Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Euro crash tester says carmakers must return to physical controls - Impact on Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a while back I drove a Peugeot 508 for a few months
they have a thing called i-Cockpit

508 i-cockpit.jpg

note that row of buttons below the air vents
it's a bit better defined now - back then there were hardly any visible identifiers on the buttons, so there must have been an upgrade
over the period I drove it, I developed very little muscle memory and I had to look closely every time to see what each one did
I think the general problem is that there is too much to distract the driver
screen or button there's no reason why anyone needs to check their text messages while driving, or search for their 80s playlist

Although it could be that someone from drive just saw that link on here and reposted it. At least this time they havent mentioned the Australian person like in that other article hahaha

I doubt it. The overwhelming feedback from those who have driven the Highland (or the refreshed S/X) for any significant period of time varies between no issue to that they now find the controls better and wouldn't go back.
Typically people on forums like this one are overwhelmingly positive about their cars. I suspect the percentage of owners on here is small.
I also think demanding that cars remain ‘traditional’ is ridiculous.
The issue I have with touchscreens is I need my glasses on to see the information. No issue when I first got my tesla but age changes sight, yet my longer vision (2m onward) is fine. This makes it very difficult for me to drive and make selections from small printed menu’s. The population dont all have my eyes, but there are a huge number that wear glasses for close reading. Maybe that is also part of their thinking.

Reactions: dronus
I guess most people (me included) who have reservations about stalkless cars are those who have not driven the M3 Highland for a length of time. As those of you M3H drivers have said, it might be easy to train our muscle memory to use the buttons on the steering wheel for the tasks that the stalks used to do. I am still not convinced this "solves an existing problem", but can't complain much until I've driven one.
However, there are reports of Tesla moving the horn function back to the centre of the steering wheel/yoke, from the buttons, for certain cars. That might mean the backlash on that feature was particularly heavy.
Re: the Euro NCAP actions, would you reckon building a force feedback mechanism for touch screen functions and/or sticking certain key functions like wiper speed, etc at a fixed position on the screen might help with driver interaction?
Sorry, I am yet to get my model Y, so I've forgotten some of the touch screen functionality from my test drive.

I guess most people (me included) who have reservations about stalkless cars are those who have not driven the M3 Highland for a length of time. As those of you M3H drivers have said, it might be easy to train our muscle memory to use the buttons on the steering wheel for the tasks that the stalks used to do. I am still not convinced this "solves an existing problem", but can't complain much until I've driven one.
However, there are reports of Tesla moving the horn function back to the centre of the steering wheel/yoke, from the buttons, for certain cars. That might mean the backlash on that feature was particularly heavy.
Re: the Euro NCAP actions, would you reckon building a force feedback mechanism for touch screen functions and/or sticking certain key functions like wiper speed, etc at a fixed position on the screen might help with driver interaction?
Sorry, I am yet to get my model Y, so I've forgotten some of the touch screen functionality from my test drive.
Yeah, horn in the standard position on the M3H is a good thing IMHO, and I think they fixed that on the S/X.

I really don't find any need to interract with screen controls in general driving. For wipers, I use the dedicated button on the wheel and the scroll left/right if I need to but I generally don't. For me the auto function works well during any rain, I just get the occasional dry wipe (though even those have gone away now and I haven't had one for over a week).

So do motorbikes
Motorbikes have handlebars not steering wheels, so the physical buttons on the handlebars are always next to your thumb (horn, indicators, high beam), the clutch and front brake is always at your fingertips, the throttle is always in your grip, and the gear selector is always at one foot, and the rear brake is always at your other foot. All can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

Motorbikes are actually an ergonomic dream.

(And no wipers to deal with at all!)

My gripe with the Highland is the loss of gear selector stalk (I don't really care so much about the indicators). It's gone from not having to take one's hand off the wheel to having to manipulate a touch screen. Yes, many other cars have the selector on the centre console, but I just love the stalk gear selector when I'm reversing in busy car parks with kids running around - I can keep eyes outside while changing gear.

No, I haven't driven a Highland yet. It may not be a show stopper for my next car, but I feel it's just a sad step backwards. And maybe Enhauto will fix it...

Reactions: paulp and dronus
Motorbikes have handlebars not steering wheels, so the physical buttons on the handlebars are always next to your thumb (horn, indicators, high beam), the clutch and front brake is always at your fingertips, the throttle is always in your grip, and the gear selector is always at one foot, and the rear brake is always at your other foot. All can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

Motorbikes are actually an ergonomic dream.

(And no wipers to deal with at all!)

My gripe with the Highland is the loss of gear selector stalk (I don't really care so much about the indicators). It's gone from not having to take one's hand off the wheel to having to manipulate a touch screen. Yes, many other cars have the selector on the centre console, but I just love the stalk gear selector when I'm reversing in busy car parks with kids running around - I can keep eyes outside while changing gear.

No, I haven't driven a Highland yet. It may not be a show stopper for my next car, but I feel it's just a sad step backwards. And maybe Enhauto will fix it...
Take one for a drive. Once you have done it a couple of times youll see how easy it is.
Ive had my highland for a while now and i actually prefer it, especially over a traditional gear selector down in the centre console. You can just extend your finger and swipe up or down on the side of the screen, i dont think i even look at it anymore in the same way you dont look at the stalk :)

This is my first tesla but ive driven mercs etc with the gears on the stalk which didnt take long to get used to {going from a tradional T-Bar selector), this is similar to that, in a way.

Last edited: