Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds unlikely but not impossible. I mean the early Sig reservation holders have seen their fair share of holdups, paid a big premium and had their cars go back to the factory. If they've mentioned that its "fully loaded"... I'd be getting my hopes up, optimistically.
It would make little sense to send the Signature cars over on a separate boat, I imagine that the first shipment will include Sig and non-Sig but that the Sig cars will be delivered first.

What did you expect? All I was after was Sig red and earlier delivery.
Frankly, after nearly 4 years on the reservation list and being disappointed time after time, by being deferred, Yes, i would indeed expect more than just a car a week or so before general production, and possibly a cap or T shirt. The sig colours are nice, but I was looking at Brown with Tan as a serious alternative. We are talking about a paint colour and a leather colour here. Whether an in house manufacturer cuts up a tan hide or a white hide.... doesn't really make a huge difference in the great scheme of things. And since they are working on a just in time principle, and don't really have much in the way of inventory, what the heck, we are getting our cars here when the new model is being delivered in the States. As evidence for this they started with black only for the new seats, but within two weeks were already offering a full range of colours as before. Different frame and cutting/sewing pattern.

As to changing the colour on the sprayers, i don't know enough about the technology to comment, but i would be very surprised if it was as big a deal as say using my spray gun at home and having to thoroughly clean it before being able to spray a different colour. It would be, i am sure, an automated process. They could even have a store of sig red bodies left over from the European launch and don't even have to paint that colour again. The factory is certainly big enough to have had them in undercover storage without interfering in day to day running. They are only using about 20% of the available undercover floor space from what i could see following my visit there in 2011.

Frankly, after nearly 4 years on the reservation list and being disappointed time after time, by being deferred, Yes, i would indeed expect more than just a car a week or so before general production, and possibly a cap or T shirt. The sig colours are nice, but I was looking at Brown with Tan as a serious alternative. We are talking about a paint colour and a leather colour here. Whether an in house manufacturer cuts up a tan hide or a white hide.... doesn't really make a huge difference in the great scheme of things. And since they are working on a just in time principle, and don't really have much in the way of inventory, what the heck, we are getting our cars here when the new model is being delivered in the States. As evidence for this they started with black only for the new seats, but within two weeks were already offering a full range of colours as before. Different frame and cutting/sewing pattern.

As to changing the colour on the sprayers, i don't know enough about the technology to comment, but i would be very surprised if it was as big a deal as say using my spray gun at home and having to thoroughly clean it before being able to spray a different colour. It would be, i am sure, an automated process. They could even have a store of sig red bodies left over from the European launch and don't even have to paint that colour again. The factory is certainly big enough to have had them in undercover storage without interfering in day to day running. They are only using about 20% of the available undercover floor space from what i could see following my visit there in 2011.

When we were hassling about the lack of options for original sig colours, it was explained to us that there was a lot of variation in the different colour paints, like viscosity and electrostatic properties and stuff, and they really couldn't just add or change colours in the paint shop easily. Basically, the robots had to behave differently for each different paint, and programming them was a lot of work and a lot of wasted parts. So the (few) custom colours were done by unloading the cars before the paint shop, sending them out, and putting them back on the production line at the other end of the paint shop. Definitely more of a hassle than just cleaning a spray gun head.

I went for a 45 min walk around the the bushland near Dightsfalls and west of the Studley Park boathouse, fantastic day outside for it and I came back to the car and drove up the Yarra Boulevard. Turned south under Studley Park drive to get to the turnoff onto Studley Park Drive, decided to pull over at that little viewing area beside of onramp to take a few photos of the city and what rolls by? A Tesla. I knew they'd be using the Boulevard for extended test drives because it is the best ribbon of asphalt in Melbourne.

I put my thumbs up as it passed me and attempted to take two photos, alas I had my telephoto lens and couldn't focus on the car as it was so close, then it passed out of view behind some trees.

I wish I was inside of it.

I went for a 45 min walk around the the bushland near Dightsfalls and west of the Studley Park boathouse, fantastic day outside for it and I came back to the car and drove up the Yarra Boulevard. Turned south under Studley Park drive to get to the turnoff onto Studley Park Drive, decided to pull over at that little viewing area beside of onramp to take a few photos of the city and what rolls by? A Tesla. I knew they'd be using the Boulevard for extended test drives because it is the best ribbon of asphalt in Melbourne.

