Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone said "Tesla owners think they're better than everyone"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One night I was going to park in a prime spot at a shopping center, nearest the entrance. It was pretty empty so the prime spot was there. Group of about 5 people were hanging out in the parking lot, and they moved over for me when I was going to take a spot. I thought they were moving out of courtesy to let me park. But then one lady started becoming passive aggressive, saying "why didn't you park somewhere else, we were all standing here and talking." They only had to move one parking space over, and they were not in any danger. And only that lady was angry, no one else really seemed to care, except her husband who told me not to call her wife an asshole. But the husband didn't seem interested to fight, he probably just wanted to make his wife feel right and let me go on my way.

Eventually the lady said "Tesla owners think they're better than everyone else". Like she was jealous that I drove a Model 3, or she couldn't stand the idea of moving over one parking space to allow a car to park. This was at the Irvine Spectrum, where there are alot of upper middle class people. She seemed to not be from the Irvine area since she was jealous over a Tesla and came to a shopping center where people drive BMWs & Mercedes.

I don't get why people get upset over cars they can't afford. I rented a Lamborghini Huracan a couple times so if I see one, I have no need to feel jealous / envious because I already know what they are like. I don't know why more people rent Lamborghinis, you can possibly rent them for a few hundred bucks for a few hours and that be enough to know you got to drive an exotic car once in your life.

One night I was going to park in a prime spot at a shopping center, nearest the entrance. It was pretty empty so the prime spot was there. Group of about 5 people were hanging out in the parking lot, and they moved over for me when I was going to take a spot. I thought they were moving out of courtesy to let me park. But then one lady started becoming passive aggressive, saying "why didn't you park somewhere else, we were all standing here and talking." They only had to move one parking space over, and they were not in any danger. And only that lady was angry, no one else really seemed to care, except her husband who told me not to call her wife an asshole. But the husband didn't seem interested to fight, he probably just wanted to make his wife feel right and let me go on my way.

Eventually the lady said "Tesla owners think they're better than everyone else". Like she was jealous that I drove a Model 3, or she couldn't stand the idea of moving over one parking space to allow a car to park. This was at the Irvine Spectrum, where there are alot of upper middle class people. She seemed to not be from the Irvine area since she was jealous over a Tesla and came to a shopping center where people drive BMWs & Mercedes.

I don't get why people get upset over cars they can't afford. I rented a Lamborghini Huracan a couple times so if I see one, I have no need to feel jealous / envious because I already know what they are like. I don't know why more people rent Lamborghinis, you can possibly rent them for a few hundred bucks for a few hours and that be enough to know you got to drive an exotic car once in your life.
Everything about your post underscores why.

I bolded all the relevant passages. Check your privilege, my dude. You don’t know anything about these people, where they are from, what they can afford, or what they are thinking. You’re projecting.

I think your Lambo rentals have something to do with it

I bolded all the relevant passages. Check your privilege, my dude. You don’t know anything about these people, where they are from, what they can afford, or what they are thinking. You’re projecting.

IMO, you missed the most relevant passage: "her husband who told me not to call her wife an asshole". If true, (that OP called the woman an a-hole), then OP should be embarrassed.

What is comes down to is that OP believes that OP's ability to park in the front row to save a few walking steps to the stores over-rides a handful of adults -- hopefully social distanced -- standing in the parking lot chatting. In other words, 'I want to park here so I don't have to walk so far, so y'all move out of my way.'

btw: walking exercise is always good.

Tesla owners are definitely not better than the average driving population.

Every time I visit a supercharger, I usually see one person using a napkin/Kleenex/gloves to handle the charger and then proceed to just drop it on the ground as if there will be a janitor to come by and clean up after them.
And if the SC is located next to a shopping location like Target or some grocery store, there are people who will leave the shopping cart next to the charger.

I think it is the "Everything" part that makes me think OP's post was a sarcasm piece? Is it just me?

IMO, you missed the most relevant passage: "her husband who told me not to call her wife an asshole". 'I want to park here so I don't have to walk so far, so y'all move out of my way.'

You know what I have occasionally found helpful? Talking.........I know, I know, nonconformist, right? Example, drive up to a group of human beings blocking a parking space..........and just start talking away. Hey, guys, how in the ham sandwich are you? Mind if I park here? No? Cool! Thanks.......

One night I was going to park in a prime spot at a shopping center, nearest the entrance. It was pretty empty so the prime spot was there. Group of about 5 people were hanging out in the parking lot, and they moved over for me when I was going to take a spot. I thought they were moving out of courtesy to let me park. But then one lady started becoming passive aggressive, saying "why didn't you park somewhere else, we were all standing here and talking." They only had to move one parking space over, and they were not in any danger....blah, blah, blah

You've got to be kidding. The spot DIRECTLY NEXT TO THEM was open and you made them move so you could park in the spot they were standing in?

I would not have let the husband get away with insulting my honor like that. I would have opened my glove box, pulled out my Tesla gloves, and swiftly if not symbolically slapped the fool across the face. There is that, for your trouble, Sir! Tomorrow at 6 in the morning sharp. Lamborghinis at 20 paces!

29dqmt.gif

I would not have let the husband get away with insulting my honor like that. I would have opened my glove box, pulled out my Tesla gloves, and swiftly if not symbolically slapped the fool across the face. There is that, for your trouble, Sir! Tomorrow at 6 in the morning sharp. Lamborghinis at 20 paces!
After seeing 2 people get killed for doing less, I’m gonna go ahead and not slap anyone but rather walk away.
Too many mentally unstable people in the world these days, I miss the days when arguments lead to pure unadulterated throwing of the hands. You beat some ass you get yours beat and let the frustrations out and move on with your day, now everyone is quick to reach for their pistol.

But, but, but it was the prime spot. :rolleyes:

What’s really funny is, the prime spot for me is typically the furthest away from the target and especially far from where people might be hovering.

I’ve seen so many of these posts of, “why do folks dislike Tesla owners” only to give a glaring explanation of why, and looking for justification of their assessment of what happened with a “like minded group”.

These posts almost always include the words jealous or “can’t afford”.

IMO, you missed the most relevant passage: "her husband who told me not to call her wife an asshole". If true, (that OP called the woman an a-hole), then OP should be embarrassed.

What is comes down to is that OP believes that OP's ability to park in the front row to save a few walking steps to the stores over-rides a handful of adults -- hopefully social distanced -- standing in the parking lot chatting. In other words, 'I want to park here so I don't have to walk so far, so y'all move out of my way.'

btw: walking exercise is always good.

I'm sure that the group chose to stand and talk in that particular area of the lot after due consideration of vehicle movements, rather than standing there because it was convenient for them.

From this story, I think the good news is that there was only an asshole ratio of 1:4, with 1 prejudiced person out of the group of 5.