Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consequences for blocking EV chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider posting reviews on google maps for the businesses that host superchargers. Something like “food was great, restrooms were clean, people friendly, but 2 supercharger spots were blocked by ICE cars. Can only rate this business with 3 stars due to allowing ICE vehicles to park in supercharger spaces”.

The practice is a subtle method to influence the business owner.

Given how only Tesla (as the property leaseholder of owner) can call for tows, can you imagine how speedy Tesla’s response times will be? 😂 look at the response times for service or roadside assistance. And frankly, how often does it happen for someone to setup this kinda service (that’s not even a revenue generator)? We have no metrics or are able to quantify exactly when/how SC’s are ICE’d. So we’re SOL and only Tesla can do anything about it
No, Tesla doesn't have a play in any of that. Tesla is getting a use agreement for those spaces which are still something managed by the restaurant, so as others have mentioned, it would be up to the retail business or restaurant or whatever it is to decide if they want to get one of their own customers towed, (which they generally would not be inclined to do).

Reactions: davewill
Perhaps a change in the supercharger hardware for the V5 superchargers: add a camera. If software detects car parked there without charging, it automatically informs tow truck company. Add a sign on top warning people. That should work.
Or just mail a ticket like photo radars do...
Usually no, as many supercharging spaces are not posted for EV charging only. Generally the spaces still belong to the site owner (NOT Tesla) and very few businesses are willing to tow their own customers for the sake of EV charging.
Even if its allowed, unless EV spaces are the LAST ones left, no normal/logical person should park there...
In every other scenario I consider its done on purpose n should be punishable by law or friendly EV owners 😂

Or just mail a ticket like photo radars do...

Even if its allowed, unless EV spaces are the LAST ones left, no normal/logical person should park there...
In every other scenario I consider its done on purpose n should be punishable by law or friendly EV owners 😂
I used to keep these in my glove box and use them in appropriate situations. Haven't bothered in ages.

Attachments

• Blink - Courtesy Notices.pdf
    311.8 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: brainhouston
What can you do? How about remove a couple of tire valves to let the air out of two tires. Put the valves on the hood of the car.
Nah, leave them in, let them figure out where the leak is 😂
Only issue with this is it leaves the car stranded in EV spot longer.. (might not matter if parked there for long anyways..)
Better ideas is just crack the valve open, let the tire get flat somewhere else (although this won't teach em a lesson...)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
It is interesting to hear that this is a problem in the US. In Australia, most EV charger spaces are EV-only. In the past 6-12 months, most states have introduced fines for parking any car (EV or ICE) in those spaces unless they are actively charging. In my state, the fine is over $3000. I don't know how often it is enforced, but it at least offers a disincentive for people who block charging spacers.

I have given a couple of ICE drivers some friendly advice because I "wouldn't want to see you fined three grand just for parking in the wrong spot". Even though I really, really would!

If I pull into a Business and they have electric car parking I will find a regular parking spot. If it is a Restaurant with only the electric charging stalls open I will find another place to eat. If people start towing more with their electric Trucks then you will have stalls blocked or parking spaces taken up with Trailers because they had to disconnect to charge.

• Love
Reactions: brainhouston
Towing with EVs is not that big right now but for future, Tesla/others need to start putting at least like an edge charger as pull thru
I know not every parking lot will have that available but many def can do
Kinda like almost all camping locations have pull thru sites for long campers..

There is zero consequences for blocking EV chargers at my work. We have 2 Volta and about 12 AC chargers. The Volta ones get blocked by EVs not plugged in or ones that have completed charging and has been sitting there all day. The AC ones get ICE'd or EVs parking without plugging in. Most is staff(RNs and Drs), the rest is visitors or patients. Our parking department is useless. Iv watched them ticket a EV that was parked all day but skip the one parked next to it that was also parked all day. We also have a problem with EV owners unplugging other EV owners. I have to buy a Karen lock to prevent this. Some nurse who works in the infant floor attempted to unplug my coworkers car last week.

There is zero consequences for blocking EV chargers at my work. We have 2 Volta and about 12 AC chargers. The Volta ones get blocked by EVs not plugged in or ones that have completed charging and has been sitting there all day. The AC ones get ICE'd or EVs parking without plugging in. Most is staff(RNs and Drs), the rest is visitors or patients. Our parking department is useless. Iv watched them ticket a EV that was parked all day but skip the one parked next to it that was also parked all day. We also have a problem with EV owners unplugging other EV owners. I have to buy a Karen lock to prevent this. Some nurse who works in the infant floor attempted to unplug my coworkers car last week.

My office is pretty strict. You have to have a placard issued by HR, and you only get 3 hours. If you go over, you get a notice. We had gotten a little lax during the pandemic since there were so few cars and got used to leaving our cars half the day or all day. I got two warnings in one week after they picked up enforcement again, once when I had forgotten, and once when I got stuck on a call when it was time to move the car. I got out there a half-hour late, and they had already left a warning. My boss's boss's boss was notified and I got asked to try harder. I don't bother to use the on-site charging anymore. I don't need it to get back and forth to work, and I certainly don't need the headache.