Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Euro crash tester says carmakers must return to physical controls - Impact on Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BAM, $171 later and a physical gear selector is all yours..

2024 New Knob Gear Shifter Docking Station For Tesla Model 3 Y Center Console 20W - Type C 18W - USB Quick Charger

1000001472.png

Okay...

Reactions: moa999
Or someone will just tell them to pull their head in.

Show the evidence that physical controls cause less crashes than touch controls.

"The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes," said Matthew Avery, Euro NCAP's director of strategic development.

Industry wide problem how?

"New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving," he said.

Does looking at/for a physical button or switch not take your eyes off the road?

In regards to turn signals: A button on the steering wheel is a physical control so im not sure what they are talking about, its not on the control screen.

"Tesla is probably at greatest risk here, having recently ditched physical stalks that instead move the turn signal functions to haptic buttons on the steering wheel."

Or NCAP just received a brown paper bag full of money from some company..
I don't know how many people really look at NCAP ratings before they buy a car... I think if I like a car, I buy it as long as it's relatively safe to drive - don't care if its 3/4/5.

How much is this really car parts manufacturers lobbying to stay relevant vs actual safety... who knows...

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Also, have a look on seek what a "Director of strategic development" role generally is.

Its all moot anyway. The controls they are referring to, specifically for Tesla for some reason, are not on the touch screen.
"Director of Strategic Development" = my job is to just listen to special interests and lobbyists, so I can garner more money for my org... essentially...

In my circle, pretty much everybody looks at ratings. There’s something quite wrong if it’s not a 5.
Tesla are so far above the standard for the 5 star rating that I don't think there should be any concerns.

They really need to look at their rating system and ensure they are accurately reflecting impact protection.

As it stands right now there is a significant distance between most "5 star vehicles" and Tesla. Their ratings should reflect that. At the moment of you get 5 stars that is all you can advertise and there is zero distinction between 5.0 and 5.9.

I did read they are improving their side impact testing which should be interesting given this was a focus for the M3H.

Reactions: dronus
I don't know how many people really look at NCAP ratings before they buy a car... I think if I like a car, I buy it as long as it's relatively safe to drive - don't care if its 3/4/5.

How much is this really car parts manufacturers lobbying to stay relevant vs actual safety... who knows...
I do not have the skill or desire to waste cash doing crash testing to check my own protection, so yes I rely on ancap results in buying a car. There is no way I can know that the impact qualities are superior by simply driving the car. There is zero chance of me buying below 5 star ancap.

Last edited:
As it stands right now there is a significant distance between most "5 star vehicles" and Tesla. Their ratings should reflect that. At the moment of you get 5 stars that is all you can advertise and there is zero distinction between 5.0 and 5.9.

I did read they are improving their side impact testing which should be interesting given this was a focus for the M3H.

A quick check of the detailed percentage shows polestar 2 is exactly equal to model 3, byd seal slightly below, and merc eqe slight above. There is no brand that stands out way ahead of anyone else. Tesla certainly does not but they are in the top group. The ratings are available online in detail, so any company can market their detailed comparison if they choose, but it is at the risk of confusing consumers.

Reactions: positiv
(Moody’s, S&P, Gartner etc in their fields ) and NCAP are for profit companies and they make most of their money from the auto manufacturers. Are they unbiased in their reporting? - IMHO sometimes, and often with smaller manufacturers, but the large manufacturers have too much clout and money. Rest is up to the individual to decide I guess what’s best for them …

How is it that the inclusion of a comprehensively advanced side impact protection system in the new m3h (Remember the thunk, and have a look on the door well when you get in your M3H) which protects all passengers in a car does not make a cars safety rating go above 5, but having missing caps over a 3rd row child seat anchor can reduce it to Zero?
Is the Zero rated car unsafe for anyone to drive because it doesnt have the caps? Is it less safe than a 3 star car which has the caps, but has drum brakes and none of the other safety technologies.
Luckily they think we are too stupid to think about it, and just go along with what they say..

Reactions: Jules22
How is it that the inclusion of a comprehensively advanced side impact protection system in the new m3h (Remember the thunk, and have a look on the door well when you get in your M3H) which protects all passengers in a car does not make a cars safety rating go above 5, but having missing caps over a 3rd row child seat anchor can reduce it to Zero?
Is the Zero rated car unsafe for anyone to drive because it doesnt have the caps? Is it less safe than a 3 star car which has the caps, but has drum brakes and none of the other safety technologies.
Luckily they think we are too stupid to think about it, and just go along with what they say..
Ratings system are typically binary to try and remove human interpretation or bias, so if the seat anchor isnt 100% identical to that tested then it gets scored zero and zero on anchors means no rating. Logically a missing cap isnt relevant to safety, but the binary nature of the testing means the installation is not as tested. Having spent decades in hotel rating systems they suffer from the same strange outcomes from minor ommisions.

(Moody’s, S&P, Gartner etc in their fields ) and NCAP are for profit companies and they make most of their money from the auto manufacturers. Are they unbiased in their reporting? - IMHO sometimes, and often with smaller manufacturers, but the large manufacturers have too much clout and money. Rest is up to the individual to decide I guess what’s best for them …
Yes they are a profit company as are AAATourism that do hotel ratings and SAI Global that do australian standards. So are the various energy rating companies. There is no emotion or influence in a car ancap checklist, and they are broken down into plenty of detail to try and cover the field broadly. This makes it not possible to just give toyota or mazda a few extra points to help them over the line.