Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXLR 1000 mile trip impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
We just completed a 1000 mile trip in our 2 month old MXLR. Overall it was a great experience. We came from a Model 3 LR RWD and this trip gave us quite a different impression about road tripping.

Our trip consisted of going from the Bay Area to San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara to Los Angeles and then back to the Bay Area. All together it's about 960 miles. On the way down, there was some light traffic so I wasn't going fast, at around 65-70 most of the time. The avg energy was 293 Wh/mi. That was my first surprise because I thought it would have been much higher. Upon returning home, it was a clear drive where I was averaging 78-80 most of the way and the energy avg was 319 Wh/mi. Overall I'm very impressed with those numbers. It exceeded my expectations for in terms of efficiency after hearing how many people complain about their crazy inefficiency.

Second, it's just so nice to see how much faster charging the X is. To go from 15% to 80%, it didn't take more than 30 minutes. With the extra space and how smooth of a ride the X is, I don't think we can go back to road tripping in our 3 anymore. About the smooth ride of the X, it's so stable and quiet even at higher speeds. I'm a very happy owner.

Thanks for this info. Sounds great. We took several long trips with our 2018 MX, one from Orlando to San Francisco and back, and never get those numbers because of the different motors. I would love to get a newer MX but it may be a few more years. I have not had any major issues with my MX, and really enjoy driving it.

Hi All,
We just completed a 1000 mile trip in our 2 month old MXLR. Overall it was a great experience. We came from a Model 3 LR RWD and this trip gave us quite a different impression about road tripping.

Our trip consisted of going from the Bay Area to San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara to Los Angeles and then back to the Bay Area. All together it's about 960 miles. On the way down, there was some light traffic so I wasn't going fast, at around 65-70 most of the time. The avg energy was 293 Wh/mi. That was my first surprise because I thought it would have been much higher. Upon returning home, it was a clear drive where I was averaging 78-80 most of the way and the energy avg was 319 Wh/mi. Overall I'm very impressed with those numbers. It exceeded my expectations for in terms of efficiency after hearing how many people complain about their crazy inefficiency.

Second, it's just so nice to see how much faster charging the X is. To go from 15% to 80%, it didn't take more than 30 minutes. With the extra space and how smooth of a ride the X is, I don't think we can go back to road tripping in our 3 anymore. About the smooth ride of the X, it's so stable and quiet even at higher speeds. I'm a very happy owner.
Are you riding on 20s or 22s?

Hi All,

An encouraging report. I have taken many road trips in my Model Y; am thinking to trade in for a Model X. My only hesitancy going for a Model X are the reports of problems with the car. I haven't had a bit of problem with the Model Y. Puzzling that the Model X seems to be prone to problems.

Reactions: Pacernow
An encouraging report. I have taken many road trips in my Model Y; am thinking to trade in for a Model X. My only hesitancy going for a Model X are the reports of problems with the car. I haven't had a bit of problem with the Model Y. Puzzling that the Model X seems to be prone to problems.
Puzzling? Not really. The X has many features that are complicated to implement, thus more prone to failure. The Falcon Wing Doors, Front doors that auto open and close. Completely programable Air Shocks. Many other things that can break. That being said, my 2022 X has been rock solid reliable in all areas. Even my Driver's door auto opens upon approach, like it is supposed to. My 2018 always had something failing.

But the bottom line is the Model Y should be vastly more reliable than the Model X.

Hmm, good points. And am pleased to hear that your Model X hasn’t been prone to problems in spite of the complexities. Another thought, too, Tesla appears to honor the warranty work very well so if there are problems they take care of it.