Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying an used 2016 Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to buy an used 2016 Tesla Model X with around 110K miles.

I am seeking some good advice for the followings:

1. Both the dash screen and the big middle screen above the center console is having bubble along the edge of the screen. Does this bubble problem always get worst or it might not get worst? If it does get worst, do I have to bring it back to Tesla to fix it? Is there any good independent shop that can fix it with more affordable price?

2. The Falcon wing is sometimes closing not smoothly. When it happens, the doors are banging the body of the vehicle inappropriately. Is it just a door alignment problem? Or there is a bigger potential issue?

3. For the Falcon wings, the rubber seal around the roof area is coming off pretty badly. When it get worst, would it cost water leak when it rains? Anything else that I need to be concerned with this rubber seal issue?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the wonderful advice and input. :)

With all those issues i hope the price is low...

IC can actually be separated n "glue" wiped off, few thread about it. Not possible for MCU
There's eBay Grade C MCU touchscreens for ~130 dollars that can be swapped in, not a super hard DIY but carefulness required.
They will continue to slowly leak more, esp in hot temps
I guess in cold climate they might not progress?... need confirmations from ppl living there.

For #2, it might be normal, video would help, I feel like on every car FWD slams a bit at the end to fully engage the lock but its a matter of perspective.

#1 (screen issues) can be fixed for $2500, and will include big infotainment upgrade to faster MCU2 if you don't already have that.
#2 (falcon doors) could possibly be a major issue. I would pass on the purchase because of #2 alone.
#3 (roof rubber) is a non-issue, just cosmetic. Pretty rare for it to be leaky.
You're better off buying a 2017 X from Tesla website for $50K, including 1-year bumper to bumper warranty. It will still have the #3 problem though.

#1 (screen issues) can be fixed for $2500, and will include big infotainment upgrade to faster MCU2 if you don't already have that.
#2 (falcon doors) could possibly be a major issue. I would pass on the purchase because of #2 alone.
#3 (roof rubber) is a non-issue, just cosmetic. Pretty rare for it to be leaky.
You're better off buying a 2017 X from Tesla website for $50K, including 1-year bumper to bumper warranty. It will still have the #3 problem though.

Thanks of your feedback. For #2 (falcon doors), do you mind to elaborate more about the possible major issue that we can be facing? Thanks

The door actuators (the 4 pistons) are what make it move, if it is not moving evenly then one or more of the actuators will likely need to be replaced. The problem is the numpties at the service center will ONLY want to replace all 4 together for about $1800.

The only advantage to that is that they have to get it right and you get a warranty on the parts and workmanship.