I put my thumbs up as it passed me and attempted to take two photos, alas I had my telephoto lens and couldn't focus on the car as it was so close, then it passed out of view behind some trees.

I wish I was inside of it.

I still haven't seen one in the wild except when one visited to test charging and when I went for a test drive. Hopefully we will soon get lots of "random sightings". Which raises a question for us to consider: Should we start an Australia specific Random Model S sightings (as Hong Kong did) or should we post to the one in the main model S forum?

Tesla seeking premium mall space for flagship stores

The Australian Financial Review understands Tesla is eyeing retail space in CFX’s recently opened $1.3 billion Emporium Melbourne mall on Lonsdale Street and in Chadstone Mall, Australia’s biggest shopping centre which is soon to undergo a $580 million expansion. Possible Sydney locations could be in CFX’s Chatswood Chase mall on Sydney’s north shore.

The test drives and display tesla outside the marriott end tomorrow, I'll book a drive later in the year or once they've launched as not to take up the spot of a potential customer. I won't be buying a new car let alone a Tesla for a few more years yet, just a fan (and very small investor) at this stage.

The test drives and display tesla outside the marriott end tomorrow, I'll book a drive later in the year or once they've launched as not to take up the spot of a potential customer. I won't be buying a new car let alone a Tesla for a few more years yet, just a fan (and very small investor) at this stage.
I would test drive it now. You may not be an immediate customer, but you will certainly be an advertising vehicle!! The drive experience is something else, particularly if you "inadvertently" punch the "go" pedal!! My wife actually squealed in fright!! This is a leopard in sheeps clothing. You may have been an ambassador before, but you will be an evangelist after!!

Photos of showroom today

As promised swung by the showroom this morning. Signage nearly all in - will be completed this afternoon.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Before reading this I also swung past today on my way home from the city this evening

Signage to front is further advanced:
IMG_1882.JPG

Also I noticed that round the back, underneath the "showroom" that they have cut out a number of recesses in the existing slab and have mesh there ready to concrete in - I wonder if that is to form down stands for car hoists and therefore service area will be below the showroom?

IMG_1885.jpg

The window signage is complete. There is also illuminated signage, which is apparently made in China. That is, I believe already on site and will be installed by others.
As a side note, the printed window signage is "green" and was printed with water soluble ink. Apparently Tesla specify green everything, and I hear that the illuminated signage will either be solar powered or use green electricity. The "greeness" of the printing was a contract requirement.

Just curious to know how many Aussie forum members have driven a Tesla MS?

I was lucky enough to have a test drive in Melbourne last Friday (Oct 31) and I'm still in awe of this fantastic car & what the company has done in a few short years.
My first view of the car was that it blended in with all the other cars and didn't look particularly expensive, most people walking past didn't notice it. Others have commented on the interior and I'd have to agree that it doesn't feel or look like a $100,000 + car, more like a $40,000 one. What you are paying for is the tech that cannot be seen but is used
as soon as you drive off
Although it is way out of my price range they still let me go for a fairly long drive, James the Tesla Sales Rep called it a 'fan drive'
I drove from the Marriot Hotel up to the Eastern Fwy, then up to the Chandler Hwy and the back along the Yarra Boulevard. Quite a good variety of roads to sample.
My first impressions as I drove off was the absolute silence up to about 70k's, there is no other form of movement that is as quite including walking, riding, train, plane ....
When we got to the Eastern Fwy James said to floor it which I thought I did but after the surging forward with the very strong acceleration James told me
I had only used 160Kw out of 320Kw, Shame there wasn't less traffic around so I could of had another go. The Yarra Blvd part of the test is a interesting windy road in
which you can sample the handling and it is very good, nice and flat with minimal body roll and no understeer, unfortunately only a 50k limit and I was stuck behind someone
obeying it.

I was quite surprised by the lack of marketing opportunities by Tesla at the Marriot, I arrived about hour early ( I was keen) thinking there would be some signage
near the cars to explain what they are but nothing, After a while waiting outside I went in and again nothing to show that Tesla was even in the building. I would I thought that
been a fairly flash hotel Tesla may have missed a few sales by their lack of display. I guess if they did advertise more they would be inundated with people wanting test drives.

Thank you to Tesla for producing this awesome car, and letting me have a drive.