half shafts. See if they have upgraded the half shafts and clevis to the newer and upgraded version as this is a cmmon issue with the X. Tesla may lie and say you made super hard turns and abused the car, but this was a design flaw in the car that they fought hard in the US to not have to recall; China had different regulations and required it as a recall. This is about a 1200 to 2400 repair out of pocket. Possible you can get it for 200 for front and 200 for rear if you mention the service board on this.
3) Have the inpector check the ultra sonic sensors and the wiring harness to make sure its in good condition.
4) Check to see if it still has the battery warranty. If not save up about 700 bucks to eventually replace the pyro fuse. Save up 10-15k to possibly replace the battery or sell it after the battery warranty expires; rolling the dice with the battery, some last 300-500k some dont.
5) Some dealerships will swap out parts and the glass on the car after you buy and before you get delivery. Document and take pictures of the glass before purchasing. Keep your inspector's review.
6) Ask when the last time the headlights and taillights have been changed. Some 2016 models only required a light bulb change, but others dont have the bulb and used leds and Tesla will require full assembly to repair it. its about 800 dollars each light.

Go through the NHTSA recalls for Model X provide all the codes after you purchase and ask Tesla to provide written confirmation that the recall has been addressed for your vehicle. If not then you will get a free fix.

• Informative
Reactions: jaj111 and El joe
5) Some dealerships will swap out parts and the glass on the car after you buy and before you get delivery. Document and take pictures of the glass before purchasing. Keep your inspector's review.
Huh?.. I've never heard of it
What glass would they swap? seems like a lot of work for not much reward...

6) Ask when the last time the headlights and taillights have been changed. Some 2016 models only required a light bulb change, but others dont have the bulb and used leds and Tesla will require full assembly to repair it. its about 800 dollars each light.
X never had bulb type headlights
Only early 2016 S did (aka nosecone)

Reactions: towndrunk
Tesla also won't provide ANYTHING written about the car's history. Point blank refusal. Expect to have to be smarter than they are about EVERYTHING if you don't want to lose your shirt in the service center.

The front half shafts are under a TSB (not a recall) and there is flat-rate billing instruction as part of the TSB that they will conveniently "forget" unless you (again) are smarter than they are - NO diagnostic fees, NO extra parts charges. $350 for both. Some have been charged tax, others haven't. Don't know if they maybe were in a no-sales-tax state for that.

There are no obvious issues with the rear half shafts, it is a different motor design. The problem is the CV angles and the motor position on the front. The updated parts lower the motor by a tiny amount so the problem "hopefully" is resolved now. Time will tell.

Reactions: jaj111 and xavl123
Huh?.. I've never heard of it
What glass would they swap? seems like a lot of work for not much reward...

X never had bulb type headlights
Only early 2016 S did (aka nosecone)
The roof glass used can be sold for 700-900 bucks. New 1200. It's really easy to take out. Other forums/threads on this.

It ws probably the fog lights that used bulbs for older ones, idk. not here to be completely politically correct. point is the lights cost alot.

Each ultrasonic sensor is about $285 with labor. and there's like idk 10 USS or so on the car.

Many dealers may swap out the Air Suspension component and resell it or put it in one of their other cars too.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston