Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla in Australia?

Have checked out number 10 Herbert street St Leonards. There is significant activity at the site. The for rent banners are largely down. There are lots of large diameter conduit pipes stacked up. The property was a Mitsubishi dealership. It measures 70 m by 170m the larger side is the entrance by car and is from Frederick street. I would have thought this far too big for Tesla, but maybe they are planning huge things here! No Tesla signage as yet. It is quite a long way from being ready for anything though. I will check it out again next week. Happen to have cause to go by there today and again next week. It is on my way to Royal North Shore hospital.

I finally had time to take a look at the site today and its location (mainly at my wife's insistence). While I'm in the eastern suburbs and would have liked the previous plans for an Alexandria location, this St Leonard's location is awesome. kudos to whoever found it. Just off the M2, easy to get back on M2, etc. An ideal place to start to service greater Sydney. It seems there are some interesting shops to pass the time in with Bunnings nearby, cafes, etc.

I also noticed some test spots of Tesla colours up on the internal wall - red, grey, black. The Herbert st store entrance also had a red overhang. No idea if that is new or not but hard to imagine that isn't their site.

Good progress. A good PM could have that site up in as little as two weeks now tho I suspect they won't and don't need to go that fast.

Possible Clifton Hill, Vic location

Now, this might be a bit of a longshot, but this location could be the Tesla service centre in Melbourne. 4km NE of the city.

According to this website Tesla were looking around Clifton Hill, which is a pretty decent location being close to the Eastern Freeway and Hoddle Street, Melbourne's busiest non-freeway/highway road. Queens Parade is a big route to the inner north of the city and Clifton Hill isn't too far away from the affluent suburbs of Kew, Hawthorn, Balwyn, Ivanhoe etc. with South Yarra and Toorak just a 5-10 minute (in non-peak hour) drive up Punt Rd/Hoddle Street.

It is situated close to the Eastern Freeway and crucially very close to the Yarra Boulevard, the best driving road in Melbourne, perfect for test drives around the curvy, traffic-less ribbon of asphalt:
Yarra Boulevard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZmOjVvU57w

A perfect test drive would be a few minutes of stop and start traffic lights and backstreets to get familiar with the vehicle, across the river and onto the Yarra Boulevard for ~5.5km of turns and smooth roads without much traffic (except cyclists on the shoulder) then onto Chandler Hwy for 600 meters until the Eastern Freeway onramp for 3km of pedal down speed to the end of the Eastern at Hoddle Street, head north 1km back to Tesla Centre. This would give about 5-8 minutes of normal roads, 5 minutes on the boulevard and 2-3 minutes on the freeway.

Or coming onto the Eastern go East for 1 exit until Bourke Road, do a u turn and head back along the Eastern until Hoddle Street, gives you an extra 6km of freeway cruising:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zmhVpxOMtwuI.kXFUe5giuC2c

The site is a former Volkswagen service centre (Volksville pty) a three story brick warehouse. It is currently a bit of a fix'er up'er as it lacks a roof and needs a coat of paint and some TLC. It backs onto the Hoddle Street offramp for Heidelberg Rd and right out the front is the 246 Bus terminus and a tram stop interchange. Clifton Hill and Rushall stations are less than a five minute walk away.

It has a groundfloor/basement area which could be a service centre and a car ramp and stairs to the first floor which could be a show room and on street parking out the front on the service road. The other side of the lot faces a laneway which leads to a pedestrian tunnel towards the Clifton Hill station.

Edit: That small carpark belongs to the land nextdoor, which has an application for a 11 level mixed use apartment building
bv7qBBa.jpg

Laneway - barred windows show internal ramp to first floor:
cNTRIwP.jpg

Front - left ramp leads downwards to basement, ground floor entrance, righthand ramp leads up stairs:
UToVIuC.jpg

Looking north-east towards the property from the median of Queens Parade:
f5dHT12.jpg

Google streetview from 2007 directly outside:
Google Maps

Google streetview from 2014 across the road:
Google Maps

Looking at commercial listings the past month the only place in Clifton Hill is three doors down here at the Auto Belissimo, which has a lease for next year but the showroom has no signs of moving out soon when I passed on monday:
Google Maps

However Tesla did say in that email they have found a location and would soon begin construction, which leads me to believe that it is this older warehouse looking location if I am correct. A month and a half of construction would give enough time for a new roof, new electrics and a coat of paint and signage to go up.

It might not turn out to be this exact site, but the locale suits Tesla, close to the city, close to transport routes and lots of major roads nearby heading to various parts of the city. Not to mention east west link will be a kilometer to the south in the future.

Last edited:
service cenre4.jpg
service centre.jpg
service centre1.jpg
service centre2.jpg
service centre3.jpg
service centre5.jpg
Here are some photos of the new Tesla HQ in Sydney. Lots of bodies working. New partitions have gone in, plus the banner signs of course. Not sure if they have taken the whole property, as the main show area is double storey with car parking under, a further huge open lot behind and a further windowed building behind. Some of the photos taken through a chain link fence - excuse the quality.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the new Tesla HQ in Sydney. Lots of bodies working. New partitions have gone in, plus the banner signs of course. Not sure if they have taken the whole property, as the main show area is double storey with car parking under, a further huge open lot behind and a further windowed building behind. Some of the photos taken through a chain link fence - excuse the quality.

Coincidentally, that site is where I purchased my last new car - (the Tesla being my second NEW car ever since I've generally always bought 1-2 year olds to avoid depreciation). With work going on there hopefully things will progress quickly.

I did a drive-by of that Clifton Hill site last night. Wow! What a dump! Certainly no signs of activity, but it was 11pm.

I'd be very surprised if they could turn that into anything by Christmas. I suspect it's full of nasty surprises (asbestos?).

I agree that the location is not bad. I guess you can't make everyone happy as the Toorak/Brighton crowd will have a bit of a hike. It would work pretty well for me. Drop my car off for servicing. Jump on the train. Easy!

I saw that photo of Cary in Clifton Hill a while ago. I didn't think there would be any good spots around there. Also the photo is a few blocks from your suggested site.

To start a completely unfounded rumour. Since i have been told repeatedly by Linda and Jerome recently that the Australian sigs are "fully loaded" and also when i queried why my car is dearer than if i priced on the new order page now, and was told much the same. Also that i have unique colours inside and out, and further, the new style seats are coming out on December Delivery P85D's. Further, i understand the seats are made in-house by a contractor. Could it be possible that we, at least the sigs, are going to be getting the pleasant surprise of the new style seats as standard?

Yes, I am bored and waiting for this damn car with baited breath, and now REALLY obsessing!!

To start a completely unfounded rumour. Since i have been told repeatedly by Linda and Jerome recently that the Australian sigs are "fully loaded" and also when i queried why my car is dearer than if i priced on the new order page now, and was told much the same. Also that i have unique colours inside and out, and further, the new style seats are coming out on December Delivery P85D's. Further, i understand the seats are made in-house by a contractor. Could it be possible that we, at least the sigs, are going to be getting the pleasant surprise of the new style seats as standard?

Yes, I am bored and waiting for this damn car with baited breath, and now REALLY obsessing!!

No, we won't get upgraded seats and there's a possibility we won't be able to even pay for them.

The Sig premium is all about receiving the car early, not about extra features or upgrades.

I thought there was seat upgrades to the standard seats? Pretty sure that there are seat improvements.... but not the D options.

- - - Updated - - -

I visit this site several times a day and check the official site just in case - but you can't call this obsessing.

I think we expected more than a couple of days earlier than general production....
It sounds unlikely but not impossible. I mean the early Sig reservation holders have seen their fair share of holdups, paid a big premium and had their cars go back to the factory. If they've mentioned that its "fully loaded"... I'd be getting my hopes up, optimistically.