Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Euro crash tester says carmakers must return to physical controls - Impact on Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take one for a drive. Once you have done it a couple of times youll see how easy it is.
Ive had my highland for a while now and i actually prefer it, especially over a traditional gear selector down in the centre console. You can just extend your finger and swipe up or down on the side of the screen, i dont think i even look at it anymore in the same way you dont look at the stalk :)

This is my first tesla but ive driven mercs etc with the gears on the stalk which didnt take long to get used to {going from a tradional T-Bar selector), this is similar to that, in a way.
Every ev I have owned has had a gear change stalk on the right. I do not need to look at it or take my hand off the wheel to change gears

Reactions: dronus
Here's a 7 point turn by Ryan to show how easy it is. Pretty sure he's had it less than a week.

I noticed he has to look at the screen and stretch out his arm every gear change. He is looking down whilst the car is moving so not looking at the road during that time. Indeed his hand is so unstable he has to grip the screen to make contact. With a stalk you neither look away nor stretch out your arm, and it is easy on rough roads. Both solutions works, but I don’t really see how the screen is or could be superior for drivability or safety. That video really demonstrates the issues.

Reactions: B3AU and bay74
Yeah I don't feel the screen is superior to stalks for gear shifting. I feel it's just as good but definitely superior to the shifters in ICE vehicles.

The one benefit we do have is we rarely have to shift at all. The only time I have to shift is when I return home to reverse into the garage. I can do that without taking attention away from the road but I agree with you that's no different to the stalk.

That's a software thing which I don't think there is any reason they can't apply to cars with the stalk.

*one other time I do use the shifter is when parking and pulling through to the second park I do a really quick flick into reverse and then forward again without losing forward momentum just to bring the Tesla Vision up to check the lines. The functionality to bring that up when parking nose in is something that is missing at the moment. It'll only activate if you are getting close to an object currently or use reverse.

Motorbikes have handlebars not steering wheels, so the physical buttons on the handlebars are always next to your thumb (horn, indicators, high beam), the clutch and front brake is always at your fingertips, the throttle is always in your grip, and the gear selector is always at one foot, and the rear brake is always at your other foot. All can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

Motorbikes are actually an ergonomic dream.

(And no wipers to deal with at all!)

My gripe with the Highland is the loss of gear selector stalk (I don't really care so much about the indicators). It's gone from not having to take one's hand off the wheel to having to manipulate a touch screen. Yes, many other cars have the selector on the centre console, but I just love the stalk gear selector when I'm reversing in busy car parks with kids running around - I can keep eyes outside while changing gear.

No, I haven't driven a Highland yet. It may not be a show stopper for my next car, but I feel it's just a sad step backwards. And maybe Enhauto will fix it...
When I drove the Plaid for a few thousand miles, I found it normally found the gear for me.
Obviously, you don't wand to go forward when there's a car or brick wall in front of you.

*one other time I do use the shifter is when parking and pulling through to the second park I do a really quick flick into reverse and then forward again without losing forward momentum just to bring the Tesla Vision up to check the lines. The functionality to bring that up when parking nose in is something that is missing at the moment. It'll only activate if you are getting close to an object currently or use reverse.
There is a camera app that will bring up the rear camera view while you are driving forward - if you made it a favourite you could bring it up quickly I guess.

I find the indicators and the gear selector in my 2019 Model 3 to be crap compared with my old vehicle. Switching into reverse sometimes doesn't work (if you're going just a bit too fast forwards still) in the 3 whereas in the old car, the gearbox was definitely in whatever position you moved the gear stick to. No conditions. Similarly with the indicator, if it's up you're indicating right, down left. Want to instantly switch indicating direction? Simply move the stalk from up to down or vv. Doesn't work in the Tesla.

I can't imagine the steering wheel buttons being any better, and the above video demonstrating shifting looks absurd (and no doubt the dumb sometimes-it-won't-work behaviour remains).

Maybe I'll get to teset drive a newer 3 at some point but I highly doubt I'll be getting another Tesla based on the direction they've gone. (Rather convert the old vehicle to electric).

Meh, ignore me, pointless rant over.

Yeah I don't feel the screen is superior to stalks for gear shifting. I feel it's just as good but definitely superior to the shifters in ICE vehicles.

+1

I've been driving for 30+ years and previous to the Tesla I've never even had a car with a shifter as a stalk! I do vaguely remember my parents old Kingswood that had one .. clunk .. clunk .. but apart from that it's just something I'd only ever seen in one of those Lampoon's vacation movies.

But we remove the shifter on the stalk and the sky is falling! It's always been this way! How can we survive?

And I've watched my extended family in their ICE cars .. they always look down at the shifter when going from R to D or vice versa.

Peoplez make mountains out of molehills!

+1

I've been driving for 30+ years and previous to the Tesla I've never even had a car with a shifter as a stalk! I do vaguely remember my parents old Kingswood that had one .. clunk .. clunk .. but apart from that it's just something I'd only ever seen in one of those Lampoon's vacation movies.

But we remove the shifter on the stalk and the sky is falling! It's always been this way! How can we survive?

And I've watched my extended family in their ICE cars .. they always look down at the shifter when going from R to D or vice versa.

Peoplez make mountains out of molehills!
What about those darn pesky side mirrors? My eyes are always being drawn to them.🙄