Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally happened [collision]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First collision since for me 1971. Was at the grocery store parking lot rolling to a stop to reposition the car to get into a tight spot. An elderly (that's anyone one day older than I) lady in a 2006 GMC extended cab pickup backed up out of her spot and into my car. She said I backed into her. When I informed her that my car has nine cameras, four of which are actively recording at all times she changed her tune. A little. The camera footage bears out my version. She still insisted that we not move the vehicles and call the police so they can determine who is at fault. I said fine but it will be ultimately up to the insurance companies. The fine officer made no determination of fault but just took the info for a report.

On the advice of my insurer I started a claim with her insurance company. That way it will not show up in my insurer's records. Good advice. Let's see how this goes. I will be getting an estimate on the damage next week. A local body shop that is Tesla certified and approved.

I plan on adding $2,000 to the claim for diminished value. You know that will show up on a CarFax report. Do you think $2,000 is enough?

IMG_0277.jpeg

First collision since for me 1971. Was at the grocery store parking lot rolling to a stop to reposition the car to get into a tight spot. An elderly (that's anyone one day older than I) lady in a 2006 GMC extended cab pickup backed up out of her spot and into my car. She said I backed into her. When I informed her that my car has nine cameras, four of which are actively recording at all times she changed her tune. A little. The camera footage bears out my version. She still insisted that we not move the vehicles and call the police so they can determine who is at fault. I said fine but it will be ultimately up to the insurance companies. The fine officer made no determination of fault but just took the info for a report.

On the advice of my insurer I started a claim with her insurance company. That way it will not show up in my insurer's records. Good advice. Let's see how this goes. I will be getting an estimate on the damage next week. A local body shop that is Tesla certified and approved.

I plan on adding $2,000 to the claim for diminished value. You know that will show up on a CarFax report. Do you think $2,000 is enough?

View attachment 986249
For a parking lot bump, there is a fair amount of damage. Especially is the rear hatch is tweaked. Sorry that happened to you.

I’m sure @Soul Surfer would agree, it’s not totaled. 😃

Reactions: Soul Surfer

View attachment 986249

That sucks, and sucks doubly that its on the charging port side. Hope there is not too much damage under there, and also hope that you can get things resolved without too much stress / drama.

The big question is, were you 100% stopped when she hit you? You said you were rolling to a stop.
Having been in the same situation, if you are moving, even rolling, there’s a good chance the other party’s insurance won’t take 100% liability. Which means your insurance would end up paying a certain percentage of the repairs and you’d have to pay your deductible.

Just my 2 cents,

File the claim with HER insurance company. Don't use yours. Normally the person who got hit will only get 30 days or so of a car rental.

If the fault is hers - her insurance company would have to pay for the rental for the duration of the repair no matter how long it takes.

Looks like a 6-week repair job at a certified repair shop.

Rear quarter is damaged, which requires welding to replace, so I think you will take a bigger hit than that. This is not just a simple trunk and bumper cover replacement.

I had the same kind of damage four years ago on my Model 3. Lots of work to fix that rear quarter panel. They had to remove the glass roof, most of the interior, weld a new rear quarter panel in, paint and put the car back together. It took weeks once they started work on it. I ended up getting $5500 in diminished value since the car was only 1 year old at the time.

The big question is, were you 100% stopped when she hit you? You said you were rolling to a stop.
Having been in the same situation, if you are moving, even rolling, there’s a good chance the other party’s insurance won’t take 100% liability. Which means your insurance would end up paying a certain percentage of the repairs and you’d have to pay your deductible.
I was still very slightly rolling but away from her.

I had the same kind of damage four years ago on my Model 3. Lots of work to fix that rear quarter panel. They had to remove the glass roof, most of the interior, weld a new rear quarter panel in, paint and put the car back together. It took weeks once they started work on it. I ended up getting $5500 in diminished value since the car was only 1 year old at the time.
I guess I will ask for more than $2,000. You're the second person to suggest that is too little.

Good luck on the repairs, we had someone back into our MYP when on vacation in Scottsdale, very slight damage, still cost their insurance over $2,500 to repair. I got the pleasure of driving a KIA POS for two weeks.
All is well in the long run though, car drives and looks as good as new once fixed.

I have similar damage (slightly less), and the estimates from different body shops range from 5k to 10k.

(My trunk still fits fine. I was backed into by a range-rover, in BC-CA, where apparently it's "everyone fixes their own" baring a conviction? And the cops decided to not charge the party that backed into me, while my car was parked on the side of the road at 1am. So ... "yay")

At $10k to fix, that will be "major damage" and will likely justify a significant diminished value claim. At less than that, I'm unsure.

I got a call from the insurance adjuster for the striking car. They have admitted liability! Their insurance is paying the full tab for repairs, a rental car and will discuss diminished value after the repairs are completed. Very pleased. Big win. That camera footage was real handy. I believe it clinched the deal. Nice not getting my insurance company involved. Now to see what CarFux will report down the road. Yeah, I'm bitter when it comes to CarFux. Ask me why.

The body shop said they could get me in late November. Not too bad of a wait considering the current state of affairs.