Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd row middle seat pin removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at the 7 seat model y and would like to keep the middle seat folded down for the kids to climb through to the 3rd row. I have one kid out of boosters and two kids still in the high back boosters. I don’t want the boosters to be side-by-side as it makes buckling hard, leaving the middle seat folded would probably be enough for a kid to climb to the back seat.

My question is if the pin that sticks out out of the driver side of the 2nd row seat can be removed? I could see that catching a shirt or backpack, or even hurting the ribs. Pics online make it look like one bolt, but it’s integrated into a bracket and I wasn’t sure if that bracket is necessary.

I'm sure you're aware but doing so will render the middle seat and regular armrest completely useless. Also, the 2nd row seatbelts become more difficult to access for little ones in boosters with that center section folded down for when using the second row when not using the 3rd row. Ask me how I know ;-).

The sliding 2nd row for 3rd row access is done pretty well and works on both sides of the car. Our kids rarely get in through the center, though they have before. But they will climb out themselves if they don't want to wait for us to get our littlest one out of the way before we can move the 2nd row for them to escape.

If your full back boosters need or use that LATCH anchors they're only in the second row and not in the 3rd.

If you're looking for a 3 row where kids of this age can get in and out totally on their own you may be disappointed. We have kids similar age (2 x boosters and 1 x forward facing rear seat) and we are always helping at least one of the bigger kids in the boosters with something to get in and settled.

The only time the older ones in boosters can do it solo and properly is when I have the forward facing removed from 2nd row and both boosters in the second row with the middle section secured up in normal bench position.

Even if the center section is down we are reaching in to lift it up so they can buckle in, and we usually have to lift up quite far so they can see the seatbelt latches that are buried in the seats to buckle themselves in. They are not able to lift it up themselves and buckle in and they can't get between the booster and the lowered armrest while in the booster to buckle in.

Another option is 2 in the middle row and 1 in the 3rd row with 1 of the 3rd row folded flat. Climbing in and out through the back is easy, but once again needs assistance (if you care about your paint). But you also run into the same seatbelt situation as middle row where it's hard to access with one of the seats folded with a booster in place.

Overall, after living with the car with a household of 6 and the 7 seat Y getting used as the 2nd / alternate transport for the whole crew this mod isn't something I'd recommend. If you are looking for a 3rd row to be used all the time you may want to look at a big larger of a vehicle, and if you're not looking to use that 3rd row all the time I wouldn't want that second row compromised by removing that pin.

If you must, maybe poke a hole in a tennis ball or a small piece of pipe insulation and shove it on the knob when you want the center section down and them climbing in or out if you're concerned about it. My kids actually use it as a grab handle when doing the climbing thing lol.

If you must, maybe poke a hole in a tennis ball or a small piece of pipe insulation and shove it on the knob when you want the center section down and them climbing in or out if you're concerned about it. My kids actually use it as a grab handle when doing the climbing thing lol.
I'm not the OP so my use-case is different but I really appreciate the simple hack to try.

Plus I appreciate your review of the difficulties of car seat/booster seat use. I've found that out as well and now strongly recommend families with children look at other vehicles to purchase. For me, it is a two-fold issue. I can only take 2 of the 3 grand kids at me at a time and I know in the future I'll be dealing with the difficult to use a booster seat issue. I keep 2 car seats installed at all times unless I need the seat for an adult. Even that is a pain since I have to remove the headrest to properly install the car seat so when I put an adult in the back, I have to reinstall the head rest first.

But the annoyances I have are nothing compared to daily being reminded of the compromises, or doing the additional stretching to help older kids buckle up.

I originally ordered a 5 seater to save a couple of bucks thinking we could go 3 wide in row 2. We even did a car seat fitment test on test drive, but that was with forward facing car seats and latch anchors and not with boosters. We sprung for the 7 seater when the same config as our MY5 order became available in MY7 back when inventories were low and wait times were a best-guess. Figured it was a good safety net for future friends or family use or heaven forbid our van went out of action for a bit (it is a Chrysler...).

In short, with our household we ended up needing the 7 and I got lucky. The second row was frustrating when I tried to go 3 wide with 2 boosters and I would've been more than upset if I didn't have the 3rd row available to me. Legroom is huge, which is what our focus was when shopping. But the narrow center seat and buried seatbelts are a PITA for smaller kids. LATCH anchors are there on the outboard 2nd row seats, but even they are more difficult to use than other vehicles I've been in and out of.

In short, the car isn't perfect and I'm super happy I ended up in a MY7 for my use case. I've also found along the way that the vehicle has a TON of utility and I wouldn't want to reduce that in any way (like by removing the center seat functionality perfectly.

Unintended benefit of MY7: Being able to slide 2nd row forward with seat backs left up to secure bigger loads securely in the hatch. I do this sometimes when moving stuff around for work.

Food for thought. My mother in law has a Toyota Venza 1st gen and she had to take the kids for us last week. I was blown away when we fit the forward facing and BOTH booster seats in her 2nd row without any issue at all. And the kids could do their seatbelts. Damn lol. (The rear seat tether was in a dumb spot though, in the hatch trunk floor rather than on the seat back. Also... it's a Venza LOL. No car is perfect. )

When we put 2 boosters in middle row the kids are completely independent, other than sometimes not being able to reach the seatbelt and I have to get it for them so they can buckle in.

When we do 1 booster in 2nd row with forward facing and 2nd booster in back the 2 older kids are independent, other than the same seatbelt issue and use operating the seat for access and sliding forward for rear foot room.

When we do 1 forward facing in 2nd row and 2 boosters in 3rd row its about the same as above - except they can tend to fight when trying to buckle in at the same time due to the buckle placements and someone trying to get into the others' slot. It is what it is, at least when we have to help for row 3 we pop the hatch and help from there as oppose to inside the car.

Anytime someone is in the 3rd row we fold down the middle center seat. But if someone is in a booster in row 2 they have to buckle in before we fold it down.

Pro move: If 3rd row is up you can prop up the rear sub trunk cover behind the 3rd row seatbacks and have a deeper trunk to stand taller items upright if you need to.