Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Reduced - Pull over immediately alert making car undriveable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wanted to ask if anyone has also had this issue since I just got back from the Service Center my car was towed to today and the other car being towed there at the same time as me also had the exact same issue. I'll tell my story below, sorry it's so long hah!

I was on a family road trip, made it 3 hours to my destination to the hotel with no problems at all, but when I went to move the car from the entrance of the hotel to the parking spot, I got a red "Power Reduced Pull over Immediately" alert and the car entered neutral. Not in a parking spot yet I had no choice but to stop in the middle of the parking lot, and put it in park. The car then changed the alert to an orange alert with a turtle that said "Reduced Power Try Exiting the vehicle and getting back in." So I did, I was able to move the car about 100 feet and then the first red alert came on again. So I got out of the car, got back in, put it in drive again and was able to park the car. I Googled the alert and only found situations from years ago and they seemed to luckily have it disappear for them and never to be heard again. So, since we had only arrived at the hotel and my fellow same alerted friends from the past seem to have it go away, I headed in and didn't even tell the wife (why stress her out since everyone else was lucky?).

A couple hours later I had to head out the car to grab something anyway and figured I'll test it out. It kept throwing alerts just trying to drive around the lot. So I put in a service request and was told since it was Friday afternoon they couldn't get me a loaner and I should contact roadside assistance and they'd even tow it to the service center nearest my home (130 miles away). Later that night, I tried it out again and it worked fine going around the parking lot, so I thought okay great I am just like those other folks from the past. This morning, one of the first things I did was go out to the car to drive it around the lot again, and again no issue. So, I decided to take my chances and take the Y back home this afternoon.

Big Mistake. We made it about 20 miles, and the car threw the red alert again. Shoot, but we made it 20 miles. Would I just have to do this every so often? I can do that. Nah, I then tried about 20 times and I'd get it running from 10 feet to a 1/4 mile each time. So, I call roadside. I'm in Central Mass at this point, which is petty sparse area I'm in on the outskirts of the Berkshire Mountains. No rental car companies within an hour still are open at 4pm on a Saturday. No idea when a tow truck can make it. I argue with Tesla because they are now saying they'll tow my car to Boston 50 miles in the wrong direction from my house. You guys told me yesterday they'd take it to Latham. No acknowledgment. So, having a 6 year old with me and no way to get a rental we paid the tow company $900 to tow it to the Latham, NY location 15 minutes from my house because he also was willing to take us with him. So, 7 hours for a 3 hour trip and $1,000 (tipped the driver, he had to spend 3 hours with a family) that's not his). Crappy day! So if anyone's heard anything on this please let me know.

Just an update in case anyone read this and was curious, turned out for my car it was a wiring harness that was exposed. Probably built that way and it finally corroded and broke apart. The other person that had the same issue actually needed a battery replacement.

Got my car back last night so I'm pleased with the quick turnaround time. Anyone ever have any luck getting Tesla to cover a $900 tow job?