Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I don't see it in the picture.
If you look at the front of lower 2nd row seat, it has a cushion that supports your hamstrings. The edges of that cushion are atypical and, to my eye, only done that way to allow that cushion to be retracted or simply adjustable. They may have made it adjustable because the backs are fixed and it allows child seats to be better supported, but I'm optimistic it was done to allow submarining the seat.

It looks like the 2nd row seats could move forward and down to 'spoon' the front seats. (I'm only half way - strike that, now its a third! - through the thread so if someone else has suggested this, sorry to repeat.)

If you look at the support foot of the second row, it seems it's like a track, curving forward and down. And it looks like there would be enough room for feet for the front seats.

The third row, though I can't really see it fully, also could move forward and down and straighten out completely, the seat hinging clockwise from the front, then you'd remove the headrests and swivel the back clockwise etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 2,237
Lets Face it, We DON'T KNOW what the seats do.... period. They are one a kind and all we have to go off are computer renderings mean to emphasize the color options. I'm not sure how anyone will feel replacing that whole front windshield/windsheildceiling ... That will be REALLY expensive and how to work the mirrors will be interesting.

My opinion is that there are going to be two versions of the 2nd row seats.
Both will work in a similar fashion.
This is the base model seat from the Hawthorne event. You can clearly see a hinge up high on the seat floor support.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-z/9097186713/in/album-72157634244799318/
I speculate that mechanism works like the one from member "wonko":
TeslaXSeats.png

The Signature seats look like they add tilt adjust.
The part that bugs me is the center console from the Hawthorne event looks like it would intersect the lower section of the 2nd row middle seat making the above position impossible.

I think part of the trick is that the seat is really three separate seats that can can move independently.

Did anyone get to move the seat at the Hawthorn event?

I think it's highly likely that the second row seats move forward and down to "spoon" the front seats tightly. The third row then flips 180 degrees forward and fills the footwell area to provide a flat surface up to the backs of the second row. It might actually be less space than the Model S has.

The 2nd row seats might be able to detach from the pedestal since the seat belt is integrated into each seat. Anyone want to speculate why the seats are seamless and if they do/don't recline. What is up with the perfect square in the center?

It looks like the chrome pillar that the 2nd row seats are attached to are adjustable and can be moved all the way to the rear as far as possible. The seats themselves would then need to be moved all the way back in relation to this chrome pillar. Then, you can see a slot on the vertical pillar where the seats should be able to pivot forward and hopefully lie horizontal. The 3rd row would simply fold forward.

You would never want the 2nd or 3rd row seats to fold backwards, exposing the leather. The leather needs to be protected from whatever you're transporting, so the back of the seats always need to be on top.

Yep, this makes sense to me as well.

Also for cars without the 3rd row seating option, presumably the 2nd row seats are all the way back (to maximise legroom and avoid a gap) and in that position they can just simply fold forward.

I now DO NOT think the seats submarine forward. After thinking through it some more, the pedestal design, as depicted in the interior rendering, just doesn't support that movement very well. It would not clear up much floor space to have that large pedestal behind the seat. The pedestal design does support an outward rotation however. I think the gap at the front of the pedestal (as seen in this processed pic: http://i.imgur.com/MOXtqBc.jpg) is for a strut that allows the seat to rotate.

So if anyone's keeping track or cares, my prediction is:

3rd Row:
- both seats fold aft like in a minivan
- this creates a level loading floor from the hatch opening to the shelf above the motor
2nd Row:
- the 3 seats operate independently
- the pedestals translate in the floor fore and aft
- the seats recline as a unit (the lower portion rotates up with the backrest)
- the outboard seats rotate outboard to assist with kid or infirm people ingress/egress
- to get easy access to the 3rd row, the outboard seats translate forward
- to maximize cargo volume, all the seats translate to the forward extent of the pedestal travel

Enough for now, exciting times ahead for those that have been ever-so-patently waiting for the production configuration details.

Last edited:
I also don't think the Sig seats do any kind of gymnastics beyond maybe rotating outbound. One of the things that I did not notice the first time is the "Adult 2nd row seats" are under the Sig section, which means they will be an option on standard MXs, with less fancy fold-flat seat being the standard config.

At the suggestion of some users I thought all of us that still want to talk about the seats can do so in this thread. I feel like I'm an AR impersonator. Comeback and give us your input!

After reading through the initial thread some people have come up with some, ahem, novel ways of getting the 2nd row out of the way to create more storage. I still believe the simplest explanation is that they just simply fold forward flat. EM made such an emphasis on UTILITY at the X reveal--he showed 2-4 slides on the various things you can haul in the back with the second and third rows folded flat--that I can't imagine Tesla forgoing this relatively basic feature. I've attached one screen cap of the video here showing a slide with the two rows folded flat.

IMG_0393.PNG

I believe the kinda-diamond shaped plastic thing on the lateral surface of the second row seats is actually a knob that folds the seat back forward (and maybe backward). I know the picture shows a continuous piece of leather suggesting the seat back doesn't move independent of the seat bottom. But, since this appears to be a computer render, rather than a real photo, I think this was a detail missed/left out deliberately.

MOXtqBc-2.jpg
Pic from isandunk on reddit

I also see that the electronic seat controller on the 2nd row is different than the first row. The second row controller seeming to show the seat back isn't movable. I think that this controller is designed to only move the second row (either the entire row, 60/40, or individually) front and back. I think they simply chose to replace the simple arrowed switch from the prototype with a more elegant look.

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 9.59.00 PM.png
pic is from mark-z's flickr of the "prototype"

These are my $.02.......that i've been pondering all day.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.PNG
    IMG_0394.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_0379.PNG
    IMG_0379.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1,188
I would really REALLY love for the 2nd & 3rd row seats to fold and create a big flat area, like the reveal long ago. The headrests in the new renderings make it seem like that's not a possibility. Surprise me Elon!

Model X configuration online (for some), hooray! We've been waiting for this moment like for ages, haven't we!

Alrighty, after 64 pages in 24 hours, let's switch to a topic that hasn't been examined so far:

=> let's talk about the seats.

There are seats in the car.

There's even seven seats in the car.

In three rows.

And I was wondering...

if some of those might be foldable?

Ideas?

Anyone?

Finally TMC is browsable again, yesterday was a really pain to navigate this thread.

Although i hate to pile up on the seats thing which got out of control, there are some presumption here which are not feasible. This is not possible
animation5.gif

If you take a look at the following picture you can see why, the middle seat cannot slide under the first row as will be blocked by the center console:
xseatsup.png

So far these are the only remaining possibilities:
xseatsoption1.png

This is easy to do it but the cargo are will not be flat in this case
xseats side.png

So, due to this, I think this position will only be used for easier acces on 3rd row and, for a true flat cargo, this could also be possible:
xseatsoption2.png

A combination of these 2 positions, meaning leaning forward for easier acces in the 3rd row (remember Elon on X prototype presentation to the press at SpaceX barely could get to 3rd row, nearly got stuck?) and sliding towards the rear face down for a flat trunk area.

Thanks for those who posted the above images, i only put them together.

I like it. The rail on the pylon certainly seems to indicate that the seats fold forward rather than backwards.

This setup also meets the fundamental requirements:
- leather seats must not be exposed to cargo
- flat surface for cargo
- quick and simple seat configuration (no removing rotating etc.)
- no disappearing supports (pylons can't be lowered into the battery and seats can't submerge into other seats or center consoles)

Also, Elon's comments (beautiful sculpture etc.) would suggest some sort of perfect alignment of the seats and some elegant mechanism for the pedestal that does more than just move forwards and backwards. That movement would have been easy to engineer (except for the strength needed to put all of the passenger's weight on one point) while we know that a lot of work went into those seats.

So far I think the seats will move:
- FORWARD for loading into 3rd row
- BACKWARDS and folded for cargo

This configuration is also more consistent with what the prototype was supposed to do. If you look at old pictures of the seats it is clear that they were just intended to move forwards and backwards and that they would fold when in cargo mode. At some point they must have ditched the folding of the back and switched to a fixed structure that folds forwards entirely